Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

RATS - I Cant Believe I Said This

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

RATS - I Cant Believe I Said This

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-24, 03:40 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4540 Post(s)
Liked 5,047 Times in 3,115 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

I used to spend a decent amount of time in places where tourists can easily rent mopeds. It's a terrible situation because it puts inexperienced people on two wheels riding unfamiliar roads, often after some (or more) drinking. Despite being a minority of local moped riders, those tourists account for a large percentage of moped accident victims. Interestingly a significant cause is the speed bumps put there to improve safety.
This anecdote reminds me of a school trip to Italy when I was around 13 or 14. We soon ended up hiring mopeds to hoon around the town and it quickly became obvious who did and did not have much experience riding bikes! Fortunately nobody got badly injured, but looking back it was a very dangerous scenario.

I think this is the same problem now with the hire e-bikes that are appearing in towns and cities. Anyone can just hop on and ride quite fast without any skill or experience. I’m sure the accident rate will be much higher than it is with experienced cyclists or moped riders.

During the pandemic lockdown there was also a big cycling boom here in the UK, accompanied by a disproportionate number of fatalities. Again this was likely due to their inexperience. I remember seeing a whole family out on the road, wobbling all over the place and thinking how vulnerable they looked.