Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Achilles Injuries

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Achilles Injuries

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-15, 11:32 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Achilles Injuries

My achilles decided yesterday that walking up stairs was a bad idea. Nothing in particular brought it on, I hadn't been doing anything strenuous on the day in question, I'd actually been sitting down all morning, and it just started aching. I'm walking a lot better now, and stairs aren't a problem, but this evening I wasn't able to jog on it at all, in rugby boots or in runners.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be? nyone have anything similar happen to them? Can/should I still ride? It feels like the impact of foot-planting when running is the problem there, rather than motion.
Old 03-13-15, 06:22 AM
happyscientist

Bikes: C'Dale Synapse, Surly Disc Trucker, Giant Trance, Orbea Avant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take it easy. No easier than that. Seriously. AT injuries take forever to heal. A few years ago, I tore mine. I had taken a couple months off of running so I could dedicate myself to training on the bike. Then, when the racing season was over, I went back to running. Because I still had plenty of cardio fitness but my legs couldn't handle the impact anymore, I tore an AT. I tried resting it, but I wasn't resting it long enough, and retore it. Finally, I went to a doctor, who got me in the an orthopedist specializing in sports medicine, who sent me to a physical therapist who runs. I was allowed to bike and swim while I was in PT, but running was forbidden.

It took a year and a half for me to completely heal. If I had properly treated it as soon as it happened, it wouldn't have taken nearly as long.
Old 03-13-15, 07:37 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Absolutely ... take it easy. I tore both my achilles tendons (minor tears) on a long hilly ride, and it took a long, long time before I healed. Even now, years later, my achilles tendons are weak and play up.

Prior to this ...

1. Had you been doing a lot of climbing?

2. Have you had your bicycle set up for you?

And yes, you might want to seek professional help.
Old 03-13-15, 08:19 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Any thoughts on what the problem could be? nyone have anything similar happen to them? Can/should I still ride? It feels like the impact of foot-planting when running is the problem there, rather than motion.
My cause was aggressive hill running, though I weakened the area by sitting with heels on a desk. It's a nightmare of an injury taking months and months to heal.

If you want it to heal correctly, recover full strength, do eccentric heel drops multiple times a day. Read up on them and you will understand why you need to do this exercise. To get rid of the daily symptoms I wear a night split; silly thing keeps the muscle in a stretch while you sleep - it's amazingly effective. Also, stay away from zero or minimalist shoe drop for a while, you need some heel to rest the muscle. Also, deep muscle massage will loosen things up, as will a foam roller or 'stick'.

I am back to riding full strength but running is about 30%, and that's after months of rest. If I had taken it more seriously the very first month I think I would be in much better shape right now.

So, the thought I am trying to communicate is take it damn seriously right from the start, this is one of those injuries that can mess with you for a long time.
Old 03-13-15, 09:16 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
OP, have you been taking a course of a quinolone type antibiotic any time in the last few months? They weaken tendons and have been implicated in Achilles damage.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-13-15, 09:21 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
My achilles decided yesterday that walking up stairs was a bad idea. Nothing in particular brought it on, I hadn't been doing anything strenuous on the day in question, I'd actually been sitting down all morning, and it just started aching. I'm walking a lot better now, and stairs aren't a problem, but this evening I wasn't able to jog on it at all, in rugby boots or in runners.

See an orthopedist immediately at a sports medicine clinic.

My wife tore her Achilles tendon kick biking, and it probably got worse in the time we took to decide seeing a doctor was a good idea. It's still healing 9 months later.
Old 03-13-15, 09:24 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Absolutely ... take it easy. I tore both my achilles tendons (minor tears) on a long hilly ride, and it took a long, long time before I healed. Even now, years later, my achilles tendons are weak and play up.

Prior to this ...

1. Had you been doing a lot of climbing?

2. Have you had your bicycle set up for you?

And yes, you might want to seek professional help.
1. Haven't been doing too much climbing. Or running. The surprising thing is I hadn't been having a very active week at all.
2. Never had a pro fit done or anything. I've always set up my own bike according to what feels comfortable. Depending on how rehab from this goes, I may look into getting a fit done.

My brother's an orthopod and has offered to help, but he lives on a different continent, so can't get too hands on. I've seen a chiropractor before who helps out our rugby team and I'll try to get an appointment with him this week some time.