View Single Post
Old 05-22-22, 08:08 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+10 to the above. While someone who restores bikes may recognize the value, they may also put a HIGHER value on the bike than others. You may actually get MORE from that restorer, than anyone else.

A lot of the bikes I buy have been for sale for weeks or even a month or more. Had I not come along, the bike may well have been donated.

Over the years, I have sold probably close to 100 bikes to just one single collector, lots of high end stuff. They get a great deal, and they appreciate the good stuff. Finding other local buyers can be difficult. I have no problem selling to someone who wants to restore, collect, ride, resell, or whatever. I do not consider one buyer to be more virtuous than another. And when selling a top of the line vintage bicycle, more than likely, it WILL go to a knowledgeable collector, who may know more than me. There is no way joe average rider is going to pay $500 for what they consider to be an old, obsolete, down tube shifter bike.

As far as making a lot of $$$ flipping stuff, as someone who resells a lot of stuff, and has been doing it for over 22 years now, I can only say my LOWEST margins are on bicycles. Books enjoy the BEST margins. Can take a while, but one book bought for $1 can sell for $50, $100, or even more. 50X to 100X is typical for vintage books. Meanwhile, doubling my money on a bicycle can be a lot more work, there are often surprises that reduce or eliminate the profit entirely. Then add the costs of bicycles: storage, tools, and supplies, and it's closer to break even. At least now, all the tools have been paid for.

If someone asked for my advice on what items to resell for a profit, I would discourage bikes and encourage books. In the bicycle arena, I have done better on vintage JERSEYS than I have done on vintage BICYCLES.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-22-22 at 08:35 AM.
Likes For wrk101: