Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Just moved back to SD. Need dirt/gravel route suggestions.

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-14, 03:46 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

Just moved back here after 5+ years in New York City. I'm excited to get to explore this place by bike but would like some suggestions as to where I can get some longer rides in on my cross bike or mtb. I also like doing gravel/dirt rides on my road bike so suggestions for that would be great too.

Based in east county. I also love riding single track on the MTB and would love to know what the most fun intermediate trails are in the area.

I know this is a very broad question but maybe some of you have favorite routes you wouldn't mind sharing.

Also if you know of any local shops that organize cross practice somewhere, let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-14, 10:05 AM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you haven't got any responses yet I'll give what (little) I know about what you're asking to give this a bump. The first place I can think of since it's essentially in the east county is Mission Trails, plenty of fire roads and mixed use trails. Los Penasquitos is one that runs from Poway or there abouts, all the way to Torrey Pines. It is mostly mixed use though.

As far as shops that organize cross practice, I don't know offhand but suggest Anywhere Bike Repair in Kearney Mesa, ask Stu I understand he's into MTBing and knows plenty of places in the east county where he lives.
Old 10-01-14, 10:41 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 281 Posts
Check out this site for MTB spots MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures

not much gravel here, we do have plenty of dirt/sand though. If you have climbing legs check out

Nate Harrison Grade (Palomar Mt), Black Canyon (Ramona), Eagle Peak Road to Engineers (Julian)

If you want to keep it flat, most of our man made lakes have super easy/flattish trails around them that you can ride the CX on.
Old 10-02-14, 02:48 PM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Man There are trails everywhere. I am in PQ so find myself in that canyon quite a bit as I can ride from house

Sycamore Canyon, Nobel Canyon Mission Trails Laguna Daley Ranch Lake Poway Mt Miguel Cowels Mtn the list goes on The original Master plan for San Diego was done such as there would be open space and there is and much of it is MTB territory. Most of it will require climbing. Plenty of dirt and rock not so much gravel

East County is Vague so either narrow down your area and the type of trails you want and how far you are willing to go.

Welcome back
Old 10-07-14, 04:00 PM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Bikes: Felt Z5, Edict 9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mission Trails is the closest to East County. I usually ride there at 5 am on the weekdays. If you don't mind driving 30 minutes, Mt Laguna has some amazing singletrack.
Old 10-08-14, 10:55 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carloswithac
Mission Trails is the closest to East County. I usually ride there at 5 am on the weekdays. If you don't mind driving 30 minutes, Mt Laguna has some amazing singletrack.
I would second the Mt. Laguna recommendation - although I am jealous you all are so close. I drive 1 1/2 hours to get there but happily do so as the trails there are so wonderful! And the area beautiful....

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 10-11-14, 02:31 AM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the responses. I ended up doing a little riding in Mission Trails today on my cross bike, very fun. I'll have to check out Mt Laguna soon, looks like it's only 40 minutes from my house.