Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

cones on shimano 600 rear hub badly pitted. wheels MFG doesn't stock them. am I SOL?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

cones on shimano 600 rear hub badly pitted. wheels MFG doesn't stock them. am I SOL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-14, 07:44 PM
onesmalldrop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

while in the process of replacing a bent axle, I realized one of my cones was badly pitted. the hub is a rear Shimano 600. it's pretty old. wheels manufacturing doesn't seem to stock the proper cones. am I totally out of luck here? are there other cones I can substitute?
Old 12-06-14, 07:57 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've usually just taken the cone and axle to a LBS that has a good assortment of old parts and find one that looks like a reasonably close match.
Old 12-06-14, 08:10 PM
onesmalldrop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that makes sense. they're old enough hubs that whatever damage a slight mismatch may cause is probably not worth losing sleep over. i'll go dig through the bins at the co-op tomorrow.
Old 12-06-14, 09:13 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked 3,500 Times in 1,226 Posts
If that doesn't work our send me an e-mail at rccardr@cox.net. I have some older 600 cones and can mail you one.
Old 12-06-14, 09:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5919 Post(s)
Liked 2,794 Times in 1,562 Posts
There's a Plan-B (more like Plan-C) repair that sometimes can save a worn set of cups or cones (or both).

If you substitute smaller balls for the originals, the ball track will be in a different place. If the worn track isn't too wide, you could be running on a virgin part of the cone, and go another 50,000 miles.

OF course. plan A is to buy or scrounge proper replacements. Since few people rebuild new rims on old hubs these days, there should be a decent number of good condition hubs heading for the trash bin, and a friendly mechanic can keep an eye out for the right one. (2 beers in advance, 2 more on delivery).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-06-14, 10:50 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by onesmalldrop
while in the process of replacing a bent axle, I realized one of my cones was badly pitted. the hub is a rear Shimano 600. it's pretty old. wheels manufacturing doesn't seem to stock the proper cones. am I totally out of luck here? are there other cones I can substitute?
Which generation of 600 do you have (there were many)? Is there a part number on the hub?

If you measure the existing cones, you might get away with ordering the ones with the closest measurements.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-07-14, 10:40 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It could be worth checking through here to see if something would match up. Hub Parts

You can also find NOS parts on ebay sometimes as well.
Old 12-07-14, 11:57 AM
onesmalldrop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Which generation of 600 do you have (there were many)? Is there a part number on the hub?

If you measure the existing cones, you might get away with ordering the ones with the closest measurements.
It just says "Shimano 600" unfortunately.
Old 12-07-14, 05:41 PM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Take a caliper to the existing hubs, and paw through the WM catalog. You may find a match in the non-Shimano parts, or find a cone that is so close that the difference is trivial.
Old 12-08-14, 03:25 PM
onesmalldrop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Never mind, I'm just blind, it totally has a part number: hb6207.
Old 12-08-14, 04:41 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Is it a freewheel hub, or a freehub model?

My 600 series are mid-90's and freehubs. The no. on the dustshield is 6402.
Old 12-08-14, 05:15 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
There's a Plan-B (more like Plan-C) repair that sometimes can save a worn set of cups or cones (or both).

If you substitute smaller balls for the originals, the ball track will be in a different place. If the worn track isn't too wide, you could be running on a virgin part of the cone, and go another 50,000 miles..
Huh, never thought of this one. Seems like a plan-B with some real potential.

jim
Old 12-08-14, 05:45 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by onesmalldrop
Never mind, I'm just blind, it totally has a part number: hb6207.
That's for both the front and rear? I believe that means you have the freewheel variant of the hub:

The cassette/freehub version would be marked FH-6207:

(Images stolen from VeloBase. )

That still doesn't get us a Wheels Mfg part #, but should help anyone digging through their junk bins.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-09-14, 08:27 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
Best bet is scavenging parts from old hubs but if in a pinch, I successfully resurfaced the cones and races on an old Campy hub by cleaning out the grease and substituting fine valve grinding compound and running the axle with a drill for about 10-15 minutes. I went through several grades of compound to get a very fine finish. Replace the balls when you are done and clean out the whole thing very thoroughly before reassembly. It will grind very slowly as valve compound is meant to cut sliding surfaces instead of rolling, but hey it does work. I have 3 years on that hub now and rolling like new. It did not cut through the surface hardening of the cones or races, I have a post about this somewhere on BF if you want to search for it...