Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bike computer with Komoot style maps

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 04:08 AM
Mother_of_birds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Is there a bike computer which has komoot style maps? I really don't like having my phone mounted on my bike when I'm out mountain biking but the komoot maps are absolutely brilliant. My friend lent me his Garmin Edge 530 to try out and I much prefer having that mounted, really like all the stats it gives out but the maps are useless for mountain biking. It only really shows roads whereas komoot has offroad tracks, footpaths, even shows you where there's gates and stairs etc.
Old 05-21-24, 04:12 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
I have not tried to ride using a phone with Komoot maps, when I am using Komoot, it is on my computer.

Some GPS units can be loaded with multiple base maps that you can switch. On my GPS I have installed automotive base maps, Open Streets cycling maps, topographic maps, etc. I choose which is working best for me depending on activity and where I am.
Old 05-21-24, 06:53 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Mother_of_birds
Is there a bike computer which has komoot style maps? I really don't like having my phone mounted on my bike when I'm out mountain biking but the komoot maps are absolutely brilliant. My friend lent me his Garmin Edge 530 to try out and I much prefer having that mounted, really like all the stats it gives out but the maps are useless for mountain biking. It only really shows roads whereas komoot has offroad tracks, footpaths, even shows you where there's gates and stairs etc.
Arn't Koomot maps OpenStreetMaps? If yes, you can upload OpenStreetMaps to the Edge if it does not already have them. I know I can see tracks on my Edge 1030 with OpenStreetMaps.
Old 05-21-24, 11:22 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4317 Post(s)
Liked 1,394 Times in 973 Posts
The newer Garmins come with TrailForks, which is especially for mountain biking. I think this works like a layer on top of the regular maps (which are based on Openstreetmaps).

https://www.trailforks.com/
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-22-24, 04:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
As above, Trailforks, which works with the Edge 530
Old 05-22-24, 11:57 AM
tomasslavicek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can install the komoot app on Garmin, there are the hiking, cycling and MTB maps, you can use them offline etc. And it looks practically like on the mobile/web komoot.

On Edge 530 you should update to the latest beta firmware, there were some fixes, the maps will look better.
Old 05-23-24, 01:37 AM
walsertal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can simply use the komoot Garmin Connect iQ app on your Garmin and you get the komoot styled maps on your Garmin. You will also be able to update the route while navigation is running.