Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Mavic Cosmic Hubs Service Question (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1200837)

m_sasso 05-09-20 02:29 PM

Mavic Cosmic Hubs Service Question

Any assistance with these would be greatly appreciated.

Before I do any cosmetic damage, anyone care to let me know how to go about servicing these hubs. I have searched for online documentation and come up empty handed.

I am good with servicing the hub except knowing how to remove the bearing covers, the silver Aluminum caps, how do they come off on these hubs.

Both sides of the hub appear the same, not sure if the silver covers unscrew, they pry straight off separating at the seam or there is another approach to removing the covers. Nothing to really grip on to in the way of a tool face.

Other Mavic hubs I viewed in the past similar to these had pin tool holes and appeared as though they unscrewed however these do not.

Thanks for your help in advance.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d78cf49ea.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f55435ec2.jpeg

cpach 05-09-20 04:55 PM

Finding Mavic technical documentation sucks. I'd tell you to contact them, and you may as well try, but the company is currently kinda bankrupt so you might not get a reply. I'd bet you though that it's such a slight press fit. The worst possible case is I've encountered some wheels (some older Zipps) where you literally had to detention the wheel to remove bearing shields, which is friggin ridiculous. I'd probably try to gently pry the cover off.

m_sasso 05-10-20 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by cpach (Post 21465355)
Finding Mavic technical documentation sucks. I'd tell you to contact them, and you may as well try, but the company is currently kinda bankrupt so you might not get a reply. I'd bet you though that it's such a slight press fit. The worst possible case is I've encountered some wheels (some older Zipps) where you literally had to detention the wheel to remove bearing shields, which is friggin ridiculous. I'd probably try to gently pry the cover off.

Got your reply, thanks for the response. Well you were correct, I had posted in a couple of different forums seeking assistance and was not getting any knowledgable response. Don't think they made a lot of these wheels with these particular bearing caps, most Cosmic's came with the black plastic bearing covers. Anyway tried twisting the covers, one side spun however didn't unscrew so pulled out a small flat bladed screw driver and pushed and pried staying with in the limits of doing any cosmetic damage. Detected a bit of separation at the cap/hub seam and eventually the cap popped off. Caps have an inner lip that is just a pressed/snap fit in a grove on the hub outer lip.

Yes, Mavic online documentation is very sparse and I had known about their recent bankruptcy claim and this is somewhat what motivated me to sort these out before they went completely offline.

Thanks again for the reply, take care!

kcblair 05-10-20 08:20 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8d751acc37.jpg
will this help. I have tubular wheels. Bottom page might be your front hub. If like mine, spokes need to come out, I think. My bearings are fine for now. If it comes to removing spokes, off to my LBS. to access spoke nipples , I have to remove the friggin tubular.good luck. If your bearings are fine, just ride.KB

Andrew R Stewart 05-10-20 10:21 AM

IIRC Mavic went to a single use axle cone (actually a sleeve that the bearing ID fit on) in the mid 1990s. When a readjustment or a bearing replacement is done this "cone/sleeve" needs to be replaced. The cone/sleeve is deformed (like a rivet) on it's installation. Hence the single use. I always felt this was a stupid design, a cost savings Mavic would say. I'll speculate that some riders were over tightening the pin holed preload ring, as found on the older hub designs, so Mavic came up with a design that eliminated hone adjustment. Andy

kcblair 05-10-20 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart (Post 21466485)
IIRC Mavic went to a single use axle cone (actually a sleeve that the bearing ID fit on) in the mid 1990s. When a readjustment or a bearing replacement is done this "cone/sleeve" needs to be replaced. The cone/sleeve is deformed (like a rivet) on it's installation. Hence the single use. I always felt this was a stupid design, a cost savings Mavic would say. I'll speculate that some riders were over tightening the pin holed preload ring, as found on the older hub designs, so Mavic came up with a design that eliminated hone adjustment. Andy

Hello Andrew, does this apply to my front hub, as shown in the diagram above ? I had no problem , rebuilding the rear . Thanks, KB

davidad 05-10-20 11:10 AM

https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/te...l-2015_2_1.pdf

cpach 05-10-20 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by m_sasso (Post 21465958)
Got your reply, thanks for the response. Well you were correct, I had posted in a couple of different forums seeking assistance and was not getting any knowledgable response. Don't think they made a lot of these wheels with these particular bearing caps, most Cosmic's came with the black plastic bearing covers. Anyway tried twisting the covers, one side spun however didn't unscrew so pulled out a small flat bladed screw driver and pushed and pried staying with in the limits of doing any cosmetic damage. Detected a bit of separation at the cap/hub seam and eventually the cap popped off. Caps have an inner lip that is just a pressed/snap fit in a grove on the hub outer lip.

Yes, Mavic online documentation is very sparse and I had known about their recent bankruptcy claim and this is somewhat what motivated me to sort these out before they went completely offline.

Thanks again for the reply, take care!

Sweet, glad that worked out. Classic wheels to be sure.

Andrew R Stewart 05-10-20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by kcblair (Post 21466513)
Hello Andrew, does this apply to my front hub, as shown in the diagram above ? I had no problem , rebuilding the rear . Thanks, KB

I don't know. Does the hub have the pin holed preload adjuster, or not? Andy

kcblair 05-10-20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart (Post 21466843)
I don't know. Does the hub have the pin holed preload adjuster, or not? Andy

nope, I can adjust the preload.

Andrew R Stewart 05-10-20 05:36 PM

Nope to which question? I believe you have the older pin holed preload adjusting version but your reply is vague. Andy

kcblair 05-10-20 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart (Post 21467158)
Nope to which question? I believe you have the older pin holed preload adjusting version but your reply is vague. Andy

Not quite sure what the pin holed preload is, but I can adjust the preload, according to the instruction booklet. KB