terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked 3,762 Times in 1,875 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
My VO2 max is 53. I'm 68 and weigh 140lbs/63.5kg. As has been stated above while I have a hard time generating a high w/kg my weight to power ratio is good.
The VO2 number is based on data from rides on Garmin Connect. No lab testing so it is just a number based on collected numbers.
While Garmin says it is a great number I much prefer real world testing...my finishes in area races/events, no prisoner group training rides, etc.
I use all the numbers to monitor my training, rest/recovery periods, etc.
I think you meant to write:

> while I have a hard time generating a high w/kg watts my weight to power ratio is good

FYI, Garmin Connect currently reports my VO2max at 57, while HRV4Training reports 59 (I'm 3 kg lighter, which helps). Pretty decent match of the two, but the Garmin one jumps around from day to day, while the HRV4Training one seems more consistent. The HRV4Training number is more complimentary, so it has that going for it

But yeah, they're not giving trophies for VO2max. The real measure is how you perform on the road. Was it Andy Coggan who said, "The best measure of performance ability is performance itself."?

I think these estimated VO2max trackers are decent fitness monitors, even if the absolute values are questionable. Going up is good, staying the same is okay, going down is not so good.

Last edited by terrymorse; 11-08-23 at 10:39 AM.
Likes For terrymorse: