Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Your Fixed Gear/SS Photos!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Your Fixed Gear/SS Photos!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 03:46 PM
NeilMonday

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeezaGeeza
Hi, nice build. I'm just finishing mine off and I wondered how you got the decals off. I've managed 2 with a hair dryer so far but man that was hard work and took an hour. Any tips?
no hair dryer, no heat gun, no goo gone. Just an old CD. Hold the edge of the cd against the frame and just plow through them decals. That worked best for me.
Old 01-24-08, 04:29 PM
Metricoclock

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well i finally got around to taking some pictures of my ride.

Miata 310 - conversion

I originally found her in the fence row of my house, she had been left here about 2 yrs ago by a friend of my room mates before the owner moved away to TX.

I didn't need to do much cleaning up of it to get it on the road.
The only upgrades were the wheel set, and I wouldn't necessarily call my chop and flops much of an upgrade from the risers that were on it, but a def improvement.
And yes, the stickers are still on the wheels, and yes those crappy bars are bare. Was still searching for what i wanted to do with the bars when the weather was warmer and I was riding more.

PS - yeah she's a lil dirty from the weather.

Last edited by Metricoclock; 01-24-08 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 05:07 PM
Suttree
some new kind of kick

Bikes: SOMA Rush, Miyata 912, Kogswell Mod. G, want a porteur bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
looks fun. I dig me a Miyata. Is the chain ever so slightly loose?
Old 01-24-08, 05:17 PM
Live2Die
?que?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my miata 112, and yours looks great! which model is that? I wish I had that fork mine was missing chain looks fine to me, loose but probably not gonna throw it unless your doing some crazy stuff. I have been amaized with how a looser chain increased my speed and RPM's.
Old 01-24-08, 05:41 PM
Metricoclock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^

It is a Miata 310 , i've yet to see another one in that color scheme a metallic gray with the red decals, and red accents where the lugs and tubes meet.

The chain is just slightly looser than my preference, little bit of play when track standing, I actually haven't even retentioned it since september when i put that wheel set on.
Old 01-24-08, 07:25 PM
novielo
DIY everything

Bikes: 197x venture lamans, fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NeilMonday
no hair dryer, no heat gun, no goo gone. Just an old CD. Hold the edge of the cd against the frame and just plow through them decals. That worked best for me.

for the decals i use methyl hydrate, in other word fondue fuel. damp a rag on it and it soften the the decal... worked for me on a 25 yo bike.

Originally Posted by Live2Die
I love my miata 112, and yours looks great! which model is that? I wish I had that fork mine was missing chain looks fine to me, loose but probably not gonna throw it unless your doing some crazy stuff. I have been amaized with how a looser chain increased my speed and RPM's.
i agree with the chain tension, same for me. i little looser chain create less friction on the bearings
Old 01-24-08, 08:19 PM
pirate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metricoclock
It is a Miata 310 , i've yet to see another one in that color scheme a metallic gray with the red decals, and red accents where the lugs and tubes meet.
I have that exact same frame.

I dig the red v's, but peel them stickers off.
Old 01-24-08, 08:43 PM
pirate.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtaras263
how did you strip the fork?
Old 01-24-08, 09:00 PM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
By taking the paint off?
Old 01-24-08, 09:08 PM
JellyMeetsJam
resident blockhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jasco paint stripper probably
Old 01-24-08, 09:51 PM
Metricoclock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pirate
I have that exact same frame.

I dig the red v's, but peel them stickers off.

is that a gold outline around the red decals???

Mine sat out side in the elements for about 2yrs so mine are not as vibrant, but looks like it could of been a gold out line on the red lettering
Old 01-24-08, 10:31 PM
pirate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nah its silver around the decals

on a second look it appears that the decals are slightly different. still the same frame and paintjob though.
Old 01-24-08, 11:38 PM
morbot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaiju-velo
looks fun. I dig me a Miyata. Is the chain ever so slightly loose?
what the **** do you care

seriously is there like a bingo game and you only need the "loose chain" spot to win? ive never understood why people give a **** about whether people ride with slack chains.
Old 01-24-08, 11:41 PM
letsthrowfries

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think people care because it affects drivetrain efficiency and chain wear. Personally, I see no problem in letting people do what they think is best for them.
Old 01-25-08, 12:00 AM
frankstoneline
stay free.

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1980's Ross Signature 292s 12 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morbot

seriously is there like a bingo game and you only need the "loose chain" spot to win? ive never understood why people give a **** about whether people ride with slack chains.
Chill out broham. he was just asking, probably because he's concerned about your drivetrain efficiency or chain wear or something. He's not attacking you.
Old 01-25-08, 12:03 AM
ThunderChunky
ThumperChump.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morbot

stop having a fit. that bingo analogy was ****ing stupid.
Old 01-25-08, 12:05 AM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now I've got a droopy loose chain much like that Miyata. Aside from a little play when I trackstand, I love it. On my old drivetrain I could have never ridden it this loose but now that the chainline is spot on +/-1mm and the whole drivetrain is now 1/8 (whereas before the c-ring was 3/32 and everything else 1/8), I have yet to throw a chain. The increased pedal effeciency and decreased wear on the drivetrain/bearings is a bonus too. Too tight chains are pretty much suicide for the durability factor.

Letsthrowfries I think you have it backwards. Too-tight chains affect drivetrain wear and efficiency; a looser chain is better in that regard but worse if it gets thrown. Track racers traditionally have much looser chains than the average street rider for a reason. Another advantage is you can feel if you're getting "behind the spin" easier.
Old 01-25-08, 08:34 AM
TheKingFiphtin

Bikes: Jamis crosscountry single speed with slicks; Schwin Traveller fixed gear conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Metric, I love your bike. The colors are great. What are you planning for bar wrapping?

Yeah, and ditch the decal on your wheels. Just my opinion.
Old 01-25-08, 09:21 AM
Metricoclock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheKingFiphtin
Hey Metric, I love your bike. The colors are great. What are you planning for bar wrapping?

Yeah, and ditch the decal on your wheels. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the compliment, I really dig it too!

Well I'm planning on throwing on so TT bars that have minimal drop on them, for wrapping them probably some brown tape, that will match the impending brown Brooks saddle. I think that will round things out nicely.

Not planning on too many upgrades for it since it works perfectly fine the way it is.
But once I pick up a reasonable track frame, I will probably be putting drops back on it and use it as my long distance fixed road bike (probably switch out the front and possibly rear to machined deep V's for brakes and some reasonable clip less pedals)
Old 01-25-08, 11:17 AM
Igneous Faction

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been pretty well established that BFSSFG has no idea about what kind of slack is appropriate in a chain. Every single time a bike gets posted with even a hint of convex curvature in the chain, someone inevitably is like, "DUDE YR GONNA DIE YR CHAIN WILL POP OFF AND YR DRIVETRAIN WILL WEAR AND TARQARROSPOK!"

A little slack is fine.
Old 01-25-08, 11:24 AM
letsthrowfries

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andre nickatina
Right now I've got a droopy loose chain much like that Miyata. Aside from a little play when I trackstand, I love it. On my old drivetrain I could have never ridden it this loose but now that the chainline is spot on +/-1mm and the whole drivetrain is now 1/8 (whereas before the c-ring was 3/32 and everything else 1/8), I have yet to throw a chain. The increased pedal effeciency and decreased wear on the drivetrain/bearings is a bonus too. Too tight chains are pretty much suicide for the durability factor.

Letsthrowfries I think you have it backwards. Too-tight chains affect drivetrain wear and efficiency; a looser chain is better in that regard but worse if it gets thrown. Track racers traditionally have much looser chains than the average street rider for a reason. Another advantage is you can feel if you're getting "behind the spin" easier.

Thanks Andre, for correcting me. How loose is too loose? Back when I started riding, I threw a chain. I've been riding mine with only a little sag but no where near old lady boob sag- what would you say is a good chain tension? It takes a whiiiile for me to wear down my drivetrain- so I figure it's been alright.
Old 01-25-08, 12:29 PM
piwonka
park ranger

Bikes: recumbents

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my chain ahs lost of slack. it dn't derail. 1/8" is beter fro keeping hte chain in it's palce.
Old 01-25-08, 12:29 PM
Straws
for drinking

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by piwonka
my chain ahs lost of slack. it dn't derail. 1/8" is beter fro keeping hte chain in it's palce.
dude it's 1:30 in the afternoon. Are you drunk?
Old 01-25-08, 12:33 PM
piwonka
park ranger

Bikes: recumbents

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well it is firday.
Old 01-25-08, 12:53 PM
TehK

Bikes: 2003 Novara Randonnee, Miyata 512, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank god, this week went by so slowly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.