View Single Post
Old 01-26-13, 07:55 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 639 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Anyone who has scoured their local Craigslist and garage sales lately has to have noticed that there are far fewer
good C&V bikes to be had than there was just a few years ago.
2012 was my best year for finding bikes by far.

Some notable finds in 2012 (all at attractive prices) include a Masi, an Eddy Merckx, a Tommasini, a Pinarello, a Paramount Series 7, a 1986 Schwinn Peloton, a Batavus Professional, Schwinn Cimmaron LE, Bianchi Limited, a pair of 1984 Trek 620s, a nice Burley tandem, and many more. I really don't recall a year half this good.

My favorite C/L pickup ad this year was four words long (OK, five if you include the price): "race bike bad paint $50." It lasted two days (I was out of town, or I would have grabbed it immediately).

Fortunately, buyers still have no imagination. If the brand name and size is not listed, or its a more obscure brand, they tend to last.

+1 There really aren't many vintage bikes for sale around here. There never have been, so that's not something new.

+1 Thrift store finds have pretty much dried up. I did find three this year, but that's in a LOT of visits to thrift stores.

One thing I have learned is you have to keep changing up where and how you look. So if I was still using the methods I used five years ago, I would not be finding anything.

In the years to come, I probably will be looking back at 2012 wishing for another year that good.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-27-13 at 09:40 AM.