Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Close call, winter maintenance

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 06:48 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

I just wanted to clean off a front brake pad, and due to recent neglect and a comedy of errors it sort of cascaded to the rear derailleur. I'll spare the details but after finally getting everything in shape and back together I noticed that the pulleys were needle-sharp. Thinking why put $9 pulleys in a well-used $18 DR, just buy a new one. Then upgrade fever struck. I was looking at lists on the weight weenie site, checking off gear wrap capacity and thinking about the relationship of bearings vs bushings to watts wasted, not to mention how nice anodized surfaces and an actual model name would look back there ... but in the nick of time reason prevailed and my natural cycling parsimony asserted its ascendancy.

I didn't realize how dangerous neglecting routine maintenance might be in provoking the fever. Is it a lost cause? Are you still holding out against unnecessary upgrades, or is it inevitable? Maybe constant maintenance and replacing cheap parts before temptation builds is the only cure?
Old 01-03-15, 07:09 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pulley and bearing watts are pretty dang small. I wouldn't worry about them unless they're thoroughly gunked up. Friction facts did a report on it.
Old 01-03-15, 07:23 PM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I firmly believe that the best upgrade you can do to your drivetrain is achievable using bottle of degreaser and a bucket filled with warm soapy water. Of course Dura Ace shifters, 11 speed cassette and chain are a close second
Old 01-03-15, 07:26 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Sullalto
Pulley and bearing watts are pretty dang small. I wouldn't worry about them unless they're thoroughly gunked up. Friction facts did a report on it.
Right you are - that's how insidious the upgrade fever can be. A watt or two, why not, and then having said "A", ceramic wheel bearings don't seem that unreasonable. I think it must be a slippery slope once you get started on that path.
Old 01-03-15, 07:33 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by yankeefan
I firmly believe that the best upgrade you can do to your drivetrain is achievable using bottle of degreaser and a bucket filled with warm soapy water. Of course Dura Ace shifters, 11 speed cassette and chain are a close second
I was there with the bucket and degreaser on my way to the back DR, and I know that after the DR upgrade a new chain would have been next, but I would have had to decide on a cassette simultaneously, most likely. And then whether I really wanted at least a 9 speed, or 10, or 11 speed and all that that implies ... it feels like dodging a bullet. Starting with a brake pad.
Old 01-03-15, 07:40 PM
yankeefan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I was there with the bucket and degreaser on my way to the back DR, and I know that after the DR upgrade a new chain would have been next, but I would have had to decide on a cassette simultaneously, most likely. And then whether I really wanted at least a 9 speed, or 10, or 11 speed and all that that implies ... it feels like dodging a bullet. Starting with a brake pad.
Drive train upgrades are a slippery slope. The minute you decide you want an extra speed then you essentially will have to buy a new chain, shifter(s) and a possibly a rear mech. Even running a larger cassette of the same speed can mean getting a new chain & mech if you have a short arm derailleur. I'm always in favor of putting off upgrades until they are inevitable.
Old 01-03-15, 08:04 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
IMHO the best upgrade is to go FG/SS and then you don't have to worry about any special maintenance. I love the simplicity and fun I get out of my FG/SS drivetrains.
Old 01-03-15, 09:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
Oh, absolutely! So many things to fuss with and yet it will never be novel.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-03-15, 10:18 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also just pulled myself back twice from costly unnecessary upgrades.

It was the rear dérailleur most recently also. Hmm why not move to ten speed? Cause I don't need it.
Old 01-04-15, 12:41 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
A derailleur is about the last thing I'd consider upgrading. Replace when necessary, yes.

Lower end D's work wonderfully even with a minimum of maintenance, and the weight difference is negligible.
Old 01-04-15, 01:20 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
I feel that retrogrouchism, much like our beneficial gut bacteria, can aid in keeping diseases such as this "upgrade fever" you speak of at bay.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-04-15, 11:50 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I feel that retrogrouchism, much like our beneficial gut bacteria, can aid in keeping diseases such as this "upgrade fever" you speak of at bay.
Ah, that's a good one I can cling to. The downtube shifter on my beater still shifts just fine dadgummit.
Old 01-04-15, 01:12 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
A derailleur is about the last thing I'd consider upgrading. Replace when necessary, yes.
Lower end D's work wonderfully even with a minimum of maintenance, and the weight difference is negligible.

LOL!

