View Single Post
Old 04-13-23, 03:36 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
At 74 I am just now getting back into riding after a couple of years away due to medical issues. I need to be particularly careful about falling as I am on serious blood thinners for a good while. When I last did a lot of biking it was on a Trek Marlin 7 MTB, though I had stopped riding off road and was using it mostly on MUP's with pavement or concrete surfaces. I am enjoying the Marlin again, doing just under 100 miles a week, but at a very slow pace. As I get conditioned, I am eager to increase my speed but not to the point of going back on a true road bike. I am not talking about racing or even setting personal goals on Strava, just the fun and enjoyment of a little speed and more nimble handling. I am looking at fitness hybrid bikes, but it occurs to me that among the other attributes of a MTB, they are very stable, and falls are less likely. But I could be wrong about that. I would appreciate any comments on how much less stable a hybrid, say like the Trek FX, would be. I took a Giant hybrid for a short test ride at the LBS and it seemed very stable, but it wasn't much of a test.
After a couple crashes that exacerbated rotator cuff injuries, I swapped a Salsa steel fork onto my Trek Marlin 6 and put on some Marathon touring tires to make it my hybrid.
Heavy 35+ lbs but stable and the 47-622 tires roll well but are heavy.
I am more concerned with a 3-5 hour solo fitness workout rather than speed or group rides.
If you are primarily on flat or rolling terrain, I would not sweat the weight of the bike.
Just my 2 cents if you are exploring just keeping the Marlin.