Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Maya Cycle Trailer Review (and first overnight tour - yeah!)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 09:54 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

First overnight tour and first trip with the Maya Cycle. Wanted to do a brief review of the trailer.

The trip was an overnight heading from Seaford, VA to Chippokes State Park on the southside of the James River. Trip went through the Yorktown Battlefield park and along the Colonial Parkway. Most TransAm riders will recognize the route. Once I got to Jamestown, VA - I took the ferry across the river to the State Park. Anyone who has ridden the East Coast Greenway will recognize this portion of the trip as it goes by the State park if you are heading to FL. The equipment was an 88 Peugoet US Express that has been modified on the rear cassette to give me an additional 34 tooth bail out gear. Gear was carried on two small panniers in the front with dry bags in them for the essential gear that has to stay dry (cloths, sleeping bag, etc...). The trailer was a Maya Cycle trailer. Now onto the review of the trailer for those who would consider one as a touring option.

CON's: 1- Weight is always a concern, but not too much that would steer me away from this option. 2- What concerned me was that I have had several instances where the rear fender would loosen up and fall on the rear tire...., thus acting as a break. I finally had to remove the fender as I could not get a wrench into the area needed to properly tighten the nut while on the road. 3 - Size of bag allows too much stuff to be carried..., but I watched what I loaded to simulate a longer tour.

PRO's: 1- Trailer pulled nice and had no sway on any up or down hill areas. Never knew it was back there other than starting off on a new pedal sequence. 2- While on the road, cars gave me plenty of berth as the trailer seems larger to them and makes them think I need extra room. Comment - this was one of the primary reasons I wanted a trailer as visibility is better than a loaded bike. Red bag that came with it and the flag shows up well. 3 - Kick stand that comes with the trailer brings options for parking the bike and eliminated any worries on where to stage the bike while stopped.

Comments about the purchase: I am a bit disappointed with Maya Cycle customer support. I have called them a couple of times about another issue and have not received an answer from them. The first concern I had was resolved over a two day period, but they are slow to respond. This second concern is that the trailer connecting bar will not fit on my Trek 520 (as it is too narrow to clip onto the studs of the wheel axle). I am only searching for a different hitch for a wider rear cassette bike...but no answer after two weeks.

Would I purchase this trailer again or recommend it - Yes. Price is competitive in regards to the Bob Trailer or the Burley Nomad. I think the quality of the manufacturer of the Maya is better than Bob or Burley, so I would give them a +1 in this area. Now, if I can only get this thing to fit my 520
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ChippokesTour_1.jpg (41.7 KB, 84 views)
ColonialPkwy_Tour1.jpg (57.1 KB, 74 views)
JRFerryRide1.jpg (42.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 08-31-13, 08:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
cool
Old 08-31-13, 09:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 864 Posts
I noted, 1 wheel trailers useful on tours , as many doing the Coast have, but between tours ,
the utility of 2 wheel trailers wins.

My Burly Flatbed is a product of the Worker Owned Co-Operative Era, now passed , made in Eugene OR.

the take over owner outsourced the trailer manufacturing to the Philippines.

Looks like they profit from using a cheap hub on the rear wheel at Maya,
https://www.mayacycle.com/store/usa/p...e-trailer.html

but as its a pretty common 16" wheel ,it can go , for a replacement..

BoB trailers have sourced a better[sealed bearing] hub now, the ones they did use were low end also..

....Though the wheelbarrow mode shown on the Mayacycle, site is an interesting dual use option.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-01-13 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-01-13, 06:06 AM
missjean

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really like the trailer kickstand. The couple of times I've used a Bob trailer, it was a bit of a production to position the bike & trailer just right so nothing tipped over.
Old 09-01-13, 08:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 864 Posts
Fitting a KS to BoB trailers has been done , mounted to tow fork, or through the load deck .
Old 09-01-13, 09:36 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I'm curious as to why an "interested backpacker" would want to carry two front panniers, a large trunk, plus a full trailer load? What's your pack-list look like?
Old 09-02-13, 09:13 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigAura
I'm curious as to why an "interested backpacker" would want to carry two front panniers, a large trunk, plus a full trailer load? What's your pack-list look like?
Touche BigAura.

I definitely would not carry as much stuff as I had on this overnight trip. But you know how it is when you are a noobie, you have to experience the limits. In all actuality, I had my BMB Hammock and my Hubba Hubba on the trip as I wanted to feel both weight on the front fork and the drag from the trailer. The following day, I rode back without the front panniers as a friend joined me at Chippokes and relieved me of the extra weight.

Next trip is on the 520 with just panniers to compare the difference.
Old 09-03-13, 02:06 PM
BigAura

Originally Posted by Fullcount
Touche BigAura.

I definitely would not carry as much stuff as I had on this overnight trip. But you know how it is when you are a noobie, you have to experience the limits. In all actuality, I had my BMB Hammock and my Hubba Hubba on the trip as I wanted to feel both weight on the front fork and the drag from the trailer. The following day, I rode back without the front panniers as a friend joined me at Chippokes and relieved me of the extra weight.

Next trip is on the 520 with just panniers to compare the difference.
OK, experimenting with different setups sounds reasonable. Personally I think trailers only make sense in situations where you can't possibly carry your all your gear attached directly to the bike. Right off the bat you're carrying a 13lb penalty with the trailer. Considering you already have compact backpacking equipment and experience I'd go pannier only and simplify.

Last edited by BigAura; 09-04-13 at 05:27 AM. Reason: corrected weight
Old 09-03-13, 03:12 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fullcount

First overnight tour and first trip with the Maya Cycle. Wanted to do a brief review of the trailer.

The trip was an overnight heading from Seaford, VA to Chippokes State Park on the southside of the James River. Trip went through the Yorktown Battlefield park and along the Colonial Parkway. Most TransAm riders will recognize the route. Once I got to Jamestown, VA - I took the ferry across the river to the State Park. Anyone who has ridden the East Coast Greenway will recognize this portion of the trip as it goes by the State park if you are heading to FL. The equipment was an 88 Peugoet US Express that has been modified on the rear cassette to give me an additional 34 tooth bail out gear. Gear was carried on two small panniers in the front with dry bags in them for the essential gear that has to stay dry (cloths, sleeping bag, etc...). The trailer was a Maya Cycle trailer. Now onto the review of the trailer for those who would consider one as a touring option.

CON's: 1- Weight is always a concern, but not too much that would steer me away from this option. 2- What concerned me was that I have had several instances where the rear fender would loosen up and fall on the rear tire...., thus acting as a break. I finally had to remove the fender as I could not get a wrench into the area needed to properly tighten the nut while on the road. 3 - Size of bag allows too much stuff to be carried..., but I watched what I loaded to simulate a longer tour.

PRO's: 1- Trailer pulled nice and had no sway on any up or down hill areas. Never knew it was back there other than starting off on a new pedal sequence. 2- While on the road, cars gave me plenty of berth as the trailer seems larger to them and makes them think I need extra room. Comment - this was one of the primary reasons I wanted a trailer as visibility is better than a loaded bike. Red bag that came with it and the flag shows up well. 3 - Kick stand that comes with the trailer brings options for parking the bike and eliminated any worries on where to stage the bike while stopped.

Comments about the purchase: I am a bit disappointed with Maya Cycle customer support. I have called them a couple of times about another issue and have not received an answer from them. The first concern I had was resolved over a two day period, but they are slow to respond. This second concern is that the trailer connecting bar will not fit on my Trek 520 (as it is too narrow to clip onto the studs of the wheel axle). I am only searching for a different hitch for a wider rear cassette bike...but no answer after two weeks.

Would I purchase this trailer again or recommend it - Yes. Price is competitive in regards to the Bob Trailer or the Burley Nomad. I think the quality of the manufacturer of the Maya is better than Bob or Burley, so I would give them a +1 in this area. Now, if I can only get this thing to fit my 520
I also have a Maya Cycle trailer and yes, it will fit your Trek 520 as it does my Masi CX cross with a 10 speed wide cassette.

You do need to purchase the newer version of the quick release skewer which was oddly an EXTRA EXPENSE to address a flaw on their older skewer attachment system which doesn't work all that well. You would also need to slightly spread the fork to fit, but the newer skewer fits better.

I assume you probably got the older attachment system?

I used to be getting pretty good customer service, but they do have an odd kind of service. Like, I have to pay extra to get a modified new working skewer which usually is included as a free of charge item when your old skewer isn't good. I guess they had extra old ones they can't afford to throw away so they won't give the new one for free? And to pour salt into old wounds, they had me pay extra shipping for the new one when I ordered the trailer together with all the other accessories. Like why can't they throw them all into the trailer box? Again, an odd practise where by Burley had absolutely no issues whatsoever. In fact, I say Burley's customer service is heaps and bounds better than Maya, but this trailer does work better than my ex-Bob trailer and my Burley Travoy which I also own.

The only time I use the Maya is to do grocery shopping and doing the farmer's market. Other than that, I would rent a nice 29er mountain bike and do some occassional off-road touring with the Maya. It's that flexibility it gives and better suited than my Travoy.
Old 09-03-13, 04:40 PM
BigAura

I'm concerned that there's been so much discussion about customer support with respect to the use of trailers. The simpler touring equipment is, the better, IMO.
Old 09-03-13, 07:29 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigAura
I'm concerned that there's been so much discussion about customer support with respect to the use of trailers. The simpler touring equipment is, the better, IMO.
The thing about Maya is that it is a father daughter business. The father is the engineer and developer for the trailer and basically the head of the company, whereas the daughter who is really cute is the business brains of the business. Between the two, they provide the support base. That was in 2011, so not sure if they've changed after they had appeared on Dragon's Den for more funding..
Old 09-04-13, 05:55 AM
BigAura

Originally Posted by pacificcyclist
The thing about Maya is that it is a father daughter business. The father is the engineer and developer for the trailer and basically the head of the company, whereas the daughter who is really cute is the business brains of the business. Between the two, they provide the support base. That was in 2011, so not sure if they've changed after they had appeared on Dragon's Den for more funding..
I wasn't familiar with their specific trailer. I went to their website and watched the videos. The product does look interesting and seems to fill a specific niche.

My concern is still the added complexity (specifically: more things to go wrong) that a trailer brings when long-distance touring.

BTW: I do like the small business story and hope they do well