View Single Post
Old 02-28-18, 11:47 AM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
Cargo vans stick out in neighborhoods, especially the tall roof models now available. A beautiful conversion van would be noticed but people probably wouldn't wonder if it were parked in their neighborhood by thieves stealing things from houses. Passenger vans with blacked out windows would work better.

As I mentioned, I painted the glass on almost all of the windows behind the front seats. Only the side door window wasn't painted, but I put a custom fit plank in it at night. It fit very tightly and was painted black.
Hmm. Where I live (pacific northwest) cargo vans are pretty ubiquitous and no one seems to pay much attention to them. When I'm out and out about I see them all over the place, and since most of them are white they aren't distinct or conspicuous. [Funny how most people are less suspicious of white things.]

A converted minivan is more obvious. I see them regularly as well, and it's usually obvious someone is living in it because of the curtains, etc. It sounds like your situation was more stealthy.

To be clear, I'm not talking about a full-size cargo van, but something more compact like old Chevy Astro or Ford Transit Connect. Regardless of the vehicle, you just have to be smart about parking, and as I wrote don't leave it parked in one area too long otherwise people will figure out what you're doing.