Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 10:59 AM
striegel 

Bikes: 1975 Paris Sport 700, 2007 Dahon Mu P8 (folding bicycle), 1984 Miyata 210

Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Beautiful weather this morning -- sunny and mid-50's.

I saw a large wild turkey cross the street about 100 feet ahead of me at one point and it just loitered beside the road as I pedaled past.

Later as I crossed a bridge over the Chagrin river, I looked over the right hand rail to the water below and was rewarded with the sight of a doe and her fawn standing in the center of the water.
Old 07-24-08, 11:03 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Got off to a rather late start. As I was about to turn onto Township Road from Cowan, I noticed a water truck was turning around; he just watered down the road, which meant the dirt and crushed limestone was now wet and sticky (ugh). My calves are a little sore, but it'll be a good excuse to get my wife to message my legs tonight. Otherwise, a nice ride.
Old 07-24-08, 12:55 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Biked to dentist, another bike was arriving when I was departing. Then out the most unscenic nasty route to work, I just didn't have time to detour. Otherwise fine ride though.
Old 07-24-08, 01:42 PM
jag6780
Bronx <-> Midtown Commute

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noteon
Kind of annoying on the way to work, headwind all the way, and just not feeling the buzz. Now I'm staying late at the office unexpectedly, and I didn't bring my headlight, so I'll be taking the subway home.

Tomorrow I'll take the subway here and then ride the bike home.
How was the ride yesterday morning? Wasn't it raining?

Your lucky today though, it turned out beautiful...
Old 07-24-08, 02:00 PM
Moskau
Evil Pony

Bikes: Trek 6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plenty of headwind on the way home today. I can feel I'm due for a rest day now and regret using my day off on Tuesday to do all sorts of stupid stuff like bike, dance and do pushups. I've been sore all over since!!

Still, I plan to bike to work tomorrow and then it's car to work on Saturday. My body can do one more day...
Old 07-24-08, 02:21 PM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm, boring ride this morning. I was going to a clinic to get some vaccinations so i took it ez so as to not break a sweat. I'll break a sweat this afternoon.
Old 07-24-08, 03:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Did a mellow ride with my buddy before work. Hoping to make the Airport Ride tonight. That'll put me over 600 miles for the month and there's still a week left.
Old 07-24-08, 04:13 PM
ban guzzi
circus bear

Bikes: 97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ride jome was nice this morning. Met the girlfriend for a quick ride when she got off work. Have to drive in tonight since the same girlfriend needs to get to the airport in the AM.
I hear thunder and smell rain.
I'd rather be rididng tonight. I love riding in rain.
Old 07-24-08, 04:37 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tailwind for a change!
Old 07-24-08, 05:07 PM
deez
peaced out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride in was beautiful, Ride home I filed my first police report...

Some lady evidently felt I was not close enough to the side of the road and expressed herself to that end with hand gestures and yelling. When I pulled up at the stop sign next to her she started yelling more (through her closed passenger window) I asked her what the problem was and she says "What are you gonna try and beat me up?" ...uh no dice honey....So I explained to her that I was riding as safely as possible and that I know the law and if she didn't want to beleive me she could check online or wait for the cops to come explain. The mention of cops got her even more incensed so I calmly walked my bike to the front of her car, Read her licence plate out loud to her, set myself up to keep riding forward, straddled the frame and just sat there unmoving watching her boil for 30 seconds before I decided to move on.

a minute down the road and she was pacing me about 50 yards behind me...so I called the cops. Cops came, took my report and the officer was very nice. I asked him if it sounded like i was obeying the traffic laws properly and he said it sounded like I did...end of story..i dunno what happens with that stuff...probably nothing unless i file another report...
Old 07-24-08, 06:19 PM
77midget
me ride bike good

Bikes: Trek 4300; Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My clothes were just almost dry from the ride in when I changed for the ride home. It was a monsoon out! I had 5 people offer to give me a ride! Anyway, I wanted to pad the ride by a mile and 1/2 so I could turn 600 miles on the odo for commuting this year, but as soon as I hopped on, broken strap on pedal. I coulda made it the extra distance, but was preoccupied with making sure I could pedal safely in the rain with no strap since it was slippy, and just ended up going the normal way home. Should cross 600 on the way in.
Old 07-24-08, 06:19 PM
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On todays ride I passed a fellow commuter. The first time in a month that I have seen a commuter. I was planning to take it easy today sort of a recovery week for me. But I was feeling so good I took some railroad tracks at a faster speed than I have in the past and my flashing light in front was bounced off the handle bars. No damage to my blackburn light.

Cloudy on the way in, sunny and humid 90 degrees on the way back.
Old 07-24-08, 09:56 PM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ug, had a bit of a confrontation at work with a co-worker and my boss. It all worked out for me but i was still pretty steamed, so i took a 20km detour on the way home to burn off some of that frustration. The ride was awesome anger can turn pedals fairly well. It really cleared the head too. My milage for this month is the now the highest of any month i've put in and it isn't over yet.
Old 07-24-08, 10:01 PM
knucklesandwich

Bikes: Kona Jake (2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfect weather today, but...
Jackass on the Tricross, next time you go to pass me in traffic (read: casual riders weaving 2 abreast in bth directions on the MUP) make damn ***in sure your rear wheel is beyond my front before you cut back into my space. You passed me because I was being careful around noobs and casual folks, not because you're Lance and I'm Ulrich.
Old 07-24-08, 10:17 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
I was finally able to commute again!! The weather this summer has been ... weird, and not terribly co-operative ... at least not for 68+ kms!

