Old 09-25-21, 06:23 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Interesting! I'd never seen that app before, thanks for the info! I just spent ages trawling their website. Always learning.

So you run this app on your phone, rather than recording the ride via Strava itself?

Their website says it's "free" but offers in-app purchases. Can you access most of the features via the free version or do you have to pay at some point?

Does having your powermeter connected to your phone negatively impact battery life much?
i don't remember if i like their website or not. i will say that they have some very good tech support. for example, when i started as a paying customer i was on an iphone but later switched to a samsung, this was around memorial day. when the year ended and it being a subscription i was automatically billed as expected but it somehow remained with my iphone that i was no longer using. this happened on memorial day weekend. a few emails on saturday and sunday and they had me up and running again on my samsung, they were awesome in this respect.

in any case, i waited to respond because although i know it does not use much in the way of battery i just could not recall exactly so i completed a long ride (for me) and the results are in the image below. i don't monitor while i ride, the phone is in my jersey pocket. if i did monitor i am sure it would not last as long.

regarding the free version, that is what i used for a couple of years prior, it only recorded speed, distance, and location (but at the time that was all i cared about). this was supported via ads that at the time and they were very small at the top or bottom, can't recall. the paid version allows me to ride with sensors which is what i really wanted. i only have cadence and heart rate and both operate over bluetooth. a power meter would not consume much in the way of additional power since all sensors are transmitters and the phone only transmits during the pairing period. also i upload rides to strava as my repository. the app will track equipment but since i only have one bike i don't use that facility. there are other features that i just don't use but i suspect that is true of most of these apps or bike computers.

i do recall even when using the free version when i did have it mounted on my handle bars that i could watch my former self if i picked and rode a saved route. that was a pretty neat feature i thought, it allowed me to beat my former self or watch my present self crash and burn. it probably still has that feature but since it sin my pocket i dont really know for sure.

-scott

i cropped out the map but normally there is one visible.

Likes For spelger: