View Single Post
Old 09-26-22, 08:59 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
any chance this thread can get back to the matter at hand? i'm going to loose my storage space in the spring and i'm pondering how to sell some of my heard, so i'm really interested in where to list some bikes and parts...
Depends on the goal. If the goal is to clear the space, I'd donate to a co op. If the goal is to maximize return, then I'd start listing on ebay. Ignore asking prices. Instead, focus on prices on items that have actually SOLD. If you are new, discount it some from there. And be prepared for ebay to hold your funds for a while, which they do for any new or infrequent sellers. Want to be empty by Spring? Start listing stuff NOW.

Apply 80/20 rule to the stash. 80% of the dollars are in 20% of the pile. Start with that pile. I've even done the 80/20 sort twice. Separate the pile into the 20% with the most potential. Then take that pile, and separate it again, into the 20% of that pile that has the most potential. All of a sudden, you are just looking at 5% of the pile, which is a lot easier to deal with. Polish off that 5% cut, and then go back to that 20% pile, and grab another 5%. Do that a couple of times, and you will likely be donating the rest of it.

If there is a bicycle swap in your area, take a lot there. Be prepared to sell under market.

Also consider ease of packing. Make it easy on YOU. Its that old saying: "start small, win big. Start big, lose big."

Last edited by wrk101; 09-26-22 at 09:02 PM.