Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 11:22 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
My lunch time errand runner, a '92 GT Passage. The wife caught a guy about to throw it in the dumpster, had him load it in the back of her car. Took me four evenings to tear it down, clean up and rebuild. Have added a rear rack and carrier pack since the pic was taken - Blumel Popular fenders are coming in the near future, once I get the alloys for my touring bike.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-15-08, 02:41 PM
pjohn12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a lover of the poprad. Nice setup with the saddle rack and everything else. What kind of rack you rolling with?
Old 02-16-08, 11:59 AM
Junkdad

Bikes: Beater Managerie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! It is a Blackburn road rack that i pulled off another bike. The poprad doesn't have seatstay rack mounts so we fashioned a special mount that attaches to the seatstay bridge. It has to bend to go around the brake cable. It's kind of a pain but fully functional now.

Old 02-16-08, 09:35 PM
dsoul27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heres my baby... 2007 diamondback response. no upgrade except the thinner rode tires and some lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike.jpg (90.2 KB, 208 views)
Old 02-17-08, 03:57 PM
PJones0012

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuter

07 Motobecane Elite FS
Has stock off the shelf components except for the pedals, I've added Forte Campus 2-sided pedals.
Shimano Acera 21 Speed, PushButtonShifters, 6061 Aluminum ComfortTuned frame, RST Magnesium TR Pro Suspension Fork 700c, Forged Aluminum V Brakes, Silver Aluminum Double Wall Rims, Stainless Spokes 36fr/36r, M-Wings hubs, Forged aluminum Crankset, M-Wings Aluminum Bar, ComfortAdjust Stem and Micro-adjust ComfortSuspension Seatpost, RoadLight 700cx40c tires.
This is a work in progress. I've added a Topeak Explorer OS rack with U-lock, Dahon rear light mounted on the rack with a Planted Bike Super Flash on each side of the rear wheel. I have 4 different Topeak QR trunk bags, a Sigma Mirage light set and Planet Bike Beamer 3 LED set on strobe. A Topeak Mule front pannier rack and 2 set of panniers, Topeak and InTransit, finish off what I have so far.
(Sorry about the crappy picture. Cheap camera and I'm trying to learn Photoshop so I can edit photo size.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
004_edited.jpg (40.1 KB, 251 views)
Old 02-17-08, 04:28 PM
mrejda

Bikes: 83 Miyata 610, 72ish Raleigh Gran Prix, 77 Centurion Super LeMans, Haro Mary (29er SS Rigid), Salsa Ala Carte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miyata 610 commuter

I was taking pictures today for another project and threw this together of my recently put together 83 Six Ten. The frame is way too small so I did what I could. I'm planning on doing a few 40 mile rounds trips a week on it when the weather breaks. This will be my first time bike commuting but I've put some long rides on the bike and it's pretty forgiving.
There's a PB superflash and a Fenix L2D for the lighting. Some MKS pedals, an army medic bag, northroad bars, ESI chunky grips, and other assorted stuff I could find to get it into shape.

Old 02-17-08, 05:15 PM
craigdurkee

Bikes: gaint crx 2 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how do you find those type of bars
Old 02-17-08, 05:57 PM
mrejda

Bikes: 83 Miyata 610, 72ish Raleigh Gran Prix, 77 Centurion Super LeMans, Haro Mary (29er SS Rigid), Salsa Ala Carte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's some discussion in the thread below. I feel like I'm a bit slower but my hands and wrists were fine after a 40 mi and 30 mi ride. I have no experience with drops (looking to change that) but these were a big improvement over a MTB flatbar with barends.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=384525
Old 02-20-08, 07:31 PM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
just took this away from wife(bought it for her over a yr ago... she's never ridden it) and converted to my bad weather commuter...

best part: bought it on ebay for under 70.00

Old 02-21-08, 09:22 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
first commute for me this season. First commute on a non recumbent bike in a few years. Still have some kinks to work out with the bike, which is an early 70's raleigh grand prix.

Old 02-23-08, 09:10 AM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this bike at REI, me likes it ! (But I do not own it)... I was just browsing their site and there it was, pannier racks and fenders + internal gear hub + front generator hub.

Old 02-23-08, 01:59 PM
StokerPoker

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordfasterr
I found this bike at REI, me likes it ! (But I do not own it)... I was just browsing their site and there it was, pannier racks and fenders + internal gear hub + front generator hub.
I looked at those last year. Glad to see they come in a nicer color for '08. A couple of "deal breakers" for me were the fact that it had a grip shifter and I don't like taking wheels off with internal hubs. Silly reasons I suppose, but I'm happy with the '07 Kentfield I got
Old 02-23-08, 02:15 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I finally got around to updating the pics of some of my bikes, notably the commuters.

