Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Fat guy falls!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 06:58 PM
road1bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fat guy falls!

Picked up my road bike today, and on the 5 mile ride home I fell at the two busiest intersections around!

Last edited by road1bike; 02-01-15 at 12:53 PM. Reason: adjust mileage
Old 01-31-15, 07:05 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by road1bike
Picked up my road bike today, and on the 6 mile ride home I fell at the two busiest intersections around!
First time on clipless?
Old 01-31-15, 07:22 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep going bud. I don't know anyone who has never fallen.
Old 01-31-15, 07:30 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been there; done that.
Old 01-31-15, 07:50 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Liked 45 Times in 34 Posts
It happens, more details?
Old 01-31-15, 09:23 PM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I fell the second day on my bike. Misjudged my ability to make a U-turn. Realized too late, didn't unclip in time, fell in someones front yard. Oh well. Nice soft landing on the grass. Wore the mud-stains and leaves stuck to my jersey like a badge of honor the rest of the ride.
Old 01-31-15, 10:36 PM
ray.garza

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus Limited and 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No worries. Everyone falls from young to the old. Do what I do, fall on someone to cushion the impact
Old 01-31-15, 11:58 PM
road1bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I Leave the bike shop and ride the back alley and clip and unclip a few times. I am at a mall. I leave the mall and there is a lot of traffic. as I approach the intersection, a lady is about to make a right turn in an suv, she iis not even looking my way. She makes aright, and I make a business decision to stop the bike, I forgot I was clipped in, (first time on clips). I fall, People are pulling up to me asking"Sir are you alright?"

Second fall busiest intersection in town. I am on an incline, and when I push off I miss the pedal. Since I'm on an incline, i am not going fast enough, I fall again!!!!Right wrist sore, left knee bleeding.

I get to the bike path, and the ride home was smooth and easy.

I will go out tomorrow and just practice clipping in and out.
Old 02-01-15, 12:15 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Liked 1,844 Times in 1,182 Posts
Falls... Sometimes it's just your turn...
Old 02-01-15, 01:21 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Just make a point of unclipping one foot (the same foot every time) well before any projected stopping point or intersection and you'll have no further difficulties. Anytime you're slowing and < 5 mph is probably a good time to unclip. It'll become habit and you'll have no more stories.

It's not just clipless pedals either - I did it with toe clips once in the middle of a HUGE intersection in the left turn lane. I was laughing so hard I had trouble standing back up.
Old 02-01-15, 08:23 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Just make a point of unclipping one foot (the same foot every time)
Just make sure you also always lean toward the foo that is unclipped when you stop. Nothing worse than unclipping the left and falling to the right.
Old 02-01-15, 09:29 AM
gjhsu

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL6 | Litespeed Ultimate Disc | Chumba Terlingua, Stella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by road1bike
So I Leave the bike shop and ride the back alley and clip and unclip a few times. I am at a mall. I leave the mall and there is a lot of traffic. as I approach the intersection, a lady is about to make a right turn in an suv, she iis not even looking my way. She makes aright, and I make a business decision to stop the bike, I forgot I was clipped in, (first time on clips). I fall, People are pulling up to me asking"Sir are you alright?"

Second fall busiest intersection in town. I am on an incline, and when I push off I miss the pedal. Since I'm on an incline, i am not going fast enough, I fall again!!!!Right wrist sore, left knee bleeding.

I get to the bike path, and the ride home was smooth and easy.

I will go out tomorrow and just practice clipping in and out.
I did pretty much exactly this at a hike and bike trail here in town, right in front of the little gazebo where people gather to chat, refuel, etc. It's the slow-motion fall of shame

Unfortunately, I fell to the right, and bent up the rear derailleur hanger, so had to fix that when I got home with a wrench.

Top tip: As soon as I got home, I backed out the adjustment nut to the loosest, then went in 4 clicks. It's still well below the halfway mark, but I figure in an emergency, I'd rather be able to unclip with as little effort as needed, while not letting my foot unclip unintentionally.
Old 02-01-15, 09:29 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another tip: if you have to choose which foot to unclip with, choose the left foot. That way, you don't fall into the traffic lane, you fall in the shoulder. Opposite if you live somewhere that people drive on the left side of the road.
Old 02-01-15, 11:28 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Oh I have fallen a few times on my road bike and my mountain bike.... the mountain bike being the funniest as I had unclipped my right foot, and then looked over my left shoulder to see where my son was (he was behind me a ways), and well I fell over on my left side.

My son had to help me get the bike off me so I could stand up. This was on a nice smooth repaved farm road with no traffic.
Old 02-01-15, 12:59 PM
road1bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I went out and practiced this morning on a bike path with no cars. Every other stroke I unclipped. The right side I kept banging my knee into the frame. The left side I could not unclip! 5 miles total

I came home and started looking for directions on how to adjust the pedal. The bike shop left no instructions and no tool. I looked on the pedal and saw the directions. Loosened the clips 1 click. Went back out and realized I could click out in either direction. Much better. Another 5 miles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2014_078_Cruise.jpg (101.7 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by road1bike; 02-01-15 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Better picture
Old 02-01-15, 01:09 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like the others said it happens to all of us my few falls were almost the same situation.
Old 02-02-15, 08:35 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Liked 182 Times in 92 Posts
I won't do clipless for this very reason. I know how to get out of toeclips really quick, I don't even have to think about it.
Old 02-02-15, 08:38 AM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
I won't do clipless for this very reason. I know how to get out of toeclips really quick, I don't even have to think about it.
I've only been doing clipless for a week and a half and I already get in and out without thinking. It's very easy. But you can get flustered/disoriented. There's no reason, even at a dead stop while falling, that you can't unclip. Except that we tend to instinctively want to slide out feet outward instead of twist them when panicked. Which wouldn't be any different with toeclips. You'd still have to take an unusual motion to free yourself; whether you learn that motion with toeclips or clipless.
Old 02-02-15, 08:52 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Because learning a new skill is impossible?
Old 02-02-15, 09:00 AM
JReade

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've fallen more in 2014 than I did in the 10 years prior. What changed? I started riding the local mtb trails. So many tumbles and crashes.
Old 02-02-15, 11:18 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Liked 182 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Because learning a new skill is impossible?
No, because I'm acutely aware of how hard 320 pounds hits the ground.
Old 02-02-15, 11:54 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
I've tumbled many times, but strangely never because of clips/straps or spds. When I first got my clips/straps (early 1980s) the bike shop guy told me to practice in my back yard in the grass, because "You will fall over once or twice til you get used to them". Then in 1990(?) or so I went to SPDs and a different bike shop guy told me the exact same thing. Now, decades later, I've never fallen because I was unable to unstrap or unclip. I've fallen for several other reasons but not that one.

And I never will, either. Why? I use platforms now and luv it.
Old 02-02-15, 11:57 AM
Kaminokaze

Bikes: Cevelo R5, Spyder Bike, Fuji Rubaix Pro,Gary Fisher Sugar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes if you cant get your feet under you it happens.
Old 02-02-15, 12:03 PM
dr_lha

No, because I'm acutely aware of how hard 320 pounds hits the ground.
I've experienced 290lbs hitting the ground. Once. Everyone falls once on clipless!
Old 02-02-15, 12:44 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never actually fallen, but pulled into the driveway once after a very hard training session and unclipped one foot, but forgot to lean the correct way. I started hopping twords the grass still clipped in with one foot. I shook the bike so hard my other foot came out just before I fell.

In the melee I jabbed the big ring into my other leg several times and was bleeding like a stuck greasy pig.

All good stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.