Upgrading derailleurs makes a huge amount of sense to me because:

1) I have purchased all 3 ultegra 10 speed derailleurs I currently use for less than $50.
2) The stock ultegra rd has fluorine-coated pivots which weareducer (and friction).
3. The stock ceramic/composite bearings/bushings are more durable than those in low end or medium range rds.
3) Ultegra drive trains shift like butter.
5) A low end sora 9 speed rd weighs ~40 gms more than a ~189 gm ultegra 6700. paying $10-20 extra for a 40 gms weight reduction (with pulleys that retail for $15-20) seems like a very good deal to me.
Old 01-04-15, 01:18 PM
bubbagrannygear
just ride

Bikes: specialized roubaix, dawes sst ( steel single speed)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe constant maintenance and replacing cheap parts before temptation builds is the only cure?
Don't see how replacing a cheap part before it is completely worn would inoculate you against upgrade fever. You will still be contemplating a purchase before executing that purchase and studies have shown that is where the disease is contracted.

Believe that the only way to resist this malady is to constantly add bikes to the stable with whatever features your current ride might be lacking. Then replacing a part is simply replacing a part - because the other bike that you have purchased (or will in the future) already has/will have that other feature and the proper spare can be called upon when the conditions or mood dictate.

Pretty sure this isn't what you wanted to hear but sometimes the doctor has to deliver bad news.
Old 01-04-15, 01:27 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by bubbagrannygear
Don't see how replacing a cheap part before it is completely worn would inoculate you against upgrade fever. You will still be contemplating a purchase before executing that purchase and studies have shown that is where the disease is contracted.
Because there won't be multiple parts due replacement, tempting you, and you can keep the cheap "still has some life yet" one in your parts box. When it's needed on some bike, just use this spare instead of buying a new one ... bypassing the "this is a convenient time to upgrade" rationalization.

Even if the parts remain there in the box until they're hopelessly obsolete, they still facilitate the retrogrouch defense that ThermionicScott so kindly pointed out.

Originally Posted by bubbagrannygear
Believe that the only way to resist this malady is to constantly add bikes to the stable with whatever features your current ride might be lacking. Then replacing a part is simply replacing a part - because the other bike that you have purchased (or will in the future) already has/will have that other feature and the proper spare can be called upon when the conditions or mood dictate.

Pretty sure this isn't what you wanted to hear but sometimes the doctor has to deliver bad news.
I'm afraid that you're already lost, down that slippery slope Because I was just mulling over looking at Craigslist, for take-off parts upgrades, and pointing this out doesn't help much with the fever. I think that rainy winter must be a dangerous time, when you start thinking about these things.

Last edited by wphamilton; 01-04-15 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 01:46 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
LOL!

Upgrading derailleurs makes a huge amount of sense to me because:

1) I have purchased all 3 ultegra 10 speed derailleurs I currently use for less than $50.
2) The stock ultegra rd has fluorine-coated pivots which weareducer (and friction).
3. The stock ceramic/composite bearings/bushings are more durable than those in low end or medium range rds.
3) Ultegra drive trains shift like butter.
5) A low end sora 9 speed rd weighs ~40 gms more than a ~189 gm ultegra 6700. paying $10-20 extra for a 40 gms weight reduction (with pulleys that retail for $15-20) seems like a very good deal to me.
You are an evil tempter. Especially since it would be more like 100 grams in my case, plus another 100 with the cassette, and a bit more since the chain is lighter ...
Old 01-04-15, 01:46 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
IMHO the best upgrade is to go FG/SS and then you don't have to worry about any special maintenance. I love the simplicity and fun I get out of my FG/SS drivetrains.
As with all things, this depends on the individual situation. Someone who lives in the mountains and has a 20 mile commute is unlikely to like singlespeed. I don't think I would myself - there are parts of my ride that are up fairly steep hills, and other parts where I have 2 mile long flats on rural areas where in the summer I almost run out of gear inches at the top end. I think going single speed would seriously hurt my commute time, as in order to keep the gearing low enough to make it up the hills, I wouldn't be able to get to the 30 or so MPH I usually manage on the flats.

If one piece of advice such as "go single speed" worked for everyone, there would only be one kind of bike in the world.
Old 01-04-15, 01:49 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
FWIW, I am planning to move down to a cheaper derailleur when I wear out my drivetrain (again). It'll probably be another 10,000 miles or so. I only got a 10 speed rear because that's all I could find on a road bike. It's ridiculous overkill for me - I was happy with 8 speed and there are shifts on the 10 speed that I have now where I can hardly tell that anything changed, and I always wind up shifting again.

