Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vintage British bikes - why so often oversized?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 07:13 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

Back in the early '80s a colleague from the UK came for the first time to work with us in Houston and brought his bike with him. I saw immediately that it was about 4 cm larger than a US shop would have fitted him with. In response to our constant razzing, he finally sold it and built up a frame his "proper" size. I subsequently learned he did a lot of light touring back home and had another frame there similarly oversized. Over the years I have seen one British bike after another with very little seat post showing, suggesting to me the same oversized fit for their riders. I have concluded that UK cyclists must attempt to obtain the effect of the taller head tube we now associate with long ride comfort on compact geometry frames by upsizing and using a shorter reach stem with traditional geometry.

I had always thought there must be a separate category of bikes with these features built into the design and overlong seat tubes shouldn't be necessary. Certainly I would have thought that any custom frame could have been designed for a less aggressive fit. Besides, I would imagine that standover must be a problem with the oversize strategy. Ouch! Not to mention how unsightly the appearance is (according to our aesthetic standards). In light of what we now know about compact geometry, sloping seat tubes, and tall head tubes, the whole thing seems rather naïve. Assuming no one had thought of the sloping seat tube back in the day, was the idea of just building up the head tube significantly above the horizontal seat tube also never pursued as a superior approach? Or even just the most obvious solution of very tall stems?

Then we come to the question of why this fit approach persists today in the UK. Is it just a lot of really old bikes still being ridden. Or do things just change really slowly there.

Robert
Old 05-07-13, 08:08 PM
EdgewaterDude

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just how 'oversized' are we talking here? I can straddle the top tube flat footed on my horizontal top-tube bike, and I've got maybe three fingers of seat post showing.

On my previous 'modern' road bike, I rode a frame a full 4 cm smaller, due to the sloping top tube and taller head tube. That's just the way it goes.
Old 05-07-13, 08:17 PM
rufvelo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There used to be the issue of the oversized Viscount with oversized fork...
Old 05-07-13, 08:18 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 141 Posts
Look up "French Fit". The tiny frames people buy today are more about fashion than functionality.
Old 05-07-13, 09:46 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Longer wheelbase for improved touring comfort?
Old 05-07-13, 10:19 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 810 Posts
My standard for aesthetics for a horizontal top tube bike is about "a fist" of seat tube.

"Standover" is a stupid criterion, mostly (imo) brought to road bikes by the mountain bike crowd. As is the aesthetic of long seat tubes.

Standover is fine if you can stop the bike, lean it over to put a foot on the ground and have some clearance when you keep the opposite foot on the pedal. You have absolutely no need to straddle the bike with both feet down and the bike straight upright.

Both of my horizontal (or nearly horizontal) top tube bikes have about a "fist" of seat tube showing, and I have about an inch (at the max) of clearance over the top tube, flat footed, bike vertical - wearing my bike shorts and bike shoes. When I actually stop the bike, lean over and put a foot down, I have several inches of clearance.

Then saddle-bar drop.... what a mess. The old standard, for almost all riders, even racers, was handlebars at about saddle height, maybe 1-3 inches below (say 0-7 cm of drop). Comfort was achieved riding on the tops or hoods, and "aero" was achieved by using bent elbows and/or normal/deep drops. The body was able to get into the same position of horizontal back as with undersized frames. The above frame sizing benchmarks also achieved a head tube that was high enough to get the bars up within that high/low range.

Nowadays, frames are smallish, headtubes are correspondingly smallish, stems are longish, and handlebars are shallow because the position on the tops is so low that hardly anyone can use deeper drops. But the body doesn't get any lower - a body can only flex so much at the hips regardless of whether you achieve it with low drops and bent elbows or shallow drops and less bent elbows. Higher handlebars with deeper drops gives you a substantially greater range for comfort as well as race position - assuming you understand that elbows bend.

Bike fit and aesthetics for the recreational rider is nuts nowadays. THEY'RE NOT MOUNTAIN BIKES FOLKS!! YOU'RE NOT AN EURO-PRO RACER!!

Last edited by Camilo; 05-07-13 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-07-13, 10:41 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I think long seat tubes are ghey, and sloping geometry is ghey but clearly it is for weight savings, and likely a bit more stiffer frame. I had a 60 cm raleigh and it was hella comfortable compared to the 56 they put me on, The US trend is not the best and it is not for everyone.
Old 05-08-13, 06:10 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by sfrider
Longer wheelbase for improved touring comfort?
Yes of course, but why not just design the frame that way instead of upsizing?
Old 05-08-13, 06:19 AM
ijsbrand

Bikes: 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Touring; 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Racer; 1980 Koga Miyata Roadspeed; and aiming for the rest of that year's brochure

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave Moulton, the frame builder, has written in detail about this:
My bike frame size back then was 22 inch; (56cm.) compare that to the 51cm. I rode at the end of my racing career in the early 1980s, and still ride today. That is a whapping 5cm or 2 inches smaller.

If I rode a 56cm. frame today it would way too big for me, and yet looking at the above picture my bike looks fine and not too large at all. So what happened; did I shrink over the years? I was certainly a lot slimmer back in my youth, but my legs are pretty much the same length as they are now.
tldr; it's all about the relative height of the bottom bracket to the ground.
Old 05-08-13, 06:47 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They weren't oversized, they were just differently set up. Nowadays I ride a TCR at c.60cm. Fits me fine. Until recently I also had a 64cm Raleigh from the 1980s, which fitted me perfectly. Less saddle/bar drop, more reach, just about a fistful of seatpost showing (as was typical then) with a horizontal top tube. I'm currently having a frame made for me. It'll be a 63cm, again with rather less drop than the TCR.

Those old bikes weren't too big for their riders. It's just a different fitting philosophy. Three styles of fit.

EDIT. Ijsbrand: nice link, thanks.

Last edited by chasm54; 05-08-13 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-08-13, 08:13 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rather wish I could find one of those 'oversized' frames here in Korea. Getting a 20.5" mtb equalivalent road frame is hard. Its rather annoying when 90% of the population is shorter than I am...
Old 05-08-13, 09:21 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
My standard for aesthetics for a horizontal top tube bike is about "a fist" of seat tube.

"Standover" is a stupid criterion, mostly (imo) brought to road bikes by the mountain bike crowd. As is the aesthetic of long seat tubes.

Standover is fine if you can stop the bike, lean it over to put a foot on the ground and have some clearance when you keep the opposite foot on the pedal. You have absolutely no need to straddle the bike with both feet down and the bike straight upright.

Both of my horizontal (or nearly horizontal) top tube bikes have about a "fist" of seat tube showing, and I have about an inch (at the max) of clearance over the top tube, flat footed, bike vertical - wearing my bike shorts and bike shoes. When I actually stop the bike, lean over and put a foot down, I have several inches of clearance.

Then saddle-bar drop.... what a mess. The old standard, for almost all riders, even racers, was handlebars at about saddle height, maybe 1-3 inches below (say 0-7 cm of drop). Comfort was achieved riding on the tops or hoods, and "aero" was achieved by using bent elbows and/or normal/deep drops. The body was able to get into the same position of horizontal back as with undersized frames. The above frame sizing benchmarks also achieved a head tube that was high enough to get the bars up within that high/low range.

Nowadays, frames are smallish, headtubes are correspondingly smallish, stems are longish, and handlebars are shallow because the position on the tops is so low that hardly anyone can use deeper drops. But the body doesn't get any lower - a body can only flex so much at the hips regardless of whether you achieve it with low drops and bent elbows or shallow drops and less bent elbows. Higher handlebars with deeper drops gives you a substantially greater range for comfort as well as race position - assuming you understand that elbows bend.

Bike fit and aesthetics for the recreational rider is nuts nowadays. THEY'RE NOT MOUNTAIN BIKES FOLKS!! YOU'RE NOT AN EURO-PRO RACER!!
I agree with many of your points. Also top tube length is paramount. Seat tube is not quite as relevant as top tube. Head tube is not really relevant with a quill stem since there is so much room for adjustment. With an aheadset the head tube becomes pretty important too.

But if you look at ye olde racers like eddy mercx, I just cringe because of their positions. The hip pointing straight upwards, flexing the whole back when in the drops and just over stretching the spine quite unnaturally. There is a number of reasons for that, like bad saddle design etc. Modern racers have much healthier positions. Back straighter and hip angle opened up. All in all modern bike ergonomics is way better than it used to be.

And why pray can one not strive for a sporty aero powerful riding position? Speed is power but most of all speed is aerodynamics. If you ride like mary poppins it's good bye to speed. A horizontal back will make one really fast. Assuming of course you can handle such a low position. Stretching stretching stretchin. And a saddle with a canal.
Old 05-08-13, 09:47 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by elcruxio
I agree with many of your points. Also top tube length is paramount. Seat tube is not quite as relevant as top tube. Head tube is not really relevant with a quill stem since there is so much room for adjustment. With an aheadset the head tube becomes pretty important too.

