Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Alfine 8 and disc brakes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Alfine 8 and disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 08:33 PM
Kuto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alfine 8 and disc brakes

Loooks to me based on some reading is that an ideal urban bike for a nice range on gears for going up hills on flats and down hills would have a Alfine 8 (Maybe Nexus 8) or COMPARABLE for one with a preference for IGH. Discs would give you good breaking performance in any weather.

So far there are two bikes that seem to fit my bill and they are the Raleigh Detour City Sport DLX
and The Dynamic Tempo 8. They are both about $1000

What do you think?

edit- Does anyone have experience with an integrated rear racks like on that Raleigh bike? Is it possible to buy an aftermarket rack that is in any way better with more weight capacity?

Last edited by Kuto; 04-04-13 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-05-13, 08:23 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I would avoid the Raleigh based on the proprietary rack alone.

This one might be a better choice.
https://www.rei.com/product/845695/ma...bard-bike-2013
Old 04-06-13, 01:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
IDK about your hills .. I have 2 IGH for mine Brompton 3 speed , 2 speed IG crank _ 17"-77"

& Rohloff ,an 18-90" range ..

Alfine 8 is a bit narrower range % wise, do the Math, see if you may need a wider range,

if low is adequate, then you can raise the high with a 2 pulley chain tensioner And a crank with 2 chainrings..
Old 04-19-13, 11:28 AM
Kuto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
IDK about your hills .. I have 2 IGH for mine Brompton 3 speed , 2 speed IG crank _ 17"-77"

& Rohloff ,an 18-90" range ..

Alfine 8 is a bit narrower range % wise, do the Math, see if you may need a wider range,

if low is adequate, then you can raise the high with a 2 pulley chain tensioner And a crank with 2 chainrings..
I can't seem to find bikes in the US with those gears yet. They aren't like the typical 3 speeds we find on cruisers are they?

If the low gear is close to that of a 24 speed 2008 Schwinn Mesa, then it should be fine.
Old 04-19-13, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
A decent Bike Shop can upgrade from one hub to another ..

But the frame needs to have the Mounting points for the disc caliper ..

so Id start with a disc Brake single speed 29er, then add the $ to get another rear wheel ..

If the low gear is close to that of a 24 speed 2008 Schwinn Mesa, then it should be fine.
Yea like I know what that is ? .. can you count teeth?

front # Divided by Back # X wheel outside diameter ..

is a common way to describe the Ratio of the gear.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-19-13 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-19-13, 12:42 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuto
Loooks to me based on some reading is that an ideal urban bike for a nice range on gears for going up hills on flats and down hills would have a Alfine 8 (Maybe Nexus 8) or COMPARABLE for one with a preference for IGH. Discs would give you good breaking performance in any weather.
my foul-weather commuter is a Scott Sub 10. it's an alfine 8/hydraulic disc brake hybrid. i'd highly recommend a similar set-up for anyone else looking for an all-weather general purpose bike.

i live in pancake flat chicago, so the 8 gears are way more than enough for me. i generally only really use gears 5,6,7, depending on the wind. though i do drop down to the 2nd gear for faster acceleration from stops.

Old 04-19-13, 10:52 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love my Trek Soho with Alfine 8. I've added a Bontrager rack and trunk bag and fenders.

Really like that Scott btw, Steely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TrekSoHoside.JPG-850-65.jpg (102.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-20-13, 06:48 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have a Dahon Cadenza with Alfine and cable disks. Alfine is a great piece of kit, reliable, efficient, low maintenance and with a wide enough gear range for rolling cities (maybe not enough for steep ones).
You need to get a frame that integrates the hub, brakes, rack and fenders well. many frames have fittings but actually fittting all the bits is quite tricky.
The best chain tensioning is sliding vertical dropouts, then eccentric bottom bracket, then horizontal dropouts. Avoid a spring tensioner on a new bike.
The brake mount can be on the (MTB) traditional seatstay or the chainstay. Chainstay mounts don't interfere with rack and fender eyelets but you need a brake with a suitable cable angle.