Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why ask why?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why ask why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 01:25 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Why ask why?

My wife is a low level hoarder, and I'm indifferent to home organization (read: slob), so my wife hires a young lady to help straighten up. It's a good arrangement. The woman is married to a seminarian, meaning she's dirt poor and could use the money. She also doesn't have a shred of sentimentality, at least with our stuff, so she is successful making my wife part with stuff that has been gathering dust for twenty or more years.

However, the last time she was here, she stored my Planet Bike red blinky God only knows where. I looked high and low, and in one area looked three times for naught.

Planet Bike blinkies cost $45 and can be seen from outer space.

After two months of looking, I bought a new blinky on Friday from the LBS (I try to support them because they're great). Then I decided to put new handlebar tape on.

Within thirty seconds of looking for duct tape, I found the original blinky. When I bought the new blinky, my spider senses told me that I would find the old blinky in short order.

Someone's just messing with me.

I looked for about a half hour for the duct tape until I remembered that I kept it in my bike bag.

I looked for another half hour until it occurred to me that I left the handlebar tape in the trunk of my car.

Anyway, I'm blaming the organizing woman.

Since the wonderful warm snap we had is being ushered out by yet another Artic Express, anyone else have similar tales of woe?

Old 02-23-14, 01:32 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Yup. I think that your title says it all. That's just how it is.
Old 02-23-14, 01:53 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 2,118 Times in 596 Posts
Welcome to upper middle age.

Say ... what was your name again?

Old 02-23-14, 02:13 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Liked 1,347 Times in 629 Posts
I misplaced my good air pressure gauge last Fall, looked high and low for it for 2 days. I finally gave up and went and bought a new one, the next day I picked up a Shimano spec sheet from the work bench and there it was.
Old 02-23-14, 02:17 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Old 02-23-14, 02:49 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
With the exception of the hired organizer, this is sounding like at 50+ thread ... wait, this IS a 50+ thread.

I share the feeling of frustration knowing you have something but can't find it. In my case it doesn't matter whether I'm left to my form of organization, looks like chaos, or my wifes, everything in it's place. Still can find it.
Old 02-23-14, 05:18 PM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It must be annoying to see all those Planet Bike Blinkies from the space station!
When I throw out stuff from the basement I get accused of taking our memories away to a dump.or dad you are throwing away our childhood! It's so bad here after I clean out the basement,they go through all the contractor garbage bags and bring most of it back inside.

I must admit no one touches my bike stuff.Even if someone uses my car they remove all the bike equipment.I think I misplace more bike clothes than bike parts or tools.Im missing a mtb shorts liner.I really like those shorts.I have spent hours and hours looking for the liner to no avail.I can't remember where I purchased them either.The name brand must be on the liner.Note don't buy mtb shorts that come in 2 pieces .I assume the liner must be with all those missing socks and combs. Now that I think of it there must be a black hole in our house.
Old 02-23-14, 05:31 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
N + 1, now you need a new bike to mount the new blinkie on.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-23-14, 05:31 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
It must be annoying to see all those Planet Bike Blinkies from the space station!
When I throw out stuff from the basement I get accused of taking our memories away to a dump.or dad you are throwing away our childhood! It's so bad here after I clean out the basement,they go through all the contractor garbage bags and bring most of it back inside.

I must admit no one touches my bike stuff.Even if someone uses my car they remove all the bike equipment.I think I misplace more bike clothes than bike parts or tools.Im missing a mtb shorts liner.I really like those shorts.I have spent hours and hours looking for the liner to no avail.I can't remember where I purchased them either.The name brand must be on the liner.Note don't buy mtb shorts that come in 2 pieces .I assume the liner must be with all those missing socks and combs. Now that I think of it there must be a black hole in our house.
If you buy a new liner, you are guaranteed to find the old one with ten minutes of your arrival home. You won't even have to be looking for them.

Old 02-23-14, 05:55 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Liked 262 Times in 158 Posts
So, I changed out the tires on the old Team Fuji to some Vittoria Rubino's. They were a struggle to get on the rims and I thought this is exactly how I pinch tubes, I need to make sure that doesn't happen.

