Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2003 Record vs 2004 (or 5) Chorus

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-05, 10:49 PM
Jakey
Feed me your soul!

Bikes: Torelli 20th Anniversary, Trek 2000, Kona NuNu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know some people will say its the same or whatever...but I've been given my choice of '03 Record or current chorus for the same price.... what should I go with?
Old 02-10-05, 12:23 AM
Brett 12
Look at these hotties.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Close Call.......I'd get 03 Record even though I know 05 Chorus is CF and possibly lighter. I don't know if the 03 Record has CF in it.
Old 02-10-05, 12:35 AM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was faced with a similar dilemna when building my bike. I finally threw my hands up in the air, and forked over the few extra bucks, and got the '05 Record. That made my decision making alot easier, since there was nothing better to compare it to.
Old 02-10-05, 02:53 AM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I can tell in the catalogs, spares manuals, etc., the technical advancements in Record are incorporated into Chorus the same year. Never more than one year back. So you get the same mechanical design - differential brakes for example - in Chorus. The only differences, as always, seem to be weight (minor), and price (not so minor).

I would go for the new Chorus to get the new mechanical design changes. In fact I did - just awaiting the new bike's arrival.

Cheers...Gary
Old 02-10-05, 07:40 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the internals of the Ergo levers to be identical between the two. So, price would dictate.
Old 02-10-05, 08:22 AM
yzfrr11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a good question. The 2005 Chorus has 3 mechanical advantages over 2003 Record:

1. Carbon fiber G-spring carrier in the Chorus Ergo levers compared to aluminum in the Record's. The aluminum version develops indentations and cracks after about 15K miles.

2. The Chorus cogs are all steel which are more durable (the carriers are Ti just like Record).

3. The chainrings have updated ramps and pins on the 2005 Chorus and will shift better.

The only advantage of the Record group is that is is neglegably lighter, but it does say "Record" on the components which is an important esthetic consideration.
Old 02-10-05, 09:29 AM
TimB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Record has titanium hardware where Chorus has steel even though the 03 Record and 05 Chorus are aesthetically similar.
Old 02-10-05, 09:56 AM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got 03 Record and have played a wee bit with 05. Couldn't tell a major difference between those, so I'd imagine that the difference between new Chorus and old Record would be tiny.

Look at it this way: If this is one of the bigger dilemmas you're facing right now, you're set!