Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Original vs Restomod - Thoughts and Classic Bicycles Auburn registration seminar

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Original vs Restomod - Thoughts and Classic Bicycles Auburn registration seminar

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-24, 05:58 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,263 Times in 1,645 Posts
INteresting discussion but I'm even more confused about the definition of "RestoMod" now than I was yesterday.

Great pics from the show!! https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/34391710

This '31 Chord "Dreamcicle" (my name) is one of my favorite cars in the museum

This museum is straight out of the 1920 right down to the floor, ceiling trim and lights.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 06-07-24, 09:22 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: Gängl, Trek 938, Raleigh Professional, Paramount, Allez, Guerciotti, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 750, Miyata 1000 < Huffy

Liked 4,008 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by katzenfinch

Here’s a restomod that probably won’t make sense to anyone except maybe Huffmeister, a bottom of the line Peugeot AO8 with upgraded period components. The plastic derailleurs had crumbled during its years in the original owners’ shed and I wanted to keep it as French as possible, so Huret was the choice. I destroyed the cottered cranks getting them off and thought Stronglights looked cool so on one went along with the most significant upgrade, a sealed bottom bracket from Velo Orange. Rides well.

Very classy, and I'm sure I am not alone in that opinion

Old 06-07-24, 11:52 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam,1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,256 Times in 834 Posts
1993 Peugeot Prestige which wasoriginal with 105 sc and ultegra tricolor 6400 and later reequipped with Dura Ace 7700/7800

Old 06-08-24, 03:09 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,294 Times in 1,582 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
This '31 Chord "Dreamcicle" (my name) is one of my favorite cars in the museum

That would be the perfect car for hauling my Stella around.

Old 06-08-24, 04:06 AM
himespau 

Liked 3,116 Times in 1,923 Posts
I often think about that museum when I drive up fromwhere I live in Louisville to visit my parents in southern Michigan, but have yet to stop. One of these days, I've got to.

Old 06-08-24, 04:19 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by himespau
I often think about that museum when I drive up fromwhere I live in Louisville to visit my parents in southern Michigan, but have yet to stop. One of these days, I've got to.
It's well worth it. I need to visit more often. There is another museum right behind it with more modern cars, '60s n '70s and a GMC Futureliner too!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-08-24, 04:51 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

It seems "Restomod" covers, depending to who you talk to, almost any chnges fro how the bike rolled out of the bike shop or how it's presented in the catalog. To me it kind of meant, going "Fixie" (with or without 'Drewing') or upgrading the components and wheels from say a usual '80s mix of Campagnolo derailleurs wif the usual mix of Ofmega cranks, Modolo brakes, Ofmega hubs, HS, ITM post, stem and bars to a recent shipmano or Campanutella "Brifter" equipped group and deep dish aero wheels and even tubeless wheels.

I was suprised to discover my road bikes bikes could all be considered RestoMods even though most were sold as frame/fork.

I've tried to keep my baby true her 1990 roots and the core components have stayed the same over the years, 1st Gen CHourus HS, cranks, FD, calipers, and levers. The bars stem, post, saddle and wheels, shifters and RD have all changed as my type of riding, physical condition and vision of what I want her to be have changed.

Except for the rear derailleur, it's aGPX now, this how she looks today. She looks great and fairly faithful to her 1990s roots. I never considered her a restomod but simply a bike that grew with me as my riding and tastes changed.

This is from around 2009 and is actually a 3rd or even 4th redesign with the Profile H2O stem a Titanium American Classic seatpost, that went to my red Proto and eventually sold, and pair of GP4s laced to some midlevel Campagnutella hubs. The index shifting worked well.

This is how she looked in 2018, the wheels changed to the beautiful Ticino HF cassette hubset but still wearing Dura Ace "Integrated 8" RD and shifters Salsa quill stem, still the original TTT bars, Blue Origin 8 post and Brooks saddle

Now what do you call it when you put old inferior tech on a newer bike? A few years ago I doffed the Record DP brakes off my '97 Ti Megatube and put my favorite Monoplanor style brakes on it.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 06-09-24, 07:16 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Liked 2,175 Times in 1,271 Posts
I can't think of any bike I have ever owned that remained "original" in the way it rolled off the production line. I have always changed parts around to have a better fit for my size and riding style. Even though most look like they are correct they have been changes in some ways. Smiles, MH
Old 06-09-24, 11:52 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,294 Times in 1,582 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
It seems "Restomod" covers, depending to who you talk to, almost any chnges fro how the bike rolled out of the bike shop or how it's presented in the catalog. To me it kind of meant, going "Fixie" (with or without 'Drewing') or upgrading the components and wheels from say a usual '80s mix of Campagnolo derailleurs wif the usual mix of Ofmega cranks, Modolo brakes, Ofmega hubs, HS, ITM post, stem and bars to a recent shipmano or Campanutella "Brifter" equipped group and deep dish aero wheels and even tubeless wheels.
I would have agreed with your definition, but I understand that purists view things differently. They're wrong, but they view things differently.