Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Perspire on the Empire: A weeklong tour in NY State

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Perspire on the Empire: A weeklong tour in NY State

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-24, 04:16 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Liked 541 Times in 165 Posts
Thanks for the memories. Hot times, smooth trip, appreciate the vicarious thrill.
Likes For VRJAKE:
Old 08-02-24, 07:44 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Liked 3,806 Times in 1,202 Posts
Thanks guys for the trip report and all of the photos from a part of the world I've never seen.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 08-02-24, 09:04 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Liked 4,010 Times in 1,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I’m glad you guys are getting to do this ride. When you are seniors (old), it will not be advisable to ride in such heat and humidity.
Just a side note, as I got home rather late driving 7 hours back to DC/NoVA.
I turned 73 last month and this is the third week long tour I’ve had this year, all in the 300 mile range.
Some of us seniors still manage.
Old 08-02-24, 09:24 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Liked 4,227 Times in 716 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to share your heat stressed adventure with us. I'm totally envious.
Likes For northbend:
Old 08-03-24, 10:08 AM
rccardr 

Day Five: A ride in the park
….and that’s pretty much what the last day was like. 100% paved, 30 miles or so into downtown Albany through a parklike setting. Started out nice and cool but as the morning wore on the heat and humidity returned. By the time we took a break at mile 15, we were both pretty drippy, although I rode behind Neal most of the way to avoid showering him with my perspiration.

After 285 miles, the last day was tough. Legs are sore, all of your clothing is damp and grimy & you miss your family and your own bed. The phrase “don’t want this to be over; please let it end soon” kept running through my head. Feels weird not to be on a bike today heading for far horizons. Anyway, on to the final day’s pictures:

Day Five Grand Depart, from Schenectady’s finest Marriott

The setting just kept us smiling

You can see some of the haze from a combination of humidity and smoke from far off fires

The halfway resting spot

Pretty cool series of short tunnels as we rode through the park along the Mohawk

Not far from the end of the line

Terminus

Two smelly, bristly, happy travelers

Load ‘em up, change clothes, drive back south
Old 08-03-24, 10:14 AM
nlerner

Liked 7,751 Times in 2,879 Posts
Thanks much to Doc for organizing this ride and inviting me to take part. I highly recommend this route if you’re interested in touring and want to try it out under near-optimal conditions. Easy to catch a train or bus to either end (Buffalo or Albany), ride part or the whole way, and take the Amtrak back. Plenty of towns and inexpensive motels along the way, so easy to do 30-40 mile days and then hang out at the hotel pool and/or bar. Or do 60-80 mile days and kick back at the pool/bar. Doc and I agreed that it would not have been a major strain to do 90 miles from Little Falls to Albany on our last day and then drive home the next morning rather than 60 then 30 miles over two days as we did. It’s a really flat route!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-03-24, 12:27 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 85 Ironman, 2011 Richard Sachs

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,220 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Just a side note, as I got home rather late driving 7 hours back to DC/NoVA.
I turned 73 last month and this is the third week long tour I’ve had this year, all in the 300 mile range.
Some of us seniors still manage.
ya. I was only kidding. Being only 92% of your age but catching up, I always smile when folks tell me to be careful, stay hydrated, take it easy, etc. I shoulda put an emoji up there.
Old 08-03-24, 01:36 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Liked 1,712 Times in 816 Posts
Adding the the chorus of Thanks! for this thread! My main riding pal and I have talked about doing this route for a while now, and there really isn't much excuse not to as we're only a bit more than an hour's drive to Albany. All about making the time.....!
Old 08-03-24, 01:51 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 4,328 Times in 2,386 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner

Snip . . .
The rain did not manage to clean the Mercian off very much:

nlerner I'm curious about the double bag set up; Carradice on the rear but what do you have up front? How many total liters capacity? I like the look of a front bag and a large rear saddle bag but when it comes to outfitting my bikes I end up opting for a rack and two smallish bags (yes you pay a weight penalty and definitely lacks the style points this set up has).
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-03-24, 02:26 PM
nlerner

Liked 7,751 Times in 2,879 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
nlerner I'm curious about the double bag set up; Carradice on the rear but what do you have up front? How many total liters capacity? I like the look of a front bag and a large rear saddle bag but when it comes to outfitting my bikes I end up opting for a rack and two smallish bags (yes you pay a weight penalty and definitely lacks the style points this set up has).
Front bag is made by Gramm in Berlin with 7.5 liter capacity and fits really well on that Nitto front rack. Rear is a Carradice Pendle, which the internet says is 11L capacity. Last tour I used two saddlebags and a front bag and definitely brought more stuff than this trip! So I like the idea of smaller capacity forcing me to pack economically. Plus both front and rear bags had capacity to strap things to them, which I did a few times with the front bag.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-04-24, 05:46 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Liked 446 Times in 147 Posts
Gentlemen, I purposely waited for your wonderful trip to finish up before going through the entire thread with a couple of cups of coffee this morning. Thank you both for sharing the experience with the rest of us.

Cheers!
Likes For camjr:
Old 08-04-24, 01:26 PM
rccardr 

Keep meaning to mention something new (to me, anyway) that I picked up specifically for this trip:

Yep, insulated water bottles with a protective cap over the valve. For years, I’ve been gritting (literally, from grit) my teeth when doing extended rides on sandy/dirty surfaces.
For all I know, these have been around for years and I’ve ingested 10 kilos of grit for no reason, but for me they were a life changer.

Now’s the opportunity for someone to post pictures of ones their great grand-daddy used. Maybe made with a pig bladder and a pumpkin stem.

Last edited by rccardr; 08-04-24 at 01:40 PM.
Likes For rccardr:
Old 08-04-24, 02:46 PM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Liked 446 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Keep meaning to mention something new (to me, anyway) that I picked up specifically for this trip:

Yep, insulated water bottles with a protective cap over the valve. For years, I’ve been gritting (literally, from grit) my teeth when doing extended rides on sandy/dirty surfaces.
For all I know, these have been around for years and I’ve ingested 10 kilos of grit for no reason, but for me they were a life changer.
Too bad you don't have a gizzard to deal with the grit...
Old 08-04-24, 05:11 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Liked 6,176 Times in 2,403 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Front bag is made by Gramm in Berlin with 7.5 liter capacity and fits really well on that Nitto front rack. Rear is a Carradice Pendle, which the internet says is 11L capacity.
For credit card tours I've been on (hotels, no tents and sleeping bags), handlebar and saddle bag is the most common set up.

The Usual Suspects on a summer tour of the Willamette Valley a few years ago:

Most small group tours I've been on I've carried more than others. I like to bring 3 days of clothing, for a week long trip that means having to do laundry once. I weight the bags and all together, and it's usually about 15 lbs. You can save a few pounds off of that easily, but for me the extra 3-4 lbs gets all used.
Old 08-04-24, 06:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,057 Times in 1,728 Posts
I switched to using steel bottles a few years ago. I love them. I recently got a Hydroflask bottle that is insulated. It kept the ice in there for hours. I would like a grit guard, though.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-04-24, 07:39 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Liked 2,341 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
...I would like a grit guard, though.
My leather crafting mind is in gear and tuning up the creativity.

Well done Doc and Neal! If I had kept my place in NH I'm certain I would have been tempted to join you. However, I had a family wedding to attend in TX, so there was no possibility.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com