Well it happened.
Old 02-23-14, 08:11 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Quite a lot of bicycle content for a thread in a fishing forum. Who makes the best reels - Shimano or SRAM?

Is is almost Spring yet?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gmc10801320130321022100.jpg (31.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-23-14, 08:16 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 737 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Is is almost Spring yet?

One of my barn cats already scored a bluebird. There's still 15 inches of snow in the back yard, what are bluebirds doing here already???

Oh, and BTW has anybody seen my frame pump?
Old 02-23-14, 09:26 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,369 Times in 862 Posts
My wife and I are packrats, and after 33 years in the same smallish house, in which we raised two boys, we definitely have too much stuff. It is easy to stay neat and organized when you have more storage space than stuff, but it becomes a real challenge when you accumulate too much.

Our buzzword is "Get Rid Of Surplus Stuff" (great acronym, right?), but we're not terribly good at it, even though we mean well.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-23-14, 09:32 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
If you want to find out where a missing tool is just speculate that someone might have picked it up wherever you left it out last and then you'll find it somewhere in your toolbox.

This is just the way the gods work.
Old 02-23-14, 10:49 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I had the same problem. Couldn't find my LHT anywhere, so had to go to the LBS and get a new bike. Didn't get the same kind of course. Roubaix. My thinking was just like yours. Just as soon as I bought a new one, I would find the old. And wouldn't you know it, walked into the garage and there it was. IDK?? I guess N+1 gets easier with age!
Old 02-24-14, 06:32 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
One of my barn cats already scored a bluebird. There's still 15 inches of snow in the back yard, what are bluebirds doing here already???

Oh, and BTW has anybody seen my frame pump?
Its robins here, they are big, fat ones that congregate in the yards and fields. Check your other hand for the frame pump, that is where I usually find the thing I have torn the garage apart looking for something.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-24-14, 07:53 AM
leob1

Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Two questions, is the roll of duct tape in your bike bag a full roll? How big is your bike bag? To you carry it with you on the bike?
Give the poor girl a $5 tip for putting your licht some place safe.
Old 02-24-14, 09:27 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I spent about 45 minutes over three days looking for the mount for my NiteRider light so I could put in on my commuter. I knew I was just holding it a few days prior. I blamed my son who stopped in to use the repair stand and some tools to do some work on his bike. But it wasn't him. No, it was me. I found it on the handlebars of the bike I was going to put it on.
Old 02-24-14, 06:27 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I spent about 45 minutes over three days looking for the mount for my NiteRider light so I could put in on my commuter. I knew I was just holding it a few days prior. I blamed my son who stopped in to use the repair stand and some tools to do some work on his bike. But it wasn't him. No, it was me. I found it on the handlebars of the bike I was going to put it on.
LOL
Old 02-24-14, 10:53 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Devilishly clever place for it to hide, eh.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-24-14, 11:37 PM
fasthair

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Not bike related other then I carry it my backpack on my bike. Three days looking now and still can't find the dang sleeve for my laptop. I keep saying just go buy a new one with the following thought it will show up then.

fasthair
Old 02-24-14, 11:44 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Will the young lady travel to California?

I need help cleaning up the assorted detritus left behind by my four children. There is no such thing as an empty nest while their stuff is still in the garage and all over the rest of the house.
Old 02-24-14, 11:46 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think this story gets the blue ribbon for stupidity, or senility or something.
The television channel changer lost a function, then lost another function. Within a week or ten days it was only half working so I threw it out.

After the garbage man had emptied our bin, I thought, "I wonder if it just needed new batteries?"
Old 02-25-14, 06:58 AM
tsurr

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Learn to enjoy this experience, it happens more frequently as we age; currently looking for new right hand bike glove in the garage, that I haven't seen since fall, been using mittens due to the cold, hopefully by the next warm up I will have my glove, if not , look a little more.
Old 02-25-14, 07:49 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Liked 2,708 Times in 981 Posts
Originally Posted by tsurr
Learn to enjoy this experience, it happens more frequently as we age; currently looking for new right hand bike glove in the garage, that I haven't seen since fall, been using mittens due to the cold, hopefully by the next warm up I will have my glove, if not , look a little more.
I usually find the missing gloves the next year when I put on the jacket I left it in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.