Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Hi-ten MTB a good candidate?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 06:08 PM
mattlavallee

Bikes: '07 Giant Talon, '08 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket 16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm interested in converting an old hi-ten frame Diamondback Traverse (almost 20 yrs old) into an electric. I was thinking the rear wheel Papamotor kit because I don't want a proprietary battery. Questions - is it worthwhile to use a bike like this that is not being used for anything else, or given the costs of conversion, would it be a better idea to find an old cro-mo frame? Also, this bike is from way before discs were popular, but I am firmly a believer in non-rim brakes at this point. Is anyone using Sturmey Archer drum brakes with their e-bike, and how are they working out? I'm not fully set on Papamotor and am open to other suggestions. I have other bikes that I would likely use most often for commuting, but I'd like a fast & reliable e-bike for occasions when I need to get somewhere without showing up sweaty or dressed in bike clothes. I'm thinking this would effectively serve as a car for me.

Separate question, since I don't really need the e-bike right this moment--what is more likely, that we'll see increasing regulation on e-bikes that would make ungoverned kits like Papamotor's hard to get, or that there will be significant improvements in e-bike tech over the next couple years? On one hand I'm thinking I should wait til I need it in case batteries get better/cheaper, on the other I'm worried that kits like that will get banned from importation as e-bikes get increasing and sometimes negative attention.

thanks!
Old 10-29-13, 08:59 PM
EBikeFL 

Bikes: 2012 Kona Lanai

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, mattlavallee.

Wow, I experienced deja vu reading your post. I was in a similar situation with my very old Trek MTB. I made the decision to get what money I could for the Trek and purchased a MTB with disk brakes. I chose the Papamotor 48v 1000w kit and have over 6,100 miles on it now. I've made several upgrades to the MTB including wider stronger rims, wider tires, and just about every accessory I could fit on it.

Papamotor has made some upgrades to their kits and now offer a version 1.5 along with a small price increase. You can't beat their customer service and price for a 48v 1000w hub motor. If you haven't seen the discussion posts on the Papamotor kits, here's the link https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...onversion-kits

You may want to check out https://www.ebikes.ca as well before coming to a final decision. I picked up the Cycle Analyst from them along with stronger torque arms.

I use my Papamotor e-bike for everything now. I carry books, my laptop, groceries, and anything else I can fit in my panniers.

I couldn't guess on what the regulations will be in the future for e-bikes; however, I do know more and more people will be using them. Europe is paying $8-$10 dollars/gallon now and it's only a matter of time before the United States sees those same prices.

Once you get your e-bike follow the bicycle laws and you'll be helping e-bikes to get positive attention. Here's a popular website for bicyclists in Florida: https://floridabicycle.org/bicycle-traffic-law/

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 10-30-13, 09:53 AM
mattlavallee

Bikes: '07 Giant Talon, '08 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket 16

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, and I have read quite a few of the posts on your earlier discussion. The info there is what's made me lean toward the Papamotor kit. I'll have a look at those links and see what turns up. Another pipe dream is to put this kit on a cargo bike like a Mundo or Edgerunner. I know both have electric kits available but I'm not cool with Bionx's proprietary battery. Also I'd rather not mess with pedal assist, I'm thinking I'd rather pedal or motor, but not both.