Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Novara Buzz - thoughts or feedback?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 10:31 AM
BadgerOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

2015 Novara Buzz. Since it comes from REI I assume any level of negotiation or possible discount is forfeited. Does $649 seem like a fair price for the kit?

2015 Novara Buzz

I currently have a Schwinn World Avenue One on which I once commuted, but whose rigid aluminum fork is beating the crap out of my wrists. The brakes are bad in good weather and dangerous in bad. Overall it's just tired and time to replace it. I could upgrade, but it would still beat me up.

It will be used as an urban and city bike, with occasional commuting. I live where there are lot of steep hills and broken pavement, hence my desire for a steel frame and fork and I can't use a single speed. I'm after flat bars as well. Looks like the Buzz probably uses straight gauge chromoly for the frame.

Any thoughts, feedback, or competitors I should look at? Thanks in advance....
Old 03-16-15, 02:21 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 623 Posts
This could get confusing!
Old 03-16-15, 02:58 PM
BadgerOne

Provide quality feedback on my inquiry and I will relinquish your inadvertently hijacked user name...
Old 03-16-15, 04:55 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BadgerOne
2015 Novara Buzz. Since it comes from REI I assume any level of negotiation or possible discount is forfeited. Does $649 seem like a fair price for the kit?
You do know that if you're an REI member,in the Spring you'll get a 20% off coupon that can be used for Novara bikes? If a member you can also apply your dividend.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-16-15, 07:10 PM
BadgerOne

Interesting....I'm a member and was just in, and was told I'd be getting a 20% off coupon soon but that it didn't apply to bikes.
Old 03-16-15, 08:13 PM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The derailleurs are Atlus, which is Shimano's lowest component group in the MTB range and a surprising choice for a bike in this price bracket. I suspect a lot of the cost is being funnled into the disc brakes.

It's really a mish-mash of components. Shimano derailleurs, Microshift shifters, SRAM crankset. I'm sure it's a nice bike if your priorities line up with where the cash is going in the components.
Old 03-16-15, 08:27 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Interesting....I'm a member and was just in, and was told I'd be getting a 20% off coupon soon but that it didn't apply to bikes.
Says on the site: "REI Members get back an estimated $64.90 on this item as part of their annual member refund."
Old 03-16-15, 10:55 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I've become a Novara fan. I've put between 4-5000 miles on a Novara Forza. It is a step down from the Big Buzz. I bought it almost two years ago for $480 with the 20% discount. I also bought a used 2012 Novara Safari about 6 months ago and took it on a solo cycling trek from the Bay Area back home to the 310. I only had the bike for three weeks, got it tuned at LBS, and went trekking! It ran flawlessly. Funky bike, but really cool, imho.

Last edited by raceboy; 03-17-15 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-17-15, 12:10 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
You should double check this. My recollection is that the 20% off doesn't apply to bikes EXCEPT the Novara and perhaps one other brand. I remember that last year I seriously was considering a Novara because of the 20% off. Perhaps they are changing the policy but I'd check.

BTW...Badger1 joined BF ten years before you did so who hijacked who's name?
Old 03-17-15, 12:12 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5935 Post(s)
Liked 3,628 Times in 2,151 Posts
I'm just glad that BadgerTwo hasn't shown up to this discussion yet.
Old 03-17-15, 04:16 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Reading comprehension should also be required............ before 2 gets here!
Old 03-18-15, 08:37 AM
BadgerOne

Wow, tough crowd in here. Of course, I do have a little pang of guilt for not checking for the numerically-appended version of the user name and instead going right to the verbose version under the assumption that surely, this must be unique...but what can I say.

As far as the Buzz, I do agree that the group mix is a bit weird on it. The hydros on a bike like that seems like a solution to a problem that didn't exist, considering the previous version had mechanical discs. And the parts are mostly cheap.

Think I'll wait for the REI coupon. At $650, the value is a bit questionable. If the coupon works for Novara bikes, I'll bite for the $520.
Old 03-18-15, 09:08 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 623 Posts
Wow, tough crowd in here. Of course, I do have a little pang of guilt for not checking for the numerically-appended version of the user name and instead going right to the verbose version under the assumption that surely, this must be unique...but what can I say.

As far as the Buzz, I do agree that the group mix is a bit weird on it. The hydros on a bike like that seems like a solution to a problem that didn't exist, considering the previous version had mechanical discs. And the parts are mostly cheap.

Think I'll wait for the REI coupon. At $650, the value is a bit questionable. If the coupon works for Novara bikes, I'll bite for the $520.
Hmmm ... well, I've had nothing to say about the Novara simply because I know absolutely nothing about them.
Perhaps, though, you might change your user name? That would seem to me a nice gesture -- and good form, really.
Cheers.
Old 03-18-15, 09:30 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 1,030 Times in 498 Posts
While there are many other bikes in that price range, there are very few that are steel, rigid, and wtih mountain-bike geometry.

If thats what you want, this will work. I almost bought one but got a Marin Muirwoods instead. Theyre about the same price range
Old 03-18-15, 05:18 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the coupon works for Novara bikes, I'll bite for the $520.
The coupon works for Novara bikes. I believe it also used to work for K2,but they changed it.

I own/have owned 8 Novaras. Like any other brand,they have their strengths and weaknesses. Quality wise they're pretty much on par with any of the 'brand names'. One other thing;you have a year to return them if you're not satisfied.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-23-15, 08:50 AM
DaleW
Happy Rider

Bikes: Hybridized mountain bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look at the Kona Dew line and Jamis Coda models too.
Old 03-24-15, 07:05 PM
teicher

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaleW
Look at the Kona Dew line and Jamis Coda models too.
This advice is spot on, I think either of them would be a better option than the Novara Buzz (at full price).
Old 03-27-15, 05:17 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
You should double check this. My recollection is that the 20% off doesn't apply to bikes EXCEPT the Novara and perhaps one other brand. I remember that last year I seriously was considering a Novara because of the 20% off. Perhaps they are changing the policy but I'd check.
Just got my dividend notice and coupon today. The coupon now works for Novara and Diamondback.

Old 03-27-15, 05:32 PM
BadgerOne

Dew = no. I'm done with aluminum as I pointed out in my original post, my carcass is getting too old to deal with the ride over the terrible tarmac in my area. It's gotta be steel.

Coda = like them a lot, always have, but want discs or at least disc provisions.

Hence my gravitation towards the Buzz, there aren't many out there like it for a reasonable price.

Good to know on the REI coupon. That would take my cost down to $520 which I think is fair. Now I just have to wait for my coupon to show up in the mail.