But if you look at ye olde racers like eddy mercx, I just cringe because of their positions. The hip pointing straight upwards, flexing the whole back when in the drops and just over stretching the spine quite unnaturally. There is a number of reasons for that, like bad saddle design etc. Modern racers have much healthier positions. Back straighter and hip angle opened up. All in all modern bike ergonomics is way better than it used to be.

And why pray can one not strive for a sporty aero powerful riding position? Speed is power but most of all speed is aerodynamics. If you ride like mary poppins it's good bye to speed. A horizontal back will make one really fast. Assuming of course you can handle such a low position. Stretching stretching stretchin. And a saddle with a canal.
I don't disagree, but remember that seat tube has become irrelevant since the advent of sloped top tubes. Now the seat tube is not a problem. But if you needed a really long top tube in the days of traditional geometry, the seat tube length could have been an issue. That's basically what my question was about.
Old 05-08-13, 10:28 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I don't disagree, but remember that seat tube has become irrelevant since the advent of sloped top tubes. Now the seat tube is not a problem. But if you needed a really long top tube in the days of traditional geometry, the seat tube length could have been an issue. That's basically what my question was about.
You didn't need a really long top tube, because the taller head tube means that the bigger the frame got, the shorter the top tube relative to the height of the bike. The tall head tube, being angled towards the rider, effectively brought the bars back towards him/her.
Old 05-08-13, 11:09 AM
EdgewaterDude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
You didn't need a really long top tube, because the taller head tube means that the bigger the frame got, the shorter the top tube relative to the height of the bike. The tall head tube, being angled towards the rider, effectively brought the bars back towards him/her.
I wish I would have known of this sage advice before I dropped $60 on a Nitto stem that is too short. Bicycle geometries; HOW DO THEY WORK?!
Old 05-08-13, 11:42 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EdgewaterDude
. Bicycle geometries; HOW DO THEY WORK?!
This might help a bit. Even if it doesn't, I think it is quite interesting.
Old 05-08-13, 11:52 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 13016 Post(s)
Liked 7,941 Times in 4,222 Posts
Hmmm. I'd have guessed it's more of a time thing than a location thing. People everywhere used to ride big frames w/ tiny seatposts.
Old 05-08-13, 12:12 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Hmmm. I'd have guessed it's more of a time thing than a location thing. People everywhere used to ride big frames w/ tiny seatposts.
Well I guess I was referring to the interplay of time and location.
Old 05-08-13, 12:14 PM
rpenmanparker 

Of course you needed a long top tube if you needed along top tube. DSFDF.
Old 05-08-13, 12:17 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just going to say that Lester, i bought a bike in the late 70's a 58cm and it was ok, now i ride a 56cm and its perfect.I asked the shop about being fitted on a 58 and he said they sized larger back then.
Old 05-08-13, 01:40 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Of course you needed a long top tube if you needed along top tube. DSFDF.
Sorry, I mistook your statement for a question.

In practice that wasn't really a problem. There was no law against having a bit more seatpost showing. If one's proportions dictated more reach, one could choose the frame size that best accommodated that just like one can now.

Amd these bikes tended to be more comfortable, by the way, even though one could get into a similarly aggressive position.

Last edited by chasm54; 05-08-13 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-08-13, 03:28 PM
EdgewaterDude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This might help a bit. Even if it doesn't, I think it is quite interesting.
That's a helpful little read.

I'm just surprised that I wasn't able to correctly calculate total reach of TT+Stem based on my older, smaller frame when moving to a new one. Apparently, I can't just subtract 4 cm from the stem, as you're right - the TT effectively shortens as the head tube grows.
Old 05-08-13, 03:48 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Yes of course, but why not just design the frame that way instead of upsizing?
Because their minds are stuck in a rut about "not looking like a pro racer"?
Old 05-08-13, 03:53 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

My rather limited, anecdotal experience also has an image of European riders mashing more at taller gears. This would call for a lower, more rearwards saddle and perhaps slightly longer TT and higher bars.
Old 05-08-13, 03:54 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EdgewaterDude
That's a helpful little read.

I'm just surprised that I wasn't able to correctly calculate total reach of TT+Stem based on my older, smaller frame when moving to a new one. Apparently, I can't just subtract 4 cm from the stem, as you're right - the TT effectively shortens as the head tube grows.
Yup. And I think this is the reason that my old Raleigh (killed by a Toyota last year) was the most comfortable bike I ever owned. Less drop and more (but not quite as much more) reach. Like riding on an angel's shoulders. Its loss is the main reason I am going to the expense of having a custom frame built. My TCR is a great bike, I have it tweaked to an excellent fit, but there's something about the big drop, shorter reach position that doesn't work quite as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.