View Single Post
Old 06-26-22, 04:35 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
1. Most posters have no interest in selling on ebay. If they do, that opens up higher values.

2. I have access to Terapeak, which gives a full year of eBay. sales history. That $1825 sale is an outlier. Next highest was $865, then $575. That seller also sold a set of Dura Ace 7400 brake levers for $200. Meanwhile, recent sales are about $60.....

3. If I were KING, I'd change the appraisal forum name to value OPINIONS. Thats all it is, and my figures are my opinion as well. Want an appraisal? Step 1, find a vintage bike appraiser. Step 2, pay them $50 to $100 for a real appraisal. What people get here are not appraisals, they are just opinions.

4. As far as sales, I've sold over 1,000 bicycles, most locally, some ebay. I always get more $$ on ebay. Depending on the bike, I can get 2X to 3X on eBay. Its a trade off between convenience and $$. eBay sales require sellers to pack and ship, pay about 20% in fees, and then you WILL get a 1099 the following January reporting your gross proceeds to the IRS. Still despite those factors, I end up with more on eBay. And in my case, the local market is quite poor. The good news is I can find valuable stuff at attractive prices locally. The bad news I cannot resell them locally. I just bought a 1989 Stumpjumper, in outstanding condition. It had been for sale locally for over FOUR months. I've been avoiding it, but I finally succumbed. I would not post the price here as most would not believe it. I paid full asking price by the way....

4. FWIW, a very similar 1989 Stumpy just sold on ebay for $1200. Does anyone think it is worth that much?

5. The last thing you don't see on ebay is time. How long was the item for sale? Was it days, weeks, months or even years?

As found, directly from my car.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-26-22 at 04:40 PM.