Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Did I do some thing wrong?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 09:24 AM
stumpbumper

Bikes: Giant Revel 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today I headed out on my bike for an early morning ride, Ive only been riding road bikes for like a week, I think a week exactly today, not sure.

I was cruising through town and after about 6 miles I came to the rear of a group of 7 guys out cycling, And I stayed a few car lengths behind them for a while, but their pace was slow, so when traffic cleared I broke off to the left and passed them up and just kept riding, they looked at me so I smiled and said good morning. Kept pedaling until I hit the main road and waited my turn to get out on the road and head back home when they start catching back up and the lead guy was yelling "Hey!" so I waited for them thinking they may want to chit-chat a minute. When they caught up he pulled up beside me and started blessing me out for passing them, and said I had no manners, blah blah, If I wanted to ride to stay with the group and I`d have my turn to lead, and complaining about the way I was dressed ( gym shorts and T-shirt) and that I needed to ride with more common sense LOL. I told the guy I was out on my own riding my own pace and just having fun on my ride. I did not interfere with them doing their thing and I tried my best to be nice. This guy was acting like I had just hit his dog and shrugged it off or something.

Im new to road biking, so did I do something "wrong" by passing them? we were on back roads, few cars, I put no one at risk of anything, and gave them more than enough space. I just saddled back up and kept riding, wondering if I did something wrong or if I had just ran across a giant prick on a bicycle? Im confused to as if I did something wrong and didnt know road cycling etiquette, or did I just meet some ass hole?

Last edited by stumpbumper; 07-29-13 at 09:27 AM. Reason: miss spelled a few words.
Old 07-29-13, 09:30 AM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You where ok, he was probably just upset for being passed by someone not wearing lycra.
Old 07-29-13, 09:31 AM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, you ran into several giant egos with small pricks on bikes.
Old 07-29-13, 09:32 AM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stumpbumper
Today I headed out on my bike for an early morning ride, Ive only been riding road bikes for like a week, I think a week exactly today, not sure.

I was cruising through town and after about 6 miles I came to the rear of a group of 7 guys out cycling, And I stayed a few car lengths behind them for a while, but their pace was slow, so when traffic cleared I broke off to the left and passed them up and just kept riding, they looked at me so I smiled and said good morning. Kept pedaling until I hit the main road and waited my turn to get out on the road and head back home when they start catching back up and the lead guy was yelling "Hey!" so I waited for them thinking they may want to chit-chat a minute. When they caught up he pulled up beside me and started blessing me out for passing them, and said I had no manners, blah blah, If I wanted to ride to stay with the group and I`d have my turn to lead, and complaining about the way I was dressed ( gym shorts and T-shirt) and that I needed to ride with more common sense LOL. I told the guy I was out on my own riding my own pace and just having fun on my ride. I did not interfere with them doing their thing and I tried my best to be nice. This guy was acting like I had just hit his dog and shrugged it off or something.

Im new to road biking, so did I do something "wrong" by passing them? we were on back roads, few cars, I put no one at risk of anything, and gave them more than enough space. I just saddled back up and kept riding, wondering if I did something wrong or if I had just ran across a giant prick on a bicycle? Im confused to as if I did something wrong and didnt know road cycling etiquette, or did I just meet some ass hole?
This
Old 07-29-13, 09:33 AM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by generalkdi
You where ok, he was probably just upset for being passed by someone not wearing lycra.
Correct, nothing done wrong at all.
Old 07-29-13, 09:33 AM
Lew.

Bikes: Tarmac/LangsterPro/Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edit: Deleting long post as others replied quicker.
Yeah, they're just ********.
Old 07-29-13, 09:37 AM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think OP should post his route (just kidding OP). I'm sure some of us could have some fun with these guys - get all decked out in your worst Fred outfit, etc.
Old 07-29-13, 09:38 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Next time you see them, try to pass them a little faster to really annoy them.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-29-13, 09:40 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Yes you did one thing wrong. You listened to those a$$hats. You should have just told them you didn't have time for their crap. BTW after 65 years on earth this is the first time I have every heard the term "blessing out". Say what?
Old 07-29-13, 09:45 AM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you should have yelled at them for being slow posers
There is a high ratio of dooshbags in road cycling. You just can't let them get to you.
Old 07-29-13, 09:50 AM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
My guess is you came up on a group ride that the leader didn't know everyone and thought you were part of the group. I have a hard time believing someone would get that upset about some random cyclist passing their group, but maybe things are different where you ride.
Old 07-29-13, 09:54 AM
stumpbumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a weird situation, these guys were all about it, full gear, funny helmets, I guess for aerodynamics. I was pretty shocked at the situation so I just stood there thinking WTF? I mean they were acting like a group of geese migrating home, everything was perfect in their formation or whatever, and I did pull them pretty hard and passed them like they were sitting still. I guess I just hurt his pride lol.

Next time I see them out, and they wont be hard to spot Ill pass them at full steam, and ask how does my dust taste hahahaha.
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TassR700
My guess is you came up on a group ride that the leader didn't know everyone and thought you were part of the group. I have a hard time believing someone would get that upset about some random cyclist passing their group, but maybe things are different where you ride.
I have a hard time believing this story as well.
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It just amazes me how many people take themselves way to seriously with this. Doing something that is obviously a hazard is one thing but if you are telling the truth about how this went down, these guys sound like a big joke. I get passed all the time on training rides, sometimes by groups, sometimes buy a guy that is just moving faster than I am.

I even laugh at this "we will ye'll at you" BS here in BF. if you yell at me, be ready to get off the bike.
Old 07-29-13, 09:55 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's almost too good to be true. Slow roadies in a paceline that get upset when you pass them, and act like middle school girls about your choice of fashion. I'd get a kick out of passing them up - I'd probably troll for them - but you didn't make this up did you?
Old 07-29-13, 10:03 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
while dressed as a clown.
Old 07-29-13, 10:10 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, you were totally out of line here. You were dressed like a fred and bruised somebody's precious ego by going faster than them. Try not to do it again, and if you must do it again remember to feel suitably smug as you overtake them. For added smugness points make some mildly condescending remarks about how they were blocking the view or how you needed to speed up to stop yourself falling asleep.

Put another way, yes, you ran across such a big prick it's a wonder he didn't puncture both your tyres at once from 100 yards away.

If you see them again feel free to build up a nice head of speed and then pass them while freewheeling. Bonus points for eating a sandwich or smoking a cigarette as you go past. That will really make their day.
Old 07-29-13, 10:21 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
wow

also, double bonus points if you manage to stick a tire level in the front wheel spokes of the lead guy
Old 07-29-13, 10:30 AM
stumpbumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no this 100% true, I cant prove it, but it happened. I live in a tiny town in georgia, and we dont see many cyclers out on the roads, so when they came up on me and he was yelling "hey" I thought he may ask me where and when I ride and see if I wanted to ride with his group, I was thinking "oh cool some other riders maybe theyll want to ride" but no. I think they just take it too seriously and that the leader thought I was part of his group, I dont know. it just happened and confused the hell out of me.
Old 07-29-13, 10:35 AM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is you came up on a group ride that the leader didn't know everyone and thought you were part of the group.
this is what it sounded like to me, too
Old 07-29-13, 10:35 AM
peckma

Bikes: 2013 BMC GRAN FONDO GF01, 2010 SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX, 2004 TREK FX7000, 2013 SPECIALIZED ALLEZ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get a kiddie bell on your bike, and then ring it as you pass them next time.
Old 07-29-13, 10:37 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
This was my reaction.

But if this was not the case....

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Nah, pass just barely fast enough to get the job done. When they boost their speed in response, notch it up the minimum it takes to be just enough ahead that they get no draft whatsoever but are too close to feel like going their own pace. Keep this process up until you burn their legs up at which point you can kick the pace way up just for fun.

Or just ignore them. They could be cooling down after a long hard workout, helping someone with an injury, or whatever. There are a million reasons to go slow.
Old 07-29-13, 10:39 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Well, first they were being a bunch of ***** and ********. You would have been within your rights to tell them to **** ********** and the horses they rode in on. Finally, I would have ***** the **** and ******** until they **********.

Old 07-29-13, 10:41 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor, Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
did I just meet some ass hole?
Yep!
Old 07-29-13, 10:42 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by peckma
get a kiddie bell on your bike, and then ring it as you pass them next time.
Damn, 6 minutes too late. I was gonna say the same thing.

Or get one of those squeezy horns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.