View Single Post
Old 12-20-20, 03:46 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Pandemic Bike Buying: 1985 Miyata 1000

My new Miyata 1000! I already have a 1000 LT, but I saw this one come up at a price that was too good to resist. This will be my 6th Miyata 1000.

My first Miyata 1000 was a 1985, but after an amateur mistake, I realized that the top tube and downtube were bent, so the frame was rendered useless and I salvaged the parts. Fast forward three years and 5 Miyata 1000s later, I ended up with the same bike, but in much better condition. I'm not sure what to do with this one. I know that they are a hot commodity again thanks to the pandemic bike boom and everyone wanting to tour again. I sold three of them this past summer at above asking price and I feel like that will continue into Spring/Summer of 2021. Nonetheless, I'll just cherish it and fix it up in the meantime.

I did a comparison of the 1982 Miyata 1000 (when I had it) Vs my 1000 LT- this was a personal journal, and I concluded that they both had their own characteristics thanks to geometry and tubing. I feel like I can now make a comparison with the 1985 and 1991 at a future date and I may publish my experiences if anyone is interested in that.

Some minor notes on the bike itself- the seatpost is a cheap and rusted one that was inserted- the previous owner received the bike without a seatpost and decided to slap some random one on. Everything else on the bike is stock. Based on the wear and tear of this bike, I'm certain it has seen an extensive life touring at some point. I have no idea what these pedals are, but they're interesting. I won't make any crazy modifications to this one, I think I will keep it stock (with the exception of the seatpost) and just get a nice set of tires. Of course I will be restoring it to its former glory by giving it a deep clean, inside and out.

Likes For BikeWonder: