terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I think that all the pro teams use wind tunnels, and that they ride in teams. They ride in teams. They ride in teams. Their set up is set up to facilitate riding in teams. They also ride in break always about, or less than 5% of the time. I always, that is to say, always, ride on my own in a break away on a time trial always always always. But the pros get wheeled out all the time, though the ride in a very different way to me and almost all the amateurs I see.
The repeated notion that pros don't care about wind drag in a road race, because they're comfortably tucked into the peloton is, of course, ridiculous.

In a road race, every rider spends considerable time with his nose in the wind, when they must substantially increase power output to maintain speed.

To name a few: working up the outside of the peloton to the front, taking their turn at the front, breakaways, covering breakaways, sprints, sprint lead outs, setting a high pace at the front to prevent breakaways, chasing to catch back onto the peloton after natural break/bike swap/picking up bottles at team car.

That is why road racing bikes are set up to make them as efficient as possible in a road race.

That is why pros prefer an aggressive bar drop, which enables a reduced drag upper body position when hands are on the hoods and forearms are horizontal.

That is why a road racing bike has features to reduce aero drag (frame shape, wheels, handlebars, internal cable routing).

That is why pros wear skin suits on fast road stages.

That is why pros wear aero socks and aero gloves.

Et cetera.

Likes For terrymorse: