Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Repairing scratches to various components

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 11:58 AM
Alandalf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a new road bike so undoubtedly I'm being pretty paranoid here. There are scratches on the brake levers, crank and rear derailleur. They are all 2008 Shimano 105 components. Could anyone recommend a good method of repairing these?

Thanks
Old 02-15-13, 12:30 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Learn to ignore them. Its a bike, not a Ferrari or Lambo. Scratches and mars are a sign of a bike that is used. You are the only one that will probably notice the scratches and slight mars.

Your bike will still look just as awesome all cleaned up and polished even with a few little scratches and dings.
Old 02-15-13, 06:03 PM
bghill1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobotech
Learn to ignore them. Its a bike, not a Ferrari or Lambo. Scratches and mars are a sign of a bike that is used. You are the only one that will probably notice the scratches and slight mars.

Your bike will still look just as awesome all cleaned up and polished even with a few little scratches and dings.
Not what you wanted to hear but so much truth in this.
Old 02-16-13, 12:18 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 795 Posts
Most aluminum parts are anodized. That means that if you use normal abrasive methods to buff out anything (like deeper scratches), you'll go through the anodizing to plain aluminum and the color change will be obvious, even with silver-appearing anodizing.

About all you can do is shine things up with a very fine polish made for anodized aluminum parts (maybe stuff made for car wheels or motorcycle parts?).

Just clean the bike and ride it. A non-new bike can never be made to look new again unless it's pristine to begin with.
Old 02-16-13, 12:25 AM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For black stuff just go to the auto parts store and get universal black touch up paint (5-7 bucks usually) in a little bottle.

But don't worry too much, it's sometimes better when the scratches are there when you buy it, then you know that you didn't do them and don't have to worry too much about any more.
Old 02-22-13, 10:25 PM
TiBikeGuy

Bikes: Litespeed Ti Mtb, BikeE Recumbent, Cannondale H600 Hybrid,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are really paranoid then by all means get new parts. However, if you are like the rest of us who really ride bikes, as long as the parts work, we clean it and ride it.
Old 02-23-13, 04:57 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You bought it new with those scratches? Did you get a discount? That kind of damage is usually an indication that the bike has been dropped, at the very least. Might not be more than that, but at least that much. I hope you took a good look at the derailleur hanger to make sure it wasn't bent.
Old 02-23-13, 07:01 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Alandalf
There are scratches on the brake levers, crank and rear derailleur. They are all 2008 Shimano 105 components. Could anyone recommend a good method of repairing these?
There's "perfect match" and there's "not exactly".

Perfect match is all but impossible to attain. Not exactly draws your eye to the blemish and looks worse than the untreated scratch. If it was my bike I'd leave well enough alone.
Old 02-23-13, 09:23 AM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scratches in aluminum can be removed by varying degrees of fine grit wet/dry sand paper depending on the severity of the scratch. I've used this technique on motorcycle restoration for a few decades when cleaning up covers with large scratches. It is time consuming and tedious, patience a must, but effective. On a bicycle, I'd live with the scratches.