Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need help picking a new used bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 12:13 AM
Tekcor1

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Secteur Disc, 1993 Bridgestone MB-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I've been commuting on a Bridgestone MB-2 for the last two years during the summer a couple times a week, and recently I've started doing longer rides to work. Right now I ride ~20 miles each way and have decided to upgrade to an actual road bike so I can ride faster and further. I would also like to do a century by the end of the summer. My budget is to stay under $1000, and I think I've narrowed down a few contenders. First my stats: I'm 235 lbs (down from 360, YAY!), 6'1" tall, with a 32" inseam. At the LBS, they said I would be in a 58-60cm bike. Here's what I've found. Any advice about any or all of the bikes would be greatly appreciated. I know I'm supposed to ride them for fit, but the last road bike I rode was my dad's Nishiki in the 80's, so I have absolutely no idea what a road bike is supposed to ride like.

Kestrel Talon - 58 cm 900
Carbon fiber road bike with 9 speed cassette and dual chain rings. The drivetrain is full Ultegra and the wheel set is Velomax Vista. It also has a Cateye Strada double w
Kestrel Talon - 58 cm

Trek 5500 Men's Carbon Frame Road Bike w/ Everything in Excellent Cond 800
condition: excellent For Sale: Men's OCLV Carbon Frame and Forks Road Bike 58cm. Excellent Condition w/ Accessories. Low mileage. Inside storage. Used this bike for one s
Trek 5500 Men's Carbon Frame Road Bike w/ Everything in Excellent Cond

Cannondale R1000 ( 58cm) 900
Cannondale R1000 road bike. 58cm frame . This bike is fast and light. Please don't bother emailing me with lower offers. This bike is worth it. Call Art. Here are the spe
Cannondale R1000 ( 58cm)

2012 Giant Defy 1 850
2012 Giant defy 1 size M/L, shimanoo 105 group set, shimanoo wheel set ($400) ,carbon fiber seat port, composite fork, etc. Cons: smaller chain rings could be replaced bu
2012 Giant Defy 1

Road Bike - Trek 2.3 56cm 650
2008 Trek 2.3 road bike, 56cm. It is mostly Shimano 105, with an Ultegra rear derailier. Really hasn't been ridden much. It will need new handle bar tape, but other than
https://skagit.craigslist.org/bik/4464647401.html

Cannondale CAAD8 R900 Optimo 725
condition: excellent size / dimensions: 60cm This is a 60cm Cannondale CAAD8 R900 Optimo that has been build up with newer 105/Tiagra 10spd double components. The bike is
Cannondale CAAD8 R900 Optimo

Cannondale CAAD9-6 (60 cm) 700
Beautiful People, I have this super sexy white and red Cannondale road bike, aluminum frame, carbon fork. I have used it for commuting, zipping around for funzies, long r
Cannondale CAAD9-6 (60 cm)
Old 05-19-14, 12:12 PM
Tekcor1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are there too many choices here? Perhaps if I narrowed it down to two bikes people may have some input? I'm leaning toward either the Cannondale CAAD9-6 (Cannondale CAAD9-6 (60 cm)) or the Kestrel Talon (Kestrel Talon - 58 cm). Which would you choose for a first road bike? I'm currently doing about 100 miles a week on my MTB bike.
Old 05-19-14, 12:32 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I'd say ride the r1000 and r900 and pick the one that fits best.
Old 05-19-14, 04:20 PM
Tekcor1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aww, c'mon. ~Now~ you guys decide to keep your opinions to yourself? Help a one-legged fat guy out!
Old 05-19-14, 04:52 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're all good. Any one of those frames is solid and good enough to race on. Pick one with a 10spd groupset, and go
Old 05-19-14, 05:20 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
All look nice. Since I just built up a CAAD9 frame and I love it, it's hard for me to suggest anything but the Cannondales
Old 05-19-14, 05:33 PM
Tekcor1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kudude
They're all good. Any one of those frames is solid and good enough to race on. Pick one with a 10spd groupset, and go
Does a 10spd groupset make a significant difference versus a 9spd groupset? Also, as a bigger guy would I regret getting a double versus a triple? I'm enticed by the Kestrel Talon because is carbon fiber but it's a 9spd double...
Old 05-19-14, 05:43 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Come on down for this one:

Fuji "Professional" road racing bike * 58cm * Dura Ace + Ultegra grp

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 05-19-14, 06:05 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With your budget, I'd buy new online thru either REI or Performance and get a warranty.

Right now you could cash in on the REI anniversary sale. Just go to www.rei.com/outlet.html

and order the GT Corsa 1.0 ....It comes in chromoly steel with a Tiagra gruppo @ $640 with your membership.

Otherwise, you could go to www.performancebike.com and order the GT GTR Series 2 aluminum road bike with a 105/Tiagra gruppo mix @ $1000

Last edited by WestPablo; 05-19-14 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 06:41 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo
With your budget, I'd buy new online thru either REI or Performance and get a warranty.

Right now you could cash in on the REI anniversary sale. Just go to www.rei.com/outlet.html

and order the GT Corsa 1.0 ....It comes in chromoly steel with a Tiagra gruppo @ $640 with your membership.

Otherwise, you could go to www.performancebike.com and order the GT GTR Series 2 aluminum road bike with a 105/Tiagra gruppo mix @ $1000
How many different threads are you going to suggest the same GT bike from REI?

Personally, I think if you are a little educated you can get a much better deal used. I'd rather have the better frameset and components that his used budget will afford and for $700-800 I wouldn't stress the warranty to hard. Most things that go wrong on a bike are wear and tear and not covered.
Old 05-19-14, 07:08 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rms13
How many different threads are you going to suggest the same GT bike from REI?
As many as I like! Why? If you don't like it, you could always cry!

Personally, I think if you are a little educated you can get a much better deal used.
Sometimes, it may matter what you think. This unfortunately, is NOT one of those times!

I'd rather have the better frameset and components that his used budget will afford and for $700-800
The used market is filled with sharks and con artists, trying to unload their damaged and unworthy goods unto the public. Certainly great bargains can be discovered on both eBay and CL, but these are places where sometimes, dubious money grubbing predators, sport their latent capitalistic talons, as they await their unsuspecting prey.

I wouldn't stress the warranty to hard. Most things that go wrong on a bike are wear and tear and not covered.
Yeah, but what if there's a hairline crack in the frame of the used bike? Then the buyer finds himself at a financial loss, with no practical recourse to consider. OTOH, if there's a hairline fracture within the frame of brand new and warrantied bicycle, the cyclist is made whole thru either a refund, or a frame replacement.
For some reason, having a warranty, makes more sense to me. It also would appear to be the natural preference of an intelligent and educated consumer.

Have A Nice Day!

Last edited by WestPablo; 05-19-14 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 08:37 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo
Sometimes, it may matter what you think. This unfortunately, is NOT one of those times!
Kind of like suggesting to someone to buy a steel frame, endurance bike with entry level components when they are looking at carbon and aluminum race bikes with 105 and Ultegra.
Old 05-19-14, 09:17 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rms13
Kind of like suggesting to someone to buy a steel frame, endurance bike with entry level components when they are looking at carbon and aluminum race bikes with 105 and Ultegra.

The OP references the Giant Defy 1. That's an Endurance road bike!

IMHO, a new road bike will always trump a used bike, and that's especially so, when it comes in chromoly steel. Today's Tiagra, was yesterday's 105. Therefore, I find recommending the GT Corsa 1.0 well within reason (not that I should have to explain that to you).