Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.3

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-23, 12:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,205 Times in 6,778 Posts
I was watching the NBC Sports TdF highlight reel last night and
Spoiler

I found my leg muscles involuntarily contracting as if I were pedaling. Anyone else get that, watching the exciting moments of a bike race?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-07-23, 12:11 PM
big john

Liked 10,164 Times in 4,938 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I was watching the NBC Sports TdF highlight reel last night and
Spoiler

I found my leg muscles involuntarily contracting as if I were pedaling. Anyone else get that, watching the exciting moments of a bike race?
No but I get very nervous during the sprints and I hate to see the crashes.

I found out the race is broadcast on USA network which is included in my basic cable. Lots of commercials, though, and it's Phil and Bobke. Also, it's not on demand so you have to watch it live. The only thing they have on demand it a highlight show which is 20-30 minutes and seemed like a disjointed, hard to follow mess.
Old 07-07-23, 12:15 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,565 Times in 4,422 Posts
I noticed the past couple of days my iPhone (14) camera is acting buggy. It focus/defocuses every 1/2 second and won’t take a picture (or takes it a second after I want it to). I tried playing with different settings and it still happens. Anyone notice the same thing??
Old 07-07-23, 12:19 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Flies are annoying, but not as annoying as sweat bees, or the horse flies I encountered while farming.
A bumblebee to the cheek while descending @40mph is annoying. Kinda like being punched by someone who doesn't hit very hard.

A honey bee hitting your sunglasses and breaking apart then part of it going into your eye is also annoying.

A wasp going inside your (unzipped) jersey and stinging you multiple times before it finds it's way out is very annoying.

A bald-face hornet flying up the leg of your loose fitting shorts and stinging you on the butt is extremely annoying, not to mention quite painful.
Old 07-07-23, 12:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Speaking of spoilers, Canyon needs to stop sending out emails with titles that give away results at 10:43 in the goddam morning.

On another topic, Zwift came out with what are essentially game controllers that mount on your handlebars, with navigation and game play buttons on top, and steering and brakes on the bottom. I saw a video by GP Lama that made them seem like fun, so I bought a set. SO, this week I've been doing Zwift rides instead of IRL ones. The controllers are great! Easier to use than the keyboard and mouse on the table left of the bike, for sure! But it's the steering that's been all kinds of fun. Last night I did a crit race, 9 laps of a 2 km circuit. With the steering, I was able to always tuck in behind the leaders and do about 1 w/kg less work. And on any turn, I could take the inside line and end up ahead by as much as a bike length. It's almost like cheating, racing against riders without steering!

The other thing I did was try out Zwift's new "Climb Portal", where you can do a climb from the Tour, though the graphics are not even remotely realistic.

Since I hadn't ridden this before, and it sounded bad (2660 feet in 8.4 miles), I rode conservatively. I never ran my HR past 154, which is well below AT. The graphics, for all that they're unrealistic, were actually motivating, because I could see less steep segments ahead. Since the rains bollixed up my usual climbing roads at least till October, this seems like a good way to stay in climbing shape.

Old 07-07-23, 12:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by big john
No but I get very nervous during the sprints and I hate to see the crashes.

I found out the race is broadcast on USA network which is included in my basic cable. Lots of commercials, though, and it's Phil and Bobke. Also, it's not on demand so you have to watch it live. The only thing they have on demand it a highlight show which is 20-30 minutes and seemed like a disjointed, hard to follow mess.
I found that, too. I had to keep looking up at the upper left corner to figure out where they were. Yesterday they jumped from Col d'Aspin to the Tourmalet without any warning.

Old 07-07-23, 01:45 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,442 Times in 1,975 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Just back from a very humid ride. The Halo worked great.

I went out to one of the hardest hills in the area. It’s about 1 mile, the first 3/4 mile is about 9% then the last 1/4 mile kicks up to 15% and is really tough.

I did my best to enjoy the climb, but was bothered immensely by a few flies (gnats maybe?) that kept circling my head and dive-bombing into my face. I was riding too slow to drop them, and my feeble attempts to swat them away were futile.

Flies are annoying. Hills are awesome.
Do you use your halo for sweat management?
Old 07-07-23, 01:48 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by DougRNS
Do you use your halo for sweat management?
Of COURSE I do!

At least it keeps the sweat out of my eyes.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-07-23, 01:48 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I need something for pesky fly management. Should I post a thread?
Old 07-07-23, 01:50 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

I need something for pesky fly management. Should I post a thread?
it's the BF way.
Old 07-07-23, 02:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

it's the BF way.
And never, EVER search to see if there's already a thread on the same topic.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-07-23, 02:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

A bumblebee to the cheek while descending @40mph is annoying. Kinda like being punched by someone who doesn't hit very hard.

A honey bee hitting your sunglasses and breaking apart then part of it going into your eye is also annoying.

A wasp going inside your (unzipped) jersey and stinging you multiple times before it finds it's way out is very annoying.

A bald-face hornet flying up the leg of your loose fitting shorts and stinging you on the butt is extremely annoying, not to mention quite painful.
An unknown insect entering one of your helmet vents and crawling around on the scalp is a bit of bother, too. I have been known to quickly pull over to the side of the road and whip off my helmet if I am convinced the insect was large enough to be one of the ones that stings.

But probably the worst such insect encounter in my experience was taking a June Bug to the forehead at 50 mph one warm summer evening, driving my MGB near Ithaca.

Old 07-07-23, 02:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

it's the BF way.
The REAL BF way is to buy the product first, then post asking if it was a good deal.

#41est
Old 07-07-23, 02:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

My flying insect story is the time a yellow jacket wasp got under my jersey and stung me several times. Ouch. It was at the end of the ride. On my way home, I broke out in full body hives, started to have tongue/lip swelling, and an impending feeling of doom. It was not pleasant.

My wife took me to the hospital and I got a shot of epinephrine which was interesting, it made me feel so intense like my head was about to pop off, or as if I drank a gallon of potent coffee. But it made the allergic reaction go away.

I hate yellow jacket wasps. Evil.
Old 07-07-23, 02:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2022 Trek Supercaliber, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,957 Times in 4,199 Posts
My flying insect story is the time a yellow jacket wasp got under my jersey and stung me several times. Ouch. It was at the end of the ride. On my way home, I broke out in full body hives, started to have tongue/lip swelling, and an impending feeling of doom. It was not pleasant.

My wife took me to the hospital and I got a shot of epinephrine which was interesting, it made me feel so intense like my head was about to pop off, or as if I drank a gallon of potent coffee. But it made the allergic reaction go away.

Bees aren't malicious, but will defend themselves when freaked out. Yellow jackets are @$$holes.
Old 07-07-23, 02:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

One of them ****ers stung me just for trying to use a water tap to fill a bottle once. Bastards.

Old 07-07-23, 03:33 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,064 Times in 1,444 Posts

The few times I've been stung while riding I never really saw the culprit to ID it.
Old 07-07-23, 04:15 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,183 Times in 3,715 Posts
I got stung on the tongue once . . . put a beer down while chatting, and took a swig without checking.
Old 07-07-23, 04:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2022 Trek Supercaliber, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,957 Times in 4,199 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I got stung on the tongue once . . . put a beer down while chatting, and took a swig without checking.
Old 07-07-23, 04:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Eric F
Do NOT eat the Jalapeno Sky raisins!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-07-23, 04:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,537 Times in 4,548 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
OUCH!

Yellow jacket got me in the bottom lip once. I was out painting a house, taking a break enjoying a carton of chocolate milk and a bag of popcorn. Took a gulp of milk and there's something in it! I figured it was a piece of popcorn I'd dropped in the milk at first but quickly determined it was moving then spit it out but he still got me.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-07-23, 04:28 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
The few times I've been stung while riding I never really saw the culprit to ID it.
I've watched them sting me on the arms and legs while riding. The one that hit the glasses was in pieces on the glasses and my face. The bumblebee, I'm not certain but I got a quick glimpse of it before it slammed into me.
The one in the jersey stung multiple times, had to be a wasp. And the bald face hornet is said to be the most painful insect sting in California, at least. I agree with that.
Old 07-07-23, 06:15 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

I've been stung 3 times. Twice in Ohio near the PA border on the corner of the mouth and once on the head in Georgia on the silver Comet trail. Being the bad ass that I am I shrugged it off.
#NoDrama
Old 07-07-23, 06:49 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,937 Times in 2,647 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Speaking of spoilers, Canyon needs to stop sending out emails with titles that give away results at 10:43 in the goddam morning.

On another topic, Zwift came out with what are essentially game controllers that mount on your handlebars, with navigation and game play buttons on top, and steering and brakes on the bottom. I saw a video by GP Lama that made them seem like fun, so I bought a set. SO, this week I've been doing Zwift rides instead of IRL ones. The controllers are great! Easier to use than the keyboard and mouse on the table left of the bike, for sure! But it's the steering that's been all kinds of fun. Last night I did a crit race, 9 laps of a 2 km circuit. With the steering, I was able to always tuck in behind the leaders and do about 1 w/kg less work. And on any turn, I could take the inside line and end up ahead by as much as a bike length. It's almost like cheating, racing against riders without steering!

The other thing I did was try out Zwift's new "Climb Portal", where you can do a climb from the Tour, though the graphics are not even remotely realistic.

Since I hadn't ridden this before, and it sounded bad (2660 feet in 8.4 miles), I rode conservatively. I never ran my HR past 154, which is well below AT. The graphics, for all that they're unrealistic, were actually motivating, because I could see less steep segments ahead. Since the rains bollixed up my usual climbing roads at least till October, this seems like a good way to stay in climbing shape.
Have you ever been to Col d'Aspin? It could look exactly like that.
Old 07-07-23, 06:50 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

10.03 miles. Felt fatigued from yesterday. I'm thrilled to be riding even though it's miniscule.
Likes For DougRNS:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.