Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Riding with a partner

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Riding with a partner

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 11:05 PM
LaetaPuella

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding with a partner

If you ride with another person on your tours, what gear do you share/only bring one of? What items are potentially share-able that you both bring? Do these lists vary depending on if it's a close friend versus a spouse versus a casual riding friend?

Just curious, mostly.
Old 10-24-13, 11:30 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Only a few things are shared. One of carries an extra canister of fuel for the stove. Many meals are for two people so what I carry is shared and so is what he carries.

We both take our normal hike camping packs which are setup for solo trips. We throw in a few more items like the extra canister of fuel and a few small tidbits but nothing substantial.
Old 10-25-13, 03:08 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
When I toured with a friend, we shared the tent and cooking gear. He brought and carried both. Otherwise, we each carried all our own stuff.

When I tour with Rowan, we share the tent, cooking gear, and most of the tools. Rowan carries them. Otherwise, we each carry our own stuff.
Old 10-25-13, 10:28 AM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only toured with someone a couple of times. He was a fellow from my workplace and I supplied and carried the tent outfit, cooking gear, and tools. Otherwise, we each carried our own stuff.
Old 10-25-13, 01:57 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 982 Times in 803 Posts
others will mention this as well, but I would strongly suggest always being self sufficient if the other person is not your spouse or a close friend that you know you are compatible with.

re specifically about sharing-- tent and cooking stuff are heavy-ish things and can be split up more or less, tools perhaps also (again though, I would never want someone else to have the only basic tools, pump or whatever.)
Old 10-25-13, 02:30 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Another here for tent and cooking gear. We also take advantage of the fact that we can share cooking gear and take a couple extra things that we wouldn't if carrying our own gear. You can make some good 2 person meals in a medium sized skillet over a fire that you can't do when carrying your own small camp cook set. Also, shared hatchet.
Old 10-26-13, 08:28 PM
reed523

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good point here. Lot's of folks that begin a tour together don't end together.

Originally Posted by djb
others will mention this as well, but I would strongly suggest always being self sufficient if the other person is not your spouse or a close friend that you know you are compatible with.

re specifically about sharing-- tent and cooking stuff are heavy-ish things and can be split up more or less, tools perhaps also (again though, I would never want someone else to have the only basic tools, pump or whatever.)
Old 10-27-13, 04:17 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Have toured with a friend(s) and the only thing shared was a map. Have shared rooms but never a tent.
Old 10-27-13, 04:32 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tent, cookstove, food, fuel. Water filter. I snore. I have one friend (besides my wife) that can stand being in a tent with me. But keep in mind, many tours have started with two people thinking they'd ride together 3000 miles when it turned out to be 500. Touring with another person can end friendships or at least not end up working as planned. I would never go on tour without my own everything. Fine if you want to share my stove and fuel and tent and if you do share the gear we might share the burden but I will always bring my own everything. Especially the coffee. In fact, bring your own coffee because I like it stronger than you do. Whoever you are. .
Old 10-27-13, 07:33 AM
dengidog

Bikes: Habanero Titanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless the other person is a significant other, I would always be self-sufficient. It took 3 times before I was able to complete a tour. Had others not had their own stuff, they would have been s.o.l. You can be the best of buds, but you can't predict what outside forces (cars, injuries, etc) could affect one of you and the others might not want to quit.
Old 10-27-13, 07:44 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts
A lot depends on what kind of relationship you have with your riding companion(s). When riding with someone that I just met for the tour, I carry everything I need to go it alone, in case I need to. When touring with my daughter we share lots of stuff; tent, cooking gear, food, sunscreen, and probably a bunch of other things that I am forgetting.

Last edited by staehpj1; 10-27-13 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-27-13, 09:15 AM
Yumadons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<< Alaskans for global warming >>

<< two Pugs >>