It feels good when I can commute.

For photos, see:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...ostcount=25555
Old 07-25-08, 01:45 AM
Moskau
Evil Pony

Bikes: Trek 6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pig_Chaser
The ride was awesome anger can turn pedals fairly well.
How true! I did my fastest time to work this month when angry. I was really mellow afterwards.

This morning was calm and beautiful. I enjoyed the ride, was running a little late though. First I almost forgot my water bottle, then I almost forgot my backpack. Arrived at work and two people haven't showed up so I felt bad for not arriving as early as I like to be.
Old 07-25-08, 02:21 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Beautiful ride in on on the new ss and it was a beautiful ride home on the '48 Rudge save for the last 5 minutes where I was almost intentionally turned into roadkill by some rednecks in a pickup.

This the second time this has happened in as many weeks.
Old 07-25-08, 06:27 AM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took wednesday and thursday off work. Rode 30 miles both days. The first day nearly killed me.

The route I took had a lot of hills. It was almost straight north for the bulk of the ride. The wind was coming out of the North at 14mph. Big hills + heavy head wind + heavy backpack = tired pup. I had to stop a few times to get in a good rest.

30 miles isn't that far, so I felts pretty discouraged. I had done around 30 miles before, and thought this wouldn't be too bad.

The way back was much easier. So much easier i cut my time in half. Which is Silly. The wind was coming out of the north west and I was heading southwest, so It wasn't neutral, but it wasn't giving me THAT much of a push. the wind had slowed down anyhow, only at about 10mph or less. I felt like I was riding very very fast, but doing the calculation, I only did about 14.6 MPH on average for this ride.

14.6 MPH? Thats kind of slow. makes me feel not so great.

The ride this morning to work wasn't so bad. But my legs were a bit fatigued. Got to work on time.
Old 07-25-08, 06:52 AM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride in, had a higher average speed because I saw another commuter I've seen before and I tried to chase him down. The attempt to intercept was...unsuccessful, but enjoyable. Dude is fast. That makes two times this week that I haven't been able to catch someone I started chasing. Perhaps I'm slow. Either way, I'm riding.
Old 07-25-08, 06:57 AM
jterribili

Bikes: Kobe Chapparal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello everyone - been a while since I posted. hope everyone is OK. I've been good, just lotsa going on. For all you teachers types, I will have a note from my doctor/parent/shrink to explain my tardiness.

great ride in this morning. Caught up to a roadie who also commutes a couple times a week. we rode together for a while chatting. He was lovin my Carradice saddlebag hanging off the post - I probably could have sold it to him right then and there if I wanted to - but no way am I doing that.
Old 07-25-08, 07:00 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I flogged my body (Flogging Molly?!? Cool group, BTW ) this week. Took a long, hot soaking bath after my ride last night and resting up this weekend. Surprised my calves are still on a speaking basis with me. (BTW, my name is not Molly. LOL)
Old 07-25-08, 07:06 AM
jasonsstover

Bikes: Seven Odonata, Trek beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was probably the nicest day yet for a commute and has been the nicest ride in so far. Absolutely beautiful. Saw a doe in a soybean field and a little bunny with no ears. I figure the lawnmower got him. He sure was cute. Looking forward to the casual friday ride home. We may even ride our bikes up to the zoo for the jazzoo series tonight.
Old 07-25-08, 07:27 AM
rlrct

Bikes: Trek XO1 (Commuter), Trek Madone 6.5, older Trek 850 hardtail MTB, crashed Kestrel 200SCi I can't toss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride in today - temps in the mid 60s for a change. Forgot my water bottle though, the ride home will be in the upper 80s - oh well.

Had free breakfast at the Central CT Bicycle Alliance "last Friday of the month for cyclo-commuters" by the Old State House in downtown Hartford. It's kinda neat to see a bunch of cyclists and bikes that are obviously all being used for commuting.
Old 07-25-08, 07:38 AM
77midget
me ride bike good

Bikes: Trek 4300; Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful morning. It is always nice after a couple stormy days. Lots of mist and fog with a bright sun. Found myself going a bit slower and enjoying it until I got to the downtown area, then it was back onto the pedals. 68*F and low humidity. I am a bit fatigued though, as I have not had a day off from biking in a while.
Old 07-25-08, 08:10 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nothing really to post. Just trying to avoid working.

Nothing amazing this morning. No drivers trying to run me over. No sudden emergency manuevers. I did come out to the garage and my commuter had a flat. Swapped bags and jumped on my tarmac. What a fun ride easily doing 21 mph instead of my usual 19. I think adding gears to my salsa will be the project this winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.