Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on This Pedego City Commuter?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 12:37 PM
RoadWearier
Banned.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts

I'd like a bike to replace my car as much as possible. This one is available near me for $2000. There is a dealer here in Chattanooga.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1240468467312402/?mibextid=dXMIcH

This is the link. They really want to be firm at $2500 or $2000 with the luggage but I am insisting on the bags.

I'd like to use it to replace my car as much as possible for grocery shopping and weekly meetings I have on the weekend. Not really for recreation as I'd rather just ride a regular bike for that. So I need dependability, Range of 20 miles. Apparently it will do 20 so I guess that will suffice. It's not the most masculine thing in the world, but I guess that's ok.

So is it worth $2000 or can I do better for $2k?
Old 05-22-24, 12:40 PM
RoadWearier
Banned.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Here are some stats if you don't want to look at the link. Also I'm 5'10...is it too small? I know ebikes aren't as size sensitive as regular bikes.

Old 05-22-24, 05:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4524 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
It is a low initial cost e-moped. Nothing great but if you have a good dealer near you it is slightly better. It has nicer inadequate brakes on it that would be fine on a lighter weight hybrid or something but not ones I would want on something with a motor and especially not a throttled machine. Everything else is pretty much low end hybrid or geared cruiser parts. Nothing particularly great or super reliable but initially functional and low cost though not really worth 2k used.

Having a motor or not having a motor doesn't change anything about sizing a bike. All of the same rules of fit will apply. Certainly if you are using it as a moped then that matters less but in that case I would rather just get a higher quality electric scooter.

If you truly want dependability go with a Bosch equipped e-bike. If you are going with derailleurs look for 10 speed and above and if going IGH make sure it has a belt drive (really low maintenance). I haven't seen a Bosch equipped bike these days without hydraulic disc brakes but just in case make sure it has hydraulic disc brakes. A mid-drive motor is going to be more efficient and will allow you to build a stronger wheel in the back.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-22-24, 09:33 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 865 Times in 654 Posts
I'm a fan of Pedego bikes and have ridden several. They have an impeccable reputation in socal AFAICT. Also, I think a hub system makes a lot of sense for a cargo bike and the BS about mid reliability is nonsense (to me). However, a new City Commuter is only $2295 (possibly less in the current bike environment) and I'd much rather purchase a new bike for the same cost even if you need to add bags. The bike looks too small for a 5'10" rider.
Old 05-22-24, 09:39 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 461 Posts
Ebikes are advancing FAST, in terms of performance versus cost. I think there are superior bikes new for about that cost, with full warranty, and batteries, gears, and motors wear, and all are expensive to replace. All the time I am seeing used ebikes for sale on craigslist, at what would have been a good price used when they were new, but not now, they are trying to sell to some sucker and upgrade themselves.

For comparison, look online at specs of Wired Freedom, and Lectric, both are in the $2000 range. Wired is very fast with huge battery, like 80 mile range I think. Lectric offers one with Pinion transmission, a premium and low maintenance gear system.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 05-23-24, 03:58 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 628 Posts
IF you were getting the ebike (it's not an e-moped) directly from PedegoElectricBikes, WITH the full warranty AND their excellent customer support, I'd say it was possibly worth it. Without that support I'd pass. As stated, you can get a bike that's equal to, or superior to, this ebike for the same price. I'd, personally, pass on it.

Last edited by tds101; 05-23-24 at 05:31 PM.
Likes For tds101: