Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A little trick

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A little trick

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-14, 05:36 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little trick

I drop one of my business cards down the seat post.

20 years ago a guy stole my bike and I ran him down and the police came. The guy keep saying it was his bike and just going on about wanting me arrested for knocking down. I let him go on then asked if he had ever seen me before and where he got the bike, after he said he had never seen me before I asked the cop to watch him close while his partner looked in the seat post.
You know the rest of the story!
Old 12-28-14, 06:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have always done this. Bike thieves are not the brightest people in the world. I have been known to put a card in the bottom bracket area too.
Old 12-28-14, 11:14 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 859 Posts
I have done the same, in addition to stamping my driver's license number on the bottom bracket shell as a sort of second serial number.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-28-14, 11:38 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
How did he get the card out? Assuming you greased the seatpost enough, I would think that might get on the card and make it stick in the tube.
Old 12-28-14, 12:10 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Excellent idea. I keep record of SN's where applicable by photo's.
Old 12-28-14, 12:15 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
These are great ideas. Not so sure about the outcome of running the guy down with your car though - it could go wrong in a large number of different ways.

But great that you got your bike back!
Old 12-28-14, 12:32 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,591 Times in 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by Burr

20 years ago a guy stole my bike and I ran him down and the police came. The guy keep saying it was his bike and just going on about wanting me arrested for knocking down. I let him go on then asked if he had ever seen me before and where he got the bike, after he said he had never seen me before I asked the cop to watch him close while his partner looked in the seat post.
What was the rest of the story? Did the other guy claim that you stuck the card in place on a previous occasion when it was parked on the street in order to pull some sort of scam?

If he had, what would you have said to disprove such a counter claim without the normal proof of purchase documentation?
Old 12-28-14, 03:41 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Use a 4 digit number with some meaning to you and engrave the number on the inside of each of the dropouts, providing they aren't carbon fiber. You can also do the same thing by engraving the steerer tube, seat post or the faceplate of you stem. I doubt that they can claim that you engraved the number on the parts while waiting for the cops to come.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-28-14, 03:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I just take a picture of the sticker with the serial number with a few other pictures of the bike and scan the original receipt. I do that for insurance reasons and it proves ownership.
Old 12-28-14, 04:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5993 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,624 Posts
The following requires the help of a friend at the USPS, or going to a Notary Public. I made the following up years ago for touring overseas, and for crossing the US Canadian border with my bike.

Photo the bike small enough to fit within a credit card sized print. Write the serial number on the back, along with your ID info and the date. Then bring to the post office and ask the clerk to post mark it for you (or have a notary sign and date). Laminate the whole thing and keep with you when touring, especially when crossing borders. To make it more conclusive, have a friend photograph you with the bike, and maybe include some recognizable landmark or newspaper headline to establish age and location- this is overkill, but why not?.

In the many times I've reentered the US and been asked to prove prior ownership of the bike, and that has always been accepted without challenge.

In this age of PDAs and cellphones you could probably update this concept with a photo showing you and the bike in front of something that can establish location.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-28-14, 05:12 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,054 Times in 1,653 Posts
The business card idea is for in case the crook takes the bike to a dealer for service; you might get a phone call. Proving ownership through on-line photos and such should be easy.

Old 12-28-14, 06:57 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
The card or a piece of paper with your information in the seat tube is time proven. Every case I have heard of ended in the rightful owner getting their bicycle back and the thief being successfully prosecuted when charges were pressed. Two were here in Escambia County, FL back in the late 70's. Seen several instances recently out of our area that had this used to reclaim a bicycle from some dink that was a thief.

As said by FBinNY, make sure you laminate, or place the paper in a plastic baggie, to keep in dry and legible. Disproving the low life, just have the above methods or recording the serial numbers photographically with your home and/or garage viewable in each picture with time and date stamp. I am a notary for Florida, any cyclist wanting this notarized just needs to ask, and its done, gratis, and recorded by me in my ledger.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-28-14 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 08:09 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 ^

I've got a picture of me with each of my bikes and the serial numbers on my cell phone, most taken in or beside my garage. Since the phone saves the photo data, including date, it would be tough for a thief to claim a scam. The information inside the seat post is also a good idea and I should do that as extra protection. A stolen bike was recovered at a bike co-op in the area a couple of years ago when someone brought it in for work and the legitimate owner spotted it and pulled his name and phone number out of the seat post.

On a related note, be aware that powder coating or even repainting a frame can obscure serial numbers.
Old 12-30-14, 12:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
take a photo of you with the bike and stick that down the tube
Old 01-21-16, 05:37 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it's time to look at this post again!!

Originally Posted by Burr

Old 01-21-16, 07:42 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 2,706 Times in 980 Posts
^
Thanks! I missed this originally. Never thought of that. I registered my bike on the manufacturer's website shortly after purchasing.

In addition, I have many photos of my bike, including a photo of the SN I keep with me. That helped a lot when it was stolen and recovered a couple of years ago.
Old 01-21-16, 09:45 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I have used the handle bars, put your info on a small piece of paper, roll it up and put it inside you handle bars, then put the plug in. If you need it, it's more believable if you tell the police to look in the right handle bar end.
There is also www.bikeindex.org where you can enter your bikes serial number and other identifiers so the police, or a bike shop, can look it up.
Old 01-21-16, 12:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
inside you handle bars, also www.bikeindex.org
good share, thanks!
Old 01-21-16, 04:25 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Police arrested a notorious Toronto bike thief a few years back, and I persuaded my biking buddy to drive me over to the open house where they were showing some of the 2,000 bikes they recovered -- our bikes had been stolen a few weeks before the arrest when we stupidly locked them in a quietish downtown spot with a flimsy lock. We found the bikes, only to discover that my bike store receipt had the serial number off by one. Police looked at us, the bikes and the cellphone picture I showed them of the two of us riding somewhere in Vermont and handed both bikes back. Business card idea would have made it all a lot simpler.
Old 01-21-16, 06:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 1,802 Posts
I used that trick on a guitar, using the card as a shim between the neck and body (it needed the shim to adjust the angle anyway). But I forgot to remove the card when I sold the guitar. I always wondered whether I'd get a call about my "stolen" guitar after someone discovered the card while tuning up the guitar. But that was 20 years ago, no call so far.