Old 09-23-21, 02:12 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I'm not a fan of overly powerful lights anymore. Really too much blinding going on out there. Riders really have no concept of where they are pointing their lights and there's a reason car lights are aimed.

I run the NightRider Lumina 1800 dual currently. It has the following modes:
Low - 6:00h at 350 Lumens
Med - 3:00h at 700 Lumens
High - 1:30h at 1500 Lumens
Boost - 0:45h at 1800 Lumens
Pulse Flash - 10:00h at 1500 Lumens
Fast Flash - 16:30h at 1500 Lumens
Walk Mode - 20:00h at 100 Lumens

Of these I use the pulse flash at twilight. The I switch to the low mode (350 lumen). Pitch black riding we do at night on the path system here I will up it to Medium (700 lumen). I carry a backup light that is 650 or 800 lumen max depending on which one I grab. When descending on going high speed I hit the boost at 1800 lumen. Way more than enough to ride at 30+ mph in complete darkness.

I despise all of the riders riding around with the Garmin Varia lights that flash because these riders have no idea what they are doing so the lights are blinding in mid daylight. It's always on the path as well. "It's just us cyclists...we see you. You don't need a flashy during the day on the path" ....but I learned long ago you never win when arguing against a perceived safety issue. People just throw common sense out the door.
The Varia has a “night” flashing mode that isn’t as bright and the light intensity slowly gets brighter and dimmer. The “day” strobe is def dazzling when used at night.
With that being said….if drivers don’t stare at the light they’ll be fine. No different than the idiots who stare at LED headlights and complain about them rather than just look where they’re driving.