Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Toe in adjustment on after market brake pads

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 11:15 AM
yugdlo

Bikes: 1975 motobecane Grand jubilee, and a rescued 1984 Raliegh Marathon, that my daughter is using at college

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm replacing the OEM brake pads on my Tektro brakes. The pads are all rubber except for the mounting; they are curved and mount against a concave washer on the caliper arms. I bought a set of sunlite cartridge style pad holders. They are flat as a table top around the mounting collar. That would be OK, except for the fact that the rear calipers are not parallel with the rims, the front of the pads flare out. The brakes are less than 6 months old and I really don't want to try and bend the caliper arms. Any body know if there source for a conical type washer I could mate against the concave washer to adjust the toe in, rather than return these things?
Old 02-13-13, 11:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 864 Posts
Brake pad > dish side of washer faces outward, curved face of washer fits there,
brake arm, itself , other side is the reverse, domed washer, cupped washer. then the nut.

Working blind, maybe you got the wrong brake pad, IDK.
Old 02-13-13, 04:10 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The pad holders Tektro supplies OEM on some of their brakes and Kool Stop after market pad holders both have concave washers that allow toe-in alignment. I agree with fietsbob that you seem to have bought the wrong holders.
Old 02-13-13, 04:16 PM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Why not use the old hardware from the old brake-blacks you're replacing? I think that's what I would do.

HTH -

- Wil