Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New custom 11-speed Alfine Di2 Gates belt drive commuter.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 05:46 PM
ryan0402

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just got my custom made commuter bike. 700c wheels, 11-speed electronic Alfine Di2 hub with Gates belt drivem, Shimano XT Icetech hydraulic front brake. Smooth like butter!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3248.jpg (91.1 KB, 429 views)
IMG_3250.jpg (86.6 KB, 291 views)
IMG_3253.jpg (93.0 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by ryan0402; 05-18-14 at 10:08 AM. Reason: too many haters for a new member
Likes For ryan0402:
Old 05-17-14, 05:50 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting frame.

I'm interested in the Di2 alfine system, but my bike came with a nexus 7. =\
Old 05-17-14, 06:22 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice bike.
Old 05-17-14, 06:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
Sorry but I am not impressed.. Not my style...Way too complicated.. How does a person service such a complex machine at home ??... and why electronic shifting ??..What happens when the batteries go out, how do you shift then ??..What's next power assisted steering ??.. The way technology is going with bikes, it looks like in the near future they will require a special dealerships for routine maintenance..
Old 05-17-14, 06:39 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a unique look. Who made it and where?

Don't forget to get a nice lock for it.
Old 05-17-14, 07:14 PM
linus
Crawler

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I don't think it's practical or well engineered, but as an art, I like it.

BTW, having only front brake is stupid idea when you have freewheel rear. Also good luck with stand over height.
Old 05-17-14, 07:20 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by linus

BTW, having only front brake is stupid idea when you have freewheel rear. Also good luck with stand over height.

I'm with you on this one...
Old 05-17-14, 07:21 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
i saw these before when i was in Tallinn.

where do you live and whom did you order through?
Old 05-17-14, 07:22 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Not at all. I run only a front brake on my SS bike and hardly ever use the rear on my MTB.
Old 05-17-14, 08:00 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I run only a front brake on my SS bike.
Yeah I've seen that a lot, it's very HIP and trendy to run front brake on fixie frames that have a freewheel instead of a fixed cog. If all you have is a front brake and the cable breaks , then you're screwed... unless you're riding fixed gear which is easy to stop without brakes. Brake cables sometimes snap right at where they go into brake lever. It's rare but it can happen, I've had it happen to me. It's best to have two brakes on a freewheel bike.
Old 05-17-14, 11:09 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The late Sheldon Brown wrote you should really have a front brake on a fixed gear bike on the road. I love fixed gear riding and with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed fixed gear hub, you can select the gear on the road to keep smooth form.
Old 05-18-14, 01:35 AM
ryan0402

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Sorry but I am not impressed.. Not my style...Way too complicated.. How does a person service such a complex machine at home ??... and why electronic shifting ??..What happens when the batteries go out, how do you shift then ??..What's next power assisted steering ??.. The way technology is going with bikes, it looks like in the near future they will require a special dealerships for routine maintenance..
Actually the Alfine Di2 hub is pretty maintenance free. Just have to change oil and that's not even that often. I'm pretty sure most people would be capable of that. Batteries can last for 2-3 weeks worth of riding, so it is really no issue. I typically charge it once a week anyways.

Also the front hydraulic brake only because that's all I need and also to mainly to keep as clean look as possible on the bike and handle bars without cabling. Finally it's actually more comfortable than it looks. I'll post a little riding video.
Old 05-18-14, 02:06 AM
yote223

Bikes: A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What in the heck is that? You're kidding right?
Old 05-18-14, 03:24 AM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yote223
What in the heck is that? You're kidding right?
The bike isn't a joke (which is to say that it's real), but this thread probably is.

I'm pretty sure that I saw this bike on Bike Snob's blog sometime in the last year; one of these "re-imaginings" of the bicycle by some art design major with zero engineering experience or education, who also has apparently never ridden a bike.

Twin top tubes I've seen, and even ridden, but twin down tubes, because the bike was maybe too light? Down tube clearance that's lower than the bottom bracket, for no discernible reason? A punishingly high standover height? A minimal amount of saddle height adjustment? No way to adjust or alter handlebar fit or stem length? Barely any room on said tiny handlebars for lights, mirrors, or bells, and no way to install racks or fenders?

I just can't see any practical use for this bike. Is there a niche for heavy, aero bikes, that you might or might not fit, depending on your body type? I know that some urban cyclists utilize narrow handlebars to fit through traffic, but anything narrower than your shoulders is just a fashion affection. The only thing this bike is made to do is turn heads, on account of it being so strange and unique, much like a lowrider car or monster truck. Unique, yes; practical, no.

The OP has only posted twice, solely in this thread. Without a video of the OP riding this bike, I'm calling hoax. And if this isn't a hoax, I seriously hope that the OP has a very short commute with secure parking for what I imagine is a pretty expensive, and definitely eye catching, bike. Lastly, you can't put a rack on it to carry loads, you can't put fenders on it to keep you dry, you can't adjust to the bike to fit your body, but you could at least put some grips on it to keep you from slipping when you ride in the wet, if you ride in the wet. And if you don't ride when it's wet, is it really a 'commuter'? Or is it just a pleasure ride that you take to work when the weather's nice?
Old 05-18-14, 03:34 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
The bike isn't a joke (which is to say that it's real), but this thread probably is.

I'm pretty sure that I saw this bike on Bike Snob's blog sometime in the last year; one of these "re-imaginings" of the bicycle by some art design major with zero engineering experience or education, who also has apparently never ridden a bike.

Twin top tubes I've seen, and even ridden, but twin down tubes, because the bike was maybe too light? Down tube clearance that's lower than the bottom bracket, for no discernible reason? A punishingly high standover height? A minimal amount of saddle height adjustment? No way to adjust or alter handlebar fit or stem length? Barely any room on said tiny handlebars for lights, mirrors, or bells, and no way to install racks or fenders?

I just can't see any practical use for this bike. Is there a niche for heavy, aero bikes, that you might or might not fit, depending on your body type? I know that some urban cyclists utilize narrow handlebars to fit through traffic, but anything narrower than your shoulders is just a fashion affection. The only thing this bike is made to do is turn heads, on account of it being so strange and unique, much like a lowrider car or monster truck. Unique, yes; practical, no.

The OP has only posted twice, solely in this thread. Without a video of the OP riding this bike, I'm calling hoax. And if this isn't a hoax, I seriously hope that the OP has a very short commute with secure parking for what I imagine is a pretty expensive, and definitely eye catching, bike. Lastly, you can't put a rack on it to carry loads, you can't put fenders on it to keep you dry, you can't adjust to the bike to fit your body, but you could at least put some grips on it to keep you from slipping when you ride in the wet, if you ride in the wet. And if you don't ride when it's wet, is it really a 'commuter'? Or is it just a pleasure ride that you take to work when the weather's nice?
To be fair, I have seen these bikes IRL when I was in Estonia over the summer.

Your rack hype is also overrated.
Old 05-18-14, 07:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Where do you carry the locks, to keep it?

wear a full face helmet... since when you panic stop with a front brake only, you will go down face first.

Have all that space in the middle ... sell it to someone for advertising signage.

monthly payments.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-16-14 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-18-14, 07:17 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Where do you carry the locks, to keep it?
backpack / belt
Old 05-18-14, 07:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I wanted the OP , Ryan, to answer where they mount it, oh young hipster..

I have them on the bike , being able to ride the bike without always hauling a back pack .. I didnt see a practical place ,, will a U lock slip between the 2 tubed top?
Old 05-18-14, 07:45 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Sorry but I am not impressed....
...I'm calling hoax....
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I wanted the OP , Ryan, to answer where they mount it, oh young hipster.. ...
LOL, another new member chased off by the brigade of old Freds. You guys must have been born 80 years old.

I kinda like it and if he can afford it, why should I care how he locks it? Maybe he doesn't leave it outside. Not every commute is just like mine.
Old 05-18-14, 07:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

We get Practical after a number of bike thefts.
Old 05-18-14, 09:29 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I am hugely into creativity and ingenuity and things that are quirky. That said.....I appreciate the imagination of this thing, but i do not feel it belongs in "commuter" forum. Maybe in "concept art" forum, if there is one.

There is no utility to this thing, no ability to do anything but ride it. No water bottle mounts, no racks or anywhere to carry anything, and if you ride in wet, the frame & rider will get splattered all over. Lack of rear brake to me means lack of respect for safety in my personal opinion.

- Andy
Old 05-18-14, 09:41 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Di2 is da ballz and I would gladly build a customer bike using it. Personally, I don't have the cash for that setup and if I did, would probably spend it elsewhere. But kudos to the OP for getting a swank custom.

Only daft thing about it is front brake only. We have a lot of sand and gravel on the road here after Winter and I'd feel a lot more comfortable on a bike with the option of using a rear brake instead of front only. That said, if OP is commuting on clean streets most of the time, no worries.

Nice bike!
Old 05-18-14, 09:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Reading negative reviews on the cable shifted ones, IDK if they sorted all that out on the Di2 11 speed Alfine version.
Old 05-18-14, 10:09 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,581 Times in 1,068 Posts

I also don't think it's practical or well engineered for the numerous reasons posted by others, as an art object, I don't like it. The stand over height is crazily stupid as well as hazardous to the rider's well being. This is a case of neither form nor function being admirable.
Old 05-18-14, 10:10 AM
andyprough

Bikes: Motobecane

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just scanned a few thousand images from Bike Snob's blog for the past couple of years and saw NOTHING that even closely resembles these pictures. Tineye.com returns zero hits from anywhere on the internet for any of the photos. Seems like you should have to cite a specific image if you are going to call someone out as a liar like that.

NormanF
The late Sheldon Brown wrote you should really have a front brake on a fixed gear bike on the road.
Yup - Fixed Gear Bicycles for the Road - by Sheldon "Coasting Is Bad For You" Brown, revisions by John "Track Stand" Allen -
This same feel for traction will help you learn exactly how hard you can apply your front brake without quite lifting the rear off the ground. Most fixed-gear riders only use a front brake--a rear brake is quite unnecessary on a fixed-gear machine.
Ride on, fixie lovers, ride on...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.