Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Budget tubular wheelset?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Budget tubular wheelset?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 05:30 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Budget tubular wheelset?

As the title states. I want to go back to tubulars. I know "budget" can be open to interpretation, I'll just say I'm not looking for $5000 carbon wheels with a billboard on the side. I'm just your average Joe. What are the least expensive you guys have seen? Perhaps I should look into a custom set with Ultegra hubs.
Old 11-04-13, 05:57 AM
VA_Esquire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planet X, Boyd, November, Farsports.......what is your budget?
Old 11-04-13, 06:00 AM
Lazyass

I don't really have a budget. Just interested in the least expensive and go up from there. I have been considering a custom built set with King hubs if that gives you an idea. I guess I would say less than $1000.
Old 11-04-13, 08:40 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Carbon or aluminum rims?
Old 11-04-13, 10:42 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
As the title states. I want to go back to tubulars. I know "budget" can be open to interpretation, I'll just say I'm not looking for $5000 carbon wheels with a billboard on the side. I'm just your average Joe. What are the least expensive you guys have seen? Perhaps I should look into a custom set with Ultegra hubs.
I just had built a set of tubular rims from HED Belgium C2 rims with DT Swiss 350 hubs (laced 28 and 32) from Excel Sports in Boulder (through the internet) for around $600. That's not a budget set but it's an awesome set of wheels and I *really* like them. You could make these cheaper by going with Shimano hubs, for example. Anyhow they have a wheel builder web app on their website at https://www.excelsports.com/wheel.asp. You can fool around with different builds and see for yourself. FWIW, I ran their wheel builder using the Mavic Reflex rims laced 32 spokes on each wheel, shimano ultegra 10 speed hubs and it comes in at $385. Didn't check it out, but it's probably because of sale prices on the 10 speed hubs.

Incidentally, the HED Belgium C2's come in at 1673 grams set up as above. What's kind of amazing for me is that they seem to be about a gear faster than with the Reflex set I had earlier. I had thought I was faster, then my wife mentioned it yesterday on our ride. I'm as fast with these as I am with my Easton CF rims and the ride is better. I'm not sure why that is and it's got me confused, but it's what the training data shows.

J.
Old 11-04-13, 04:40 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Neuvation has 80 mm tub wheelset for <700 today
Old 11-04-13, 05:22 PM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chinese carbon aero wheelsets go as low as $400 with shipping on eBay.
Old 11-04-13, 06:19 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22743 Post(s)
Liked 9,124 Times in 4,238 Posts
Why?? If your goal is to save money, why not get clinchers??
Old 11-04-13, 06:27 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
I have at least 20 tubular wheelsets. 19 of the 20 are vintage wheelsets of which the most I paid was $100. Record hi-flange units I can use on my old bikes. Several of these wheels featured Shimano 600 (older Ultegra) 6/7 speed cassette hubs, which I replaced the freehubs and axles to accomodate 8/9/10 cogsets. 5 minutes of redishing of the rear wheels required. These now work great.

The last wheelset I bought I blew the bank and spend $350 for some Chinese carbon 38mm rims and Novatec hubs. These are very light, stiff, and the hubs work great. First thing I did was to pull apart the hubs to have a look. They seem to be well made and are easy to service. I ridden several hundred miles on these with great satisfaction.

As far as hubs, Dura-Ace gets you the best hubset in the world. I don't mean the orphaned 7800/7801 or ancient 7400 series. I mean the modern hubset with the titanium freehubs.
Best designed and implemented hub on the planet - at any price. And I'm a Campagnolo guy.
Old 11-04-13, 07:25 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Anyhow they have a wheel builder web app on their website at https://www.excelsports.com/wheel.asp. You can fool around with different builds and see for yourself. FWIW, I ran their wheel builder using the Mavic Reflex rims laced 32 spokes on each wheel, shimano ultegra 10 speed hubs and it comes in at $385. Didn't check it out, but it's probably because of sale prices on the 10 speed hubs.
That's not bad at all. I did just find these:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ch...FSdp7AodbQQAMg

Buying the King hubs alone is pretty close to the same price. May have to go with that.
Old 11-04-13, 07:29 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by datlas
Why?? If your goal is to save money, why not get clinchers??
My bike has some nice DT Swiss clinchers. I just prefer tubular tires by a wide margin. Been a few years and I'm ready to go back to them.
Old 11-04-13, 07:32 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22743 Post(s)
Liked 9,124 Times in 4,238 Posts
My bike has some nice DT Swiss clinchers. I just prefer tubular tires by a wide margin. Been a few years and I'm ready to go back to them.
OK I hear you. You already know the good, the bad, and the ugly about sewups. I used them back in the day but for now am a clincher boy.

I was just checking. I know some newbies jump into tubulars to save a couple hundred grams on wheel weight and end up with more trouble than they need at that stage.

Carry on.
Old 11-04-13, 10:49 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
That's not bad at all. I did just find these:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ch...FSdp7AodbQQAMg

Buying the King hubs alone is pretty close to the same price. May have to go with that.
Those look good too. I think you can do pretty well in that price range and at this time of year with the change to 11 speed on the horizon, you can get a good deal on a 10 speed only hub.

The HED's that I had built are really awesome - it's some combination of the bearings in the DT Swiss hubs and the wider rim and the Tufo 23 Elite tires. I don't know what it is, but it's my favorite wheelset for sure (I've got so many wheelsets in the garage, it's silly).

I find it to be less work and fooling around than with clinchers. I keep really complete maintenance records on my bikes and I've found that using Tufo's "tubeless tubulars" I get between 1/6th to 1/8th the flats I did with clinchers. With their tape system, it's really easy to set it up and change a tire. The last three tires I've changed were down to the cords and no flats. So, tubulars would have to be a seriously major increase in work before it wouldn't be worth it, and they just are not.

Let us know what you decide on wheels and how you like them.

J.