Primary Commuter: 2005 Fuji World

Winter Commuter: 2006 Raleigh Rt24
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 02-23-08, 09:47 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
Just posted this in the winter and vintage commuter's forums and I guess it could go in the folding forum too...

Old 02-24-08, 10:27 AM
chiefhoser
All weather rider

Bikes: 1994 Kona Fire Mountain, 2006 Kona Dew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter Commuter

Here is my winter commuter. It is a 70's era (I think) road bike, labeled Tour de France Jacques Anquetil. The local used bike shop (LUBS) built it up as a single speed for me and I've since done a few modifications on it, such as the newer pedals and the moustache handlebars. There are still a few things I want to do on it, I'm thinking of replacing the Mafac brake levers with cyclocross levers, primarily for ease of maintenace. The Mafac Racer brakes are still fine though and I'll be keeping them.

Old 02-24-08, 07:59 PM
billbass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey aMull. Nice to see another Iron Horse.They seem to be the black sheep of the bike world. I know mine is a damn nice bike.I couldn't even find a review for mine, an 07 Adventure anywhere on line, which really didn't matter because I test rode it several times, and loved it. It seems some business decisions made by the company made them arch enemies of small bike shops. At least thats what I have heard. Riders love em, smaller lbs hate them. Someone correct me if I'm ill informed.If anyone here has the full story, I'd be interested in reading it. It's too bad you don't see more of them around. Mine is a bombproof little bike that will go anywhere.
Bill
Old 02-24-08, 08:19 PM
rfomenko
sic transit gloria mundi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I converted my 2007 Raleigh to the Sturmey Archer 3 speed SRF3 hub (their new version) at the time of purchase in November 2007. I just paid $470 for the bike on sale plus $230 for SA hub/better wheels upgrade (Sunrims CR18/105 front wheel hub/DT Swiss spokes). The Brooks saddle to top it of and here is the modern recreation of the classic Raleigh Clubman:
https://retroraleighs.com/clubman-kohler.html
The SA hub is very small & most people think the bike is a fixie. It also adds only about 2lb to the weight of the bike unlike Shimano 8 speed which is 4lb and quite large. SA is also less expensive and easier to service. I also figured that I do not need more than 3 speeds in New York. I am VERY happy with the setup. I also have Bianchi Volpe which is basically a 27 speed version of this Raleigh, Surly Pacer with Ultegra/Campagnolo Proton wheels. This Raleigh is used almost exclusively this winter.
Old 02-24-08, 10:48 PM
treekella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool bikes
Old 02-25-08, 06:48 PM
Hornpipe2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine: a Raleigh Marathon, circa 1984. Got it free. It's very tall.

This was supposed to be a 'before' shot, but there's no 'after' yet since my Nashbar rear rack came with bolts that are too small for the eyelets above the rear axle. I probably just completely embarrassed myself with incorrect terminology there... : )

EDIT: Anyone else with the same rack as Wheels4 above, can you post a close-up of your rack mounting? Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Last edited by Hornpipe2; 02-26-08 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-25-08, 07:27 PM
Wheels4

here ya go hornpipe....

and yes, i know i need to clean the drive train and lube it...

Old 02-25-08, 11:11 PM
knatchwa
Living Life On Two Wheels

Bikes: Giant Rincon 2007 Model - Black & Grey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great to see so many interesting bikes, so many modifications to make it just right that is great. Still only using my Giant Rincon 21" for everything, be nice to have a bike specific but just not viable yet. Thanks for sharing they are good photos, full of ideas.
Old 02-26-08, 10:24 AM
riddei
Needing more power Scotty

Bikes: 2006 Trek T-80 (commuter) 1982 Bianchi SS (classic 12 speed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just replaced the standard hybrid bars with Nashbar Trekking bars. This Trek T-80 Navigator came complete with integrated lights, rack, compact pump, fenders, chain-guard, kick stand, integrated lock, and bell. The last year they sold it in the USA was 2005. I bought this in the summer of 2006 as a leftover.

Last edited by riddei; 02-26-08 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-26-08, 02:49 PM
Hornpipe2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheels4
here ya go hornpipe....
Thanks! It appears I was doing it right after all, but the bolts are just too small. I'll have to visit the hardware store for some washers and nuts.
Old 02-26-08, 07:17 PM
Wheels4

glad i could help...
Old 02-26-08, 11:27 PM
DCvision

Bikes: Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got my rig set up... a '99 Giant Sedona. As with all guys still looking for a few more doodads to "finish" things up, but will do for a while.. A Nashbar rack is under an Ascent rack bag and a pair of Inertia designs panniers complete the gear. Plenty of room for pair of shoes, change of clothes and a towel, lunch and camera,plus tire tools and change for the bus!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.