I can buy 8 speed chains for < $10 and 8 speed cassettes for < $20. Move up to 10 speed and I have to spend > $20 for chains and > $50 for cassettes. For something I don't have any use for.

I will have to come up with a cable pull adapter but that should be fun to design and make.
Old 01-04-15, 05:09 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
FWIW, I am planning to move down to a cheaper derailleur when I wear out my drivetrain (again). It'll probably be another 10,000 miles or so. I only got a 10 speed rear because that's all I could find on a road bike. It's ridiculous overkill for me - I was happy with 8 speed and there are shifts on the 10 speed that I have now where I can hardly tell that anything changed, and I always wind up shifting again.

I can buy 8 speed chains for < $10 and 8 speed cassettes for < $20. Move up to 10 speed and I have to spend > $20 for chains and > $50 for cassettes. For something I don't have any use for.

I will have to come up with a cable pull adapter but that should be fun to design and make.

just run a 9 speed cog with your 10 speed derailleur.

PS: i have a drawer-full of 10 speed chains i purchased for $11-15 and tiagra 10-speed cassettes can be purchased for ~$17-30.
Old 01-04-15, 07:38 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was looking at lists on the weight weenie site, checking off gear wrap capacity and thinking about the relationship of bearings vs bushings to watts wasted, not to mention how nice anodized surfaces and an actual model name would look back there ...
Over thinking all of those details that I don't have the ability to use has cost quite a bit. Luckily I regained a bit of my senses in time to limit the silliness to 7800 Dura Ace level. Sweeet, not a lot more than new current lower level stuff but don't really need a bit of it.

I've been happy with the Tacx Shimano 9/10 Stainless Derailleur Pulleys. About $15.

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
If one piece of advice such as "go single speed" worked for everyone, there would only be one kind of bike in the world.
I couldn't get home from the grocery store it that's all that they sold. A neighbor down the road couldn't believe that I ride up the hill by the new animal doctor up the road. He said that he couldn't do it when he was in his teens.....had to push his bike up it. Then it comes out that he had a Schwinn Sting-Ray type from the hardware store!!!

Last edited by gregjones; 01-04-15 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 07:44 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
PS: i have a drawer-full of 10 speed chains i purchased for $11-15
I'll double your money on two, if they are a KMC 10XSL.
Old 01-05-15, 07:35 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I am more susceptible to the N+1 Virus than Upgrade Fever. Perhaps I should have gotten the vaccine. Upgrade Fever is much less debilitating in the long-run than the N+1 Virus because it has a natural stopping point, when your bike is decked out with the best possible components. However, N+1 seems to keep replicating and replicating ...
Old 01-05-15, 06:13 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I'm contemplating obeying the complete nouvo record gruppo off my old bike in order to fund a new veloce gruppo for the modern bike, actually. Or N+1, ideally. Then just make the frame a FG/SS just to keep it rolling.
Old 01-06-15, 11:28 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by yankeefan
Drive train upgrades are a slippery slope. The minute you decide you want an extra speed then you essentially will have to buy a new chain, shifter(s) and a possibly a rear mech. Even running a larger cassette of the same speed can mean getting a new chain & mech if you have a short arm derailleur. I'm always in favor of putting off upgrades until they are inevitable.
I came to the realization that, on my 2x9 drivetrain, I pretty much always shift the back two gears at a time. I'm consciously trying to spend most of my time lately using my even cogs, to even out the wear with the odd ones I had been favoring.

And that leaves me contemplating a drivetrain downgrade from 9sp to 5sp; do they make 5sp cassettes with a 11-34 spread?
Old 01-06-15, 11:47 AM
yankeefan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I came to the realization that, on my 2x9 drivetrain, I pretty much always shift the back two gears at a time. I'm consciously trying to spend most of my time lately using my even cogs, to even out the wear with the odd ones I had been favoring.

And that leaves me contemplating a drivetrain downgrade from 9sp to 5sp; do they make 5sp cassettes with a 11-34 spread?
I don't think they make 5spd cassettes period. You'll likely have to get a 5spd freewheel, which means also getting a custom built rear wheel since nobody manufactures wheels without a freehub anymore. Like I said, drive train upgrades (or downgrade in your case) are a slippery slope. Very rarely can you get away with just changing one thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.