View Single Post
Old 07-19-20, 12:43 AM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
The one thing I wish I'd thought of before buying the 2020 Sutra, is to ask the shop it they would substitute a different color of Brooks B17. The honey colored one really does stand out when nothing else on the bicycle matches it.
I could give half a crap about aesthetics. As long as it's functional I don't care how it looks.

What I did have the shop substitute was to Marathon w/Greenguard tires, as they roll much better on packed (asphalt, etc) pavement than the Mondials, yet they still work well on gravel roads.
I'll ride the Mondials until they wear out and then get durable all-road tubeless tires.

The rack that the Sutra comes with does not accommodate a basket being lashed to the top of it. I bought an aftermarket rack by Salsa, Wanderlust HD (the chromoly one). It has a much wider top and - importantly for a basket - a flat top.
With ingenuity a basket will fasten to any rack. All it takes is bungees and/or screws.

The sizing of the 2020 models didn't comport with the company's own sizing chart. I am 5'6" with 29.5" inseam and the 46cm size is what I settled on, even though the chart suggested the 48cm or 50cm. This might be something to prepare yourself for.
Yeah, Kona's sizing is pretty weird/atypical. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam. Their chart showed either a 52 or 54 would work and my LBS recommended a 52 would probably fit a little better. Hopefully it will.

Last edited by AlanK; 10-24-20 at 02:53 PM.