Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Better handlebar options for the 1999 Spec Hardrock FS that i'm commuting / touring?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Better handlebar options for the 1999 Spec Hardrock FS that i'm commuting / touring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 08:11 AM
AcousticRanger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm currently riding about 20 miles a day on the hardrock I bought new in 2000. the cassette and derailleurs seem to have a lot of life in them and frankly money is very tight so I'm looking for a cheaper option than buying a new Kona Rove as a daily rider.

I've been considering either dirt drops or touring bars but I'm really not sure how either is going to affect my bike.

Another cheaper option I've contemplated is bar ends... I know they aren't "popular" but it would be a cheaper option if I was going with the touring bars.

I'd love to hear your experience / recommendations but keep in mind that if the best option is a new bike then I still need to make this one work for a year to save the money.
Old 09-07-14, 09:49 AM
elephino

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar ends aren't popular? I even see them on some XMart bikes...

I have Ergon grips with integrated bar ends on my Spec Vita. Specialized also sells grips with integrated bar ends if you want to keep it in the family, and of course you can add on ones pretty easily if they work with your grips. One cool thing I've seen is to put the bar 'ends' on first, and THEN the grips, so the bar ends are more towards the inside. It won't give you the leverage for singletrack, but will allow a more aerodynamic position for road riding.

I'm in the process of swapping trekking handlebars onto my mountain hybrid. I can let you know how that goes in a couple weeks or so!
Old 09-07-14, 05:23 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Barends will help without costing much. Also favor the trekking bar,my Safari came with one and I really like it. It should swap straight on and use your stock stem and controls.

Another question,what tires are you running? Street slicks will make things much easier than knobbies.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 09-07-14, 06:01 PM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either way adding extra hand positions will be super helpful. I went the route of shallow drops "dirt drops" and couldn't be happier. It I see no reason why bar ends would be any less desirable and like you said tons cheaper. I'd say if you have money constraints go with the bar ends.
Old 09-07-14, 06:59 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'd go with a Nitto Albatross or Nitto Bosco bar. A wide upswept bar makes all the difference in a comfortable ride.

People have had them on old three speeds/town bikes for decades now.

As for tires, fast rolling fat slicks are the ticket.
Old 09-07-14, 09:53 PM
AcousticRanger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using street slicks.
Old 09-07-14, 10:30 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW, I went from a high rise MTB bar to something from XLC that was a more exaggerated version of that, to this:

Amazon.com : Wald Steel Handlebar #803 5.25" 27" 1" Black : Bike Handlebars : Sports & Outdoors

which I putting on the build to replace and upgrade my MTB commuter/do it all bike.

I rode my old back up bike the other day (gave it to a house mate) and it has bar ends. Reminded me that I do like them, but only on some uphills or on quiet country roads. In-city, my hands are always on the controls so I don't really need more hand positions, just the most comfortable possible one at the grips. That said, I'm looking into bribing one of my buddies with a welder to cut and re-weld some bar ends to change their sweep to put them in the right spot/angle for going with handlebars of greater sweep...

I set up my girlfriends converted city MTB with black Soma Sparrow bars and she really liked these at first and still for shorter rides, but found the sweep too extreme for a comfortable hand angle on longer (30-40 mile) rides. Shorter rides too, really. I just put a handlebar almost exactly like that Wald on hers for her to try (out of my build pile).

Last edited by Medic Zero; 09-07-14 at 10:34 PM.