Search
Notices

Evening/night ride Houston

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-24, 11:51 AM
sypa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Evening/night ride Houston

I will fly to Airport Houston TX with bike about 8 pm and I will have to ride from Airport to Sugar Land. Q1. Is it road from airport to Houston for bicycles? Q2. Is it safe to cycle through Houston at night? It is about 40 miles and it will take me about 4 hours with all the stuff to ride - I will be at the hotel et 11 - 12 pm et night. Maybe it is better to take motel and drive at day? Thanks for help.
Old 02-11-24, 07:33 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I would not ride from the airport on the north to Sugar Land in the day or night. Take an Uber or Lyft. You could take the Metro bus 102 from the airport to the downtown transit center and then ride from the downtown transit center. You can check the bike routes for options from there.
https://mycity.maps.arcgis.com/apps/....7722%2C102100
Old 02-11-24, 08:09 AM
sypa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is too dangerous or what? I have MTB bike. Thanks for info.
Old 02-12-24, 07:58 AM
texbiker

You will ride through some areas with the potential for violence, especially at night. Contact BikeHouston.org for their thoughts.
Old 05-26-24, 12:40 AM
sypa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally, I have made my trip over Houston. I overslept in the hotel near airport and took a ride in the morning to the center. I used Android Locus Map - perfect. Very dangerous situation on my way happened in Northside area where you can smell weed in the morning. I was attacked by large dog. Fortunately, nice black lady in huge pickup saved me driving across dog and my bike so I escaped quickly. Then close to Houston center I found very, very good bike path and I stayed at hotel close to NRG Stadium where I attended Rolling Stones concert. Next day I rode to Sugar Land along Brays Bayou -quite nice bike path. The problem happened at Highway 69 crossing Keegans Bayou Trail. People leaving under the bridge were nice but the path was closed due to heavy work and Texas mud (!) so I had to use the street - but the area was nice and safe. I found very nice hotel in Sugar Land where I could keep my bike in the room. Then my trip to ocean was canceled due to mixed reasons - mainly rain, flood and no safe road to ride. Finally: I have mixed feelings. Some parts of Houston are good for biking, some not at all. I have met very nice and friendly people there. For example, et Wilcrest Drive Hand Wash owner allowed me to wash my bike for free (!) Some places are dangerous - specially by not leached dogs. All the people I have met were very nice. Some places are very good for biking. But generally it is very hard to ride Houston by bike. Very impressive experience anyway. Cheers!
Old 05-26-24, 07:44 PM
texbiker

You had an adventure. Good that you reached your destination.