Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

High pressure and rolling resistance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 03:51 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

How much difference does pumping my tires up from 110 to 120 (max) psi make?
Can higher pressure actually increase rolling resistance, especially on rougher roads?

It seems like I had a marked increase in vibration and little or no (or perhaps a negative change) in rolling resistance.

Is this a correct assumption?
Old 02-04-05, 04:03 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is not going to be any difference in rolling resistance. There have been several studies performed on this in the past and, the conclusion was that the higher pressure did not decrease rolling resistance. The differences were insignificant. You should always ride the pressure that you are comfortable with. I ride 90# because above this figure the ride noticeably degrades. If you have found that lower pressures cause flats then you need to change tires. I am 200# and ride Conti Force/Attacks and, don't have flats.
Old 02-04-05, 04:09 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I never got any flats at 100 or 110. I just thought I would go faster at 120. But I thought wrong. And the vibration was much more noticable on bad roads.

I ride conti gatorskins, so flats shouldn't be an issue.
Old 02-04-05, 04:14 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rnhood
There is not going to be any difference in rolling resistance. There have been several studies performed on this in the past and, the conclusion was that the higher pressure did not decrease rolling resistance. The differences were insignificant. You should always ride the pressure that you are comfortable with. I ride 90# because above this figure the ride noticeably degrades. If you have found that lower pressures cause flats then you need to change tires. I am 200# and ride Conti Force/Attacks and, don't have flats.
I'd love to see the physics explanation of that one!
Old 02-04-05, 04:20 PM
Brett 12
Look at these hotties.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rnhood
Rolling resitance will decrease with increases in pressure. However, the improvements in rolling resistance begin to plateau at a certain point. The point at which it plateaus is related to the load on the tire.

THe higher the load on the tire, the higher the pressure required to reach the plateau. In other words a 130 lb rider is not going to need nearly as much pressure as a 210 lb rider. In fact, the 210 lb rider needs roughly 50% more pressure to achieve the same size contact patch.

Size of the contact patch determines tire sidewall deflection and thus influences rolling resistence.

P.S. You don't need that much pressure in the front. You should consider dropping front pressure to enhance ride quality.

Climbing is about power to weight ratio, but damn it is so much nicer not having to fight the extra rolling resistance when you put a heavier load on the rear tire (more power goes to fight gravity than goes to fight tire deflection)

I never realized how nice it was to have high pressure in the rear tire till I got my Tufos. 180 psi in the rear tire and I could rocket up hills so much easier.

Last edited by Brett 12; 02-04-05 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-04-05, 04:22 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride Vredesteins TriComps which have a max pres of 145psi. On smooth roads in good weather conditions I'll run 145psi. On bad roads or if it has been raining I'll run 120-130psi. The tires roll better at 145psi than they do at 120psi. I've used four high end clinchers (Michellin ProRace/Hutchison Carbon Comps/Conti Attack-Force/Vreds TriComps) this year and found the Vreds to be the best rolling tire and second best against cuts/flats.
Old 02-04-05, 04:31 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
I ride Vredesteins TriComps which have a max pres of 145psi. On smooth roads in good weather conditions I'll run 145psi. On bad roads or if it has been raining I'll run 120-130psi. The tires roll better at 145psi than they do at 120psi. I've used four high end clinchers (Michellin ProRace/Hutchison Carbon Comps/Conti Attack-Force/Vreds TriComps) this year and found the Vreds to be the best rolling tire and second best against cuts/flats.
How do you measure "best" in regards to rolling?
Old 02-04-05, 06:59 PM
keevohn
laterally compliant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In contradiction to many of the above statements, a Zipp rep. wrote an article for Velonews a while back:

https://v1.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/7507.0.html

Essentially, he's saying that tires have "...optimal rolling resistance between 105 and 125psi depending on load and road surface condition."

This is because tires "...increase in rr at higher pressures due to the tread rubber beginning to fail in shear as it locally deforms to meet the contour of the road imperfections when the casing is too rigid."

He goes on to mention about comfort: "It may be that by increasing tire pressure by 20-25 psi, you feel faster as your tires are transfering more of the high frequency vibration to your body (you're feeling a higher frequency 'faster' vibrations' so it really does 'feel' faster) but are actually expending more energy to do it, while simultaneously wearing out the tires faster and inducing fatigue."

Believe what you want, I'm just relaying a counter viewpoint from a seemingly reliable source.
Old 02-04-05, 07:11 PM
skydive69

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by keevohn
He goes on to mention about comfort: "It may be that by increasing tire pressure by 20-25 psi, you feel faster as your tires are transfering more of the high frequency vibration to your body (you're feeling a higher frequency 'faster' vibrations' so it really does 'feel' faster) but are actually expending more energy to do it, while simultaneously wearing out the tires faster and inducing fatigue."

Believe what you want, I'm just relaying a counter viewpoint from a seemingly reliable source.
Interesting information. That "feeling" of being faster is analgous to those idiots who put straight pipes on their vehicles with no further tuning. They believe that because they are noiser they are making more power when in fact the dyno will illustrate quite graphically that they are making less power.
Old 02-04-05, 07:17 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
I never got any flats at 100 or 110. I just thought I would go faster at 120. But I thought wrong. And the vibration was much more noticable on bad roads.

I ride conti gatorskins, so flats shouldn't be an issue.

Increasing tire pressure will reduce rolling resistance.

But that minimal a difference in tire pressure shouldn't make much difference in speed - it's not like you'll suddenly be travelling 5 km/h faster!!

Yes, of course the vibration will be much more noticable - your tires are harder.

And also don't blindly assume that a particular brand of tires is flat-proof. I've heard of people getting flats with every brand ... some quite to their surprise.

I prefer to ride with my tires slightly flatter (95-105 psi) ... it's more comfortable.
Old 02-04-05, 10:31 PM
Brett 12
Look at these hotties.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
At "maximum" PSI, the contact "patch" of a tire is slightly longer, and slightly narrower than at a PSI in the "best" range. So, a rider is giving up some stability, and some cornering ability, especially on a wet road. A rough, beat up road combined with maximum PSI can result in the tire be "bounced" up and off of the pavement. And, can result in a beat up rider.
As the pressure drops the contact patch gets longer I thought.........because at lower pressure the contact patch has to be bigger. Since there is no way for it to get wider the only way to increase size is to go longer.

One reason why wider tires may have less rolling resistance is becasue a short and wide contact patch has less rolling resistance than a narrow long one. This is due to greater sidewall deflection with long narrow contact patch.

Weight of the rider vs. tire presssure is the key concept to understand here.

BTW, climbing is the place where rolling resistance hurts you the most. On flat ground rolling resistance is overshadowed by aerodynamic drag.

Last edited by Brett 12; 02-04-05 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-04-05, 11:15 PM
steveknight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on my bent it came with tires that could only take 35 PSI. I repaced them with armadillo's at 100 PSI. I ahve a hill I coast down right in front of my house I gained 2 MPH on the coast changing the PSI. now this what you need to smooth out those tight tires https://www.pantourhub.com/products.html#wheel I went from 25PSI in the front to 100 PSI and it feels even better the nthe 25 PSI.
Old 02-05-05, 12:00 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3584 Post(s)
Liked 3,766 Times in 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett 12
BTW, climbing is the place where rolling resistance hurts you the most. On flat ground rolling resistance is overshadowed by aerodynamic drag.
When climbing, rolling resistance is overshadowed by the work required to lift the bike plus rider.

You might find these rolling resistance graphs interesting.

Old 02-05-05, 01:13 AM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
When climbing, rolling resistance is overshadowed by the work required to lift the bike plus rider.

You might find these rolling resistance graphs interesting.
The graphs are educational, because they illustrate the point that one tire design can have LOWER rolling resistance at 85 PSI than another model has at 115 PSI. A few years ago, some tire companies would include such graphs in their advertising. Recently, ads seem rather short of any "facts".
Old 02-05-05, 04:43 AM
Brett 12
Look at these hotties.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
This ain't rocket surgery. The "profile" of a typical road tire where it makes contact with the road is something like a round-bottomed "U". Inflating to high PSI's changes the profile of most tires to something closer to a round-bottomed "V.
OK, but you are assuming the the load hasn't exceeded the tire's pressure.

Inflating to high pressure will not result in a "V" if pressure is still trying to catch up with load.

Like I said before the key concept is rider weight vs. tire pressure, Most these tires are designed for 160 lb rider so pressures need to be adjusted up or down. Likewise, the front tire pressure should always be lower than the rear if tires are same size.
Old 02-05-05, 02:00 PM
Stretch
Will ride for food.

Bikes: Trek 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All these V's and U's are only half of the story. The contact patch is not a V or U shape, it is an area. Not only width, but also length. (someone else already hinted at this)
Old 02-05-05, 02:09 PM
Brett 12
Look at these hotties.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stretch
All these V's and U's are only half of the story. The contact patch is not a V or U shape, it is an area. Not only width, but also length. (someone else already hinted at this)
Yeah that why wider tires sometimes have lower rolling resistance because at the same pressure the wider tire's contact patch will be shorter and wider vs. longer and narrow for the skinny tire. Wider and shorter contact patchs beat long/narrow ones if they are the same size in total area.
Old 02-05-05, 05:56 PM
ajst2duk
Metaphorically speaking

Bikes: Cannondale R600 ultegra spec

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a "seat of the pants" view from this newboy - I was pretty fussy about keeping my tyres up around 120psi (vittoria corsa's & conti GT3000's) thinking that I wanted the bike to be as fast as it possibly could be. A couple of weekends ago I was lazy, went for a ride after coming back from a two week holiday, and didn't pump up my tyres. The ride was smoother, but also to my surprise quicker than usual. I have tried varying pressures since and discovered that 100psi is about the optimum for me 195lbs 'Dale R600 Conti GT3000's. I will no longer blindly pump tyres up to the max reccomended pressure witout first experimenting.
Old 02-07-05, 06:37 AM
TimB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight of the rider vs. tire presssure is the key concept to understand here.
At last someone who is beginning to understand Rolling Resistance
Lowest rolling restance for any tyre is that pressure at which it can be run with the contact patch as designed. The weight on the tyre is therefore important.
Bigger riders will use higher pressure to achieve this and smaller riders a lower one.

The optimujm pressure is the LOWEST pressure at which the contact patch is optimised for shape and size.

Long narrow contact patches = high rolling resistance
short round ones = low rolling resistance
Old 02-07-05, 09:36 AM
ewitz
Banned.

Bikes: specialized allez pro, giant tcr composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When the tire is at a lower pressure it is able to deform to aborb irregularities in the surface of the road. At higher pressures these irregularities are not absorbed by the tire and cause the bike to hop and skip more. This hopping and skipping is a source of power loss since the energy required is coming from somewhere. Unless the road you are riding has a glass like finish the lower pressure is actually more energy efficient. Contrary to what I have always felt, yet true. That being said I still run at higher pressure.
Old 02-07-05, 09:39 AM
ngweimin
Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does the discussion so far cover common tire sizes or just 700x23C in particular. I'm running Vittoria Diamante Pros in 700x20c and I was inflating my rear to 140psi and front to 130psi. The result was a pretty harsh ride which no doubt felt "fast" but I'm not sure if it has done any real good. I'm interested to know if running 700x20C at about 110psi would maximize both rolling resistance and comfort?
Old 02-07-05, 09:42 AM
Doid23

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, 1989 Nishiki International, Specialized Stumpjumer M2 Hardtail, ProFlex 856 Full Suspension

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimB
At last someone who is beginning to understand Rolling Resistance
Lowest rolling restance for any tyre is that pressure at which it can be run with the contact patch as designed. The weight on the tyre is therefore important.
Bigger riders will use higher pressure to achieve this and smaller riders a lower one.

The optimujm pressure is the LOWEST pressure at which the contact patch is optimised for shape and size.

Long narrow contact patches = high rolling resistance
short round ones = low rolling resistance
This seems intuitive, so why don't tire manufacturers provide recommended pressure by weight so that riders can determine the pressure that optimizes the contact patch? Is their a general chart out there that does something like that (understanding that tires from different companies will have different optimization pressures)?
Old 02-07-05, 09:46 AM
Brett 12
Look at these hotties.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ewitz
When the tire is at a lower pressure it is able to deform to aborb irregularities in the surface of the road. At higher pressures these irregularities are not absorbed by the tire and cause the bike to hop and skip more. This hopping and skipping is a source of power loss since the energy required is coming from somewhere. Unless the road you are riding has a glass like finish the lower pressure is actually more energy efficient. Contrary to what I have always felt, yet true. That being said I still run at higher pressure.
When you say higher pressure.......you mean over inflated. Higher pressure may not be overinflated if rider is heavier (key concept to realize).

If say the ideal contact patch (to optimize rolling resistance and comfort) is one square inch for a particular tire design.

A 100 pound load would require 100 psi (pounds per square inch)=1 square inch contact patch

A 80 pound load would require 80 psi (pounds per square inch)= 1 square inch contact patch

A 120 pound load would require 120 psi (pounds per square inch)= 1 square inch contact patch

Notice that all three inflation pressure gives exactly the same size contact patch.

So all this nonsense about some particular psi being the most effective pressure for everyone is nonsense...straight nonsense.

Last edited by Brett 12; 02-07-05 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-07-05, 09:48 AM
Brett 12
Look at these hotties.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ngweimin
Does the discussion so far cover common tire sizes or just 700x23C in particular. I'm running Vittoria Diamante Pros in 700x20c and I was inflating my rear to 140psi and front to 130psi. The result was a pretty harsh ride which no doubt felt "fast" but I'm not sure if it has done any real good. I'm interested to know if running 700x20C at about 110psi would maximize both rolling resistance and comfort?
narrow tires require higher pressure to work. The hard ride is what you put up to use the lightweight narrow tires.
Old 02-07-05, 12:54 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you sit on your bike, the pressure in your tire increases. 100 PSI unloaded != 100 PSI with a 150 lb rider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.