Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Raleigh "Super Record" 10 Speed Bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 01:26 PM
cobr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking to buy a bike for commuting to work and exercising. I found this bike on Facebook marketplace for $125. It's a 'Raleigh "Super Record" 10 Speed Bicycle' from some time in the 80s. SN number is SD101522. Also, it has a THE RALEIGH badge in front of the bike .It has new tires (period correct gum sidewalls 32-630 27" X 1.25"), tubes and rim tape. "Raleigh" chain ring (2) derailleur and "Schimano" cassette (5) derailleur. I'm new to the bicycle community and I'm really not sure the worth of this bike. Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 05-23-24, 01:53 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 202 Posts
Here's another thread on that model: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-10-speed.html

In that thread you'll see that the stock wheels are steel. Those are not the best because they are heavy and do not stop well when it rains. If the wheels have been replaced with aluminum wheels, it will be a much better choice.
Old 05-23-24, 02:26 PM
cobr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you! I did see that post but I didn't see a lot of talk on the actual value. I just messaged the seller and asked if the wheels have been replaced.
Old 05-23-24, 04:09 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3882 Post(s)
Liked 3,502 Times in 2,276 Posts
-----

ca. 1978-1979 was the last of the England Raleigh bicycles for the U.S. market

following that Huffman got the rights to the name for the U.S. market and created the marque "Raleigh of America" with products being contract produced in Asia

the wheel rims on the cycle in the other discussion thread appear to be alloy

as mentioned in the thread that example looks to be very close to 1980

here is the 1981 (closest year found) catalogue page for the Super Record model -

here is the specifications crosstable for that year -

for 1981 the line had not as yet been converted to 6V/12V

-----
Old 05-26-24, 11:23 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by cobr
Thank you! I did see that post but I didn't see a lot of talk on the actual value. I just messaged the seller and asked if the wheels have been replaced.
If it has the original chrome rims, it should not be a deal breaker. I ride a Raleigh Sprite from the 1970's, it's essentially a 5 speed version of the Record and it has the original chromed steel rims. It's a commuter bike so I don't ride it long distances and on the rare occasion it rains while I'm out, I wait for the rain to stop and continue but at a slower speed to control the diminished braking power.
Old 05-26-24, 01:48 PM
cobr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by branko_76
If it has the original chrome rims, it should not be a deal breaker. I ride a Raleigh Sprite from the 1970's, it's essentially a 5 speed version of the Record and it has the original chromed steel rims. It's a commuter bike so I don't ride it long distances and on the rare occasion it rains while I'm out, I wait for the rain to stop and continue but at a slower speed to control the diminished braking power.
I see, thank you for the information. Yes they are the original steel wheels. Do you think the price tag is fair?
Likes For cobr:
Old 05-26-24, 01:57 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5937 Post(s)
Liked 3,647 Times in 2,155 Posts
You can do better for $125 than a bike with steel rims. They don't work as well in the wet as aluminum and they're heavy. I'd keep looking.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-26-24, 05:15 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 437 Posts
I found this bike on Facebook marketplace for $125. .It has new tires (period correct gum sidewalls 32-630 27" X 1.25"), tubes and rim tape.
I see, thank you for the information. Yes they are the original steel wheels. Do you think the price tag is fair?
NEW tires, tubes, tape, labor, classic 10 speed that will outlast most consumer bikes made today.........do the math

Last edited by branko_76; 05-27-24 at 03:51 PM.