Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikes on Amtrak

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bikes on Amtrak

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 02:40 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 461 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
An unboxed bike that travels in a true baggage car (as opposed to a dedicated space inside a passenger coach) involves a member of the train crew for loading and unloading. For example, on the Pennsylvanian, pictured above, the passenger lifts the bike up to a crew member (assuming a low plat) who then hangs/stows it. Amtrak calls it “train side checked” service. As far as I know, passengers are not permitted in baggage cars, if only for safety reasons.

“Roll-on” service is where the passenger brings the bike inside a coach and stores it in the designated area.
I agree. The point I was trying to make was independent of bike storage availability in baggage car; If the train has, it's there with you at a small stop. But from a labor standpoint, I think you may be able to get a conductor to pull your luggage and/or bike into the passenger car to get off at a small station, but there may not be service into the baggage car getting on at a small station. This may also be one of the many inconsistencies of Amtrak.

On the train I was on, no bike hooks in the passenger car, and I never looked in the baggage car. My folder just went on the luggage shelves in the passenger car.
Old 05-22-24, 06:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I agree. The point I was trying to make was independent of bike storage availability in baggage car; If the train has, it's there with you at a small stop. But from a labor standpoint, I think you may be able to get a conductor to pull your luggage and/or bike into the passenger car to get off at a small station, but there may not be service into the baggage car getting on at a small station. This may also be one of the many inconsistencies of Amtrak.

On the train I was on, no bike hooks in the passenger car, and I never looked in the baggage car. My folder just went on the luggage shelves in the passenger car.
Most people do not tour with a folder, your folder can be a carry on bag according to Amtrak policies.

When you say:
"I think you may be able to get a conductor to pull your luggage and/or bike into the passenger car to get off at a small station,...",
good luck with that if you have a full size touring bike and not your folder.
Old 05-22-24, 10:21 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 914 Times in 431 Posts
Boarding and deboarding always seems to be a mad scramble. Boarding the Northeast Regional at Union Station in Washington, the station agent told me to roll the bike to the platform and that there was no luggage car. The conductor, busy overseeing boarding and deboarding, quickly found a car where the wheelchair area was not being used and directed me to put the bike there - but was off to oversee the boarding and deboarding of others before I could even consider asking for help. I've got fashionably wide handlebars so it was a tight squeeze lifting the bike up the steps AND negotiating a 90 degree left while wearing an oversized backpack containing my panniers and other bags. My rear rack got caught up on a handle but thankfully my girlfriend spotted the problem.

Low platforms. High platforms. Short platforms. Long platforms. There are so many variables on Amtrak that it's best to be as flexible as possible, asks the staff at the station what the process is, and hope that you have a helpful conductor. Folding a bike and carrying it like luggage may in fact be the easiest way, but on this trip, my Bike Friday was festooned with bags and cages that inhibited a full fold and I didn't love the idea of carrying two train bags on a weeklong bike trip just to make the endpoints easier. But next time, I may try it that way and outfit the bike accordingly.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 05-22-24, 01:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,094 Times in 7,557 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Low platforms. High platforms. Short platforms. Long platforms. There are so many variables on Amtrak that it's best to be as flexible as possible...
Yep. And that’s because, other than the Northeast Corridor and the Harrisburg Line between Philadelphia and Harrisburg. Amtrak owns very little of the infrastructure it uses.
Old 05-22-24, 03:50 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Most people do not tour with a folder, your folder can be a carry on bag according to Amtrak policies.

When you say:
"I think you may be able to get a conductor to pull your luggage and/or bike into the passenger car to get off at a small station,...",
good luck with that if you have a full size touring bike and not your folder.
Yes, I'm not basing what I said based on any policy, I'm sure amtrak is inconsistent. On my single train trip, I recall the conductor before small stops, announcing if anyone needed luggage unloaded, to let him know. This was also spring 2022, so low occupancy due to covid, so lower workload on conductor.

Due to the low occupancy as noted above, putting my folded bike and panniers in the wheelchair area was also easy, and I could sit right there behind it, I didn't even look for luggage shelves.

Biggest surprise for me was that shuttle short-bus had front external bike rack, and would have fit my 20" wheel bike as they promised, but fork rack would have blocked the securing arm of bus rack. Fortunately, folder and no wheelchair occupant meant I just brought it on board folded. On return trip I didn't even bother folding it, it fit fine.

Old 05-24-24, 12:19 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,099 Posts
In post no. 36 I showed an image of the Amtrak "station" in Sanderson, Texas on the Southern Tier bike route. Yeah, it was just a gravel parking lot.

I'm pleased to say with the recent infusion of "infrastructure" moneys, the station has been extensively upgraded. There's now an awning and a bench to sit on.

Amtrak still proudly advertises the following amenities @ Sanderson:
  • Unstaffed station
  • ATM not available
  • No elevator
  • No payphones
  • No Amtrak ticketing kiosks
  • No restrooms
  • Unaccompanied child travel not allowed
  • No vending machines
  • No WiFi
  • No baggage car service

Westbound, the Sunset Limited still arrives/departs in at a convenient scheduled 8:27AM. Eastbound, it arrives/departs at an awkward scheduled 10:46PM.
Old 05-24-24, 12:37 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,099 Posts
Amtrak, regional, local. Goin' places with the foldie:

Old 05-24-24, 04:47 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by tcs
In post no. 36 I showed an image of the Amtrak "station" in Sanderson, Texas on the Southern Tier bike route. Yeah, it was just a gravel parking lot.

I'm pleased to say with the recent infusion of "infrastructure" moneys, the station has been extensively upgraded. There's now an awning and a bench to sit on.

Amtrak still proudly advertises the following amenities @ Sanderson:
  • Unstaffed station
  • ATM not available
  • No elevator
  • No payphones
  • No Amtrak ticketing kiosks
  • No restrooms
  • Unaccompanied child travel not allowed
  • No vending machines
  • No WiFi
  • No baggage car service

Westbound, the Sunset Limited still arrives/departs in at a convenient scheduled 8:27AM. Eastbound, it arrives/departs at an awkward scheduled 10:46PM.
It forgot to mention, graffiti viewing without the tiring walking like in a museum. "It's a feature, not a bug."
Likes For Duragrouch: