View Single Post
Old 09-27-22, 08:29 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
if you sell on ebay, does ebay allow the seller to show a link to your own website? in other words, if i wanted to set up an online store (not through ebay) to sell bikes and parts, is there a way to display a business website that folks can navigate to? wondering if i can list a few token things on ebay but have a way for buyers to find my own seller website...
No links ever. You need to be much more discrete. eBay has no interest in marketing for other sites, unless you want to pay for ads on their site. Two ways people promote sales outside of ebay: 1. Insert a flyer into every sale package. "Thank you for your order. To see even more great items, visit my site at xyzzy.... and use this code for $5 off." 2. Speak in code on your listing. "You can see even more of my items on that popular social media site with the same user name."

Be prepared if you are caught you will get a LIFETIME ban from ebay. No hearing, no phone call, no debate. Banned. Ebay wields a big stick and has no problem banning sellers for life. Having sold on ebay for almost 23 years now, it is NOT worth the risk to me. And I sell such a wide variety of stuff: clothing, books, odd ball collectibles, and bike stuff. No single web site would work for me. And eBay gives me global exposure = higher prices. Google lifetime ban ebay, watch some of the YouTube videos. Big sellers, hundreds of thousands of dollars per year or more, have been banned by ebay, destroying their business.

Sell stuff where the fees are worth it. Buy a book for $1, sell for $50, pay $10 in fees, make $39 in profit on a $1 investment. Repeat. This is what I gladly pay ebay for. Most of my stuff, if I sold locally, I'd break even on that $1, or maybe sell for $5 MAX. So that is a $4 profit. Lets see, would I rather make $39 or $4?

I do not get this kind of multiplier on bike stuff!
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Likes For wrk101: