Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIX

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIX

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 09:26 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,204 Times in 4,264 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I know. After all the Saturn dealers closed I got to work on a ton of them. Was never really a fan of the old buzz-bomb 1.9. Simple, but meh. Then there was a butt-load of the hybrid Vue things to deal with. First, the leaking hybrid batteries, then the recall of the batteries leaking or not. I accidentally shorted something and fried the 200 amp fuse in the rear cargo area of one and balls of red hot molten metal rained down, burning holes in the carpet. Luckily the car was hammered so the carpet didn't matter.

That might have been my biggest screw-up with an electric or hybrid car. I did once take the battery out of a Volt without disabling it but didn't get shocked.

All the later model Saturns were just re-badged Chevrolets, so familiar turf.

I just remembered they had that awful V-6, a Vauxall, I think. Oh, and the Astra. How could I ever forget the Astra. The only thing marketed by GM that had it's own language. You couldn't plug a Tech 2 into it and read data until you erased the Tech 2 and reloaded it with Astra specific programs. Ridiculous. Later lap-top apps had a program you could use with an interface device to talk to the Astra but it always needed to be updated when one of the cars came in, even to just read a code. Generic code readers would work, though.
The Saturns of the 1990s were great cars IMO. The 1.9 is nearly indestructible as long as you check the oil. Mine has 184K on it and among the saturn people, they are considering this as a middle aged engine.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-20-20, 09:35 AM
big john

Liked 9,448 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
The Saturns of the 1990s were great cars IMO. The 1.9 is nearly indestructible as long as you check the oil. Mine has 184K on it and among the saturn people, they are considering this as a middle aged engine.
Like I said, simple, but meh. So many of them have that awful vibration. Maybe new motor mounts could help, I never got that far with one.

I had my S-10 Blazer for 18 years and sold it running well with close to 300K on it. I neglected it in a big way for years but it refused to quit. It had the notoriously wimpy 2.8 V6. Never had the heads off or the pan.
I have 190K on my Trailblazer, runs nice. Hasn't been neglected yet, give me time.
Old 08-20-20, 09:36 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 4,922 Times in 2,844 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
So at least I shouldn’t feel weak for it. I had wondered if I should have the trainer bike set up as a roadie, but probably better to be in TT position for the easy parts and get on the horns for power. Microshift TT shifters were cheaper, too.
When I decided to throw comfort out the window, and concentrate on aero, my power sucked, but I moved. Had I done that sooner in my life, and been more firm with my coach, I/we would be money right now. He is an advocate of power over everything, but I finally talked him into getting lower, just to see and prove it, because that's where I was going. He did it, dropped a good 10% power, which matched my readings yet realized he was going faster from day one. We both did it too late for the 40k, but the results were encouraging, to say the least. I'll be spending my off season getting stronger on that. I know a tri set up needs to be much more forgiving, but there are few people that can match road bike power on a TT bike. Rohan Dennis is one of them, but he's a freak.I say that in a very good way.
Old 08-20-20, 09:37 AM
LAJ
So it is

Like I said, simple, but meh. So many of them have that awful vibration. Maybe new motor mounts could help, I never got that far with one.

I had my S-10 Blazer for 18 years and sold it running well with close to 300K on it. I neglected it in a big way for years but it refused to quit. It had the notoriously wimpy 2.8 V6. Never had the heads off or the pan.
I have 190K on my Trailblazer, runs nice. Hasn't been neglected yet, give me time.
The awful vibration is the A/C line on the firewall. That's the noise part of it, anyway.
Old 08-20-20, 09:39 AM
LAJ
So it is

Nothing says quality like the Catera and Saturn LC Series with that Opel (snot) V-6. Hurl-worthy.
Old 08-20-20, 09:42 AM
big john

Originally Posted by LAJ
The awful vibration is the A/C line on the firewall. That's the noise part of it, anyway.
By the time I saw any of the older ones they were at the let's just keep it alive phase and not the it's still under warranty and it must be perfect phase.
I'll remember that if I ever go back to work, though.
Old 08-20-20, 09:43 AM
big john

Originally Posted by LAJ
Nothing says quality like the Catera and Saturn LC Series with that Opel (snot) V-6. Hurl-worthy.
That's the one! Opel? Makes sense, I thought it was Vauxall. Maybe same thing?
Likes For big john:
Old 08-20-20, 09:44 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 5,971 Times in 3,219 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
It seems like that’s first symptom of over training for me. My legs get like this restless feeling and it makes it hard to sleep. I usually end up on the floor so I don’t keep the wife awake.
You may have restless leg syndrome, which is very common and can be exercise related. It can be treated quite effectively by a knowledgeable physician, i.e., a neurologist with competence in movement disorders. However, there are plenty of docs just throwing sleeping pills at it, which is to be avoided at all costs. If you want to see someone, VCU is probably your best local resource.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 08-20-20 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 09:49 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
You may have restless leg syndrome, which is very common and can be exercise related. It can be treated quite effectively by a knowledgeable physician, i.e., a neurologist with competence in movement disorders. However, there are plenty of docs just throwing sleeping pills at it, which is to be avoided at all costs. If you want to see someone, VCU is probably your best local resource.
Tell me more, please. Mrs. LAJ and her Mom both suffer through it. I get it, but only when The Gimp has been setting my training load, and that's almost expected, as you say.
Old 08-20-20, 09:53 AM
big john

Mrs John says she has that. She's sedentary, however. I never get it, I get rapid heartbeat after over doing it. Had some a-fib a couple years ago but nothing was done.
I just got the "you look good for your age" diagnosis.
Old 08-20-20, 09:54 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,306 Times in 2,267 Posts
not sure if it’s that or if is like whyfi said, where my quads have a dull pain and I am trying to relieve it. if that makes sense.
Old 08-20-20, 09:59 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by LAJ
When I decided to throw comfort out the window, and concentrate on aero, my power sucked, but I moved. Had I done that sooner in my life, and been more firm with my coach, I/we would be money right now. He is an advocate of power over everything, but I finally talked him into getting lower, just to see and prove it, because that's where I was going. He did it, dropped a good 10% power, which matched my readings yet realized he was going faster from day one. We both did it too late for the 40k, but the results were encouraging, to say the least. I'll be spending my off season getting stronger on that. I know a tri set up needs to be much more forgiving, but there are few people that can match road bike power on a TT bike. Rohan Dennis is one of them, but he's a freak.I say that in a very good way.
I don't think I would like a TT bike very much and hills must be simply agonizing. Fortunately, I don't have space for one.

I am getting a gradually lower, but I need to work on flattening the lumbar spine when I'm in the drops. I keep my shoulders down and my elbows bent I hunch up and get achy if I'm not constantly working on it.
Old 08-20-20, 10:00 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Mrs John says she has that. She's sedentary, however. I never get it, I get rapid heartbeat after over doing it. Had some a-fib a couple years ago but nothing was done.
I just got the "you look good for your age" diagnosis.
Very common throughout the population. I take anything that disrupts sleep pretty seriously.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Tell me more, please. Mrs. LAJ and her Mom both suffer through it. I get it, but only when The Gimp has been setting my training load, and that's almost expected, as you say.
The genetics and the mechanism are just beginning to be worked out, but there are some pretty specific treatments available. Any good movement disorder doc should be able to handle it. It's also closely associated with something called "periodic movements of sleep," which can be quite disruptive too. Anyone who's really annoyed by it or has it bad enough to cause daytime sleepiness should get it seen.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 08-20-20 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 10:10 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,162 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
OK, Smartass,

Vol being vol. SMH.
Old 08-20-20, 10:14 AM
LAJ
So it is

Very common throughout the population. I take anything that disrupts sleep pretty seriously.

The genetics and the mechanism are just beginning to be worked out, but there are some pretty specific treatments available. Any good movement disorder doc should be able to handle it. It's also closely associated with something called "periodic movements of sleep," which can be quite disruptive too. Anyone who's really annoyed by it or has it bad enough to cause daytime sleepiness should get it seen.
Thank you. The MIL has been dealing with it for a long time, and back then, like you said, it was more of a muscle relaxer, sleeping pill, and other pill cure, which were largely ineffective. Since Mrs. LAJ is now starting to show signs, I'll have to tell them to rattle some cages.
Old 08-20-20, 10:16 AM
LAJ
So it is

I don't think I would like a TT bike very much and hills must be simply agonizing. Fortunately, I don't have space for one.

I am getting a gradually lower, but I need to work on flattening the lumbar spine when I'm in the drops. I keep my shoulders down and my elbows bent I hunch up and get achy if I'm not constantly working on it.
It's hard, but just like you this morning, making gains just makes me want more.
Old 08-20-20, 10:19 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by LAJ
Thank you. The MIL has been dealing with it for a long time, and back then, like you said, it was more of a muscle relaxer, sleeping pill, and other pill cure, which were largely ineffective. Since Mrs. LAJ is now starting to show signs, I'll have to tell them to rattle some cages.
My MIL had it and was prescribed clonazepam, a long-acting sedative, which practically put her in a coma a few times. Pills tend to be what's on offer, but anyone with a bad or difficult-to-treat case should be worked up for a disorder of iron metabolism, which can be very subtle and hard to trace. That is, the usual iron tests can be normal.
Old 08-20-20, 10:41 AM
LAJ
So it is

My MIL had it and was prescribed clonazepam, a long-acting sedative, which practically put her in a coma a few times. Pills tend to be what's on offer, but anyone with a bad or difficult-to-treat case should be worked up for a disorder of iron metabolism, which can be very subtle and hard to trace. That is, the usual iron tests can be normal.
Again, thank you.
Old 08-20-20, 10:42 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
not sure if it’s that or if is like whyfi said, where my quads have a dull pain and I am trying to relieve it. if that makes sense.
Fast and cheap option is a foam roller, as WhyFi suggested.
Old 08-20-20, 10:44 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Waiting for the No Mas Clavos to set up. I used it to replace the tiles loosened by the sink violence. Then I will glue the sink in with silicone and have at the plumbing. Looking forward to the end of this project. It will be a great improvement in kitchen experience.

Old 08-20-20, 10:54 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 6,873 Times in 3,576 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
As I was riding through the valley a woman pulled out of her driveway on what I think is what Cannondale is calling its touring bike and said “tag” to me.
You got hit on? Sweet!
Old 08-20-20, 10:58 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 6,873 Times in 3,576 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Vol being vol. SMH.
He's just inquisitive, right?
Old 08-20-20, 11:16 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,412 Times in 6,349 Posts
I've heard stories from car mechanics who have moved from salt states and have worked on corroded cars a bit myself. They say you can't have a shop without a cutting torch and you have to make a lot of brake and fuel lines.
I grew up in southern Pennsylvania, where they salted the roads a bit. Cars last about 15 years there, and get a lot of patching and reinforcing the close they get to the end of that time. PA also has a "no rust-through" rule, and semi-annual inspections which means a lot of Bondo.

After college I bought a 14 year old MGB, which turned out to be due for its patching and reinforcing. Then I moved to Ithaca, in central New York, where cars last 10 years, but there's not a "no rust-through" rule. Cars there last maybe 10-12 years. I saw 10 year old cars whose front fenders consisted of the inner fender liner and the headlight and side marker light areas, with the rest rusted away - that was a Chevy Vega. In Ithaca, mechanics were AMAZED at the wonderful state of my rusty MGB, because it was actually still on the road.

Two years later, I moved to California. Cars here last till they crap out mechanically and become unfixable, or they get totalled. Suddenly, my 'amazingly well preserved' MGB became 'a rusted out piece of s***', and when the brakes started failing, I could not get a mechanic to fix them - "Not without a tetanus shot!" said one. That was the end of my MGB. Traded it for a bottom-of-the-line Toyota.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-20-20, 11:31 AM
LAJ
So it is

Upsides/Downsides With rust, it's been about 20 years minimum that anyone has had to work on a carburetor and the car it came on. Old feedback Quadrajets are crap, and there are still many of those heaps on the road here.
Old 08-20-20, 11:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,412 Times in 6,349 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Upsides/Downsides With rust, it's been about 20 years minimum that anyone has had to work on a carburetor and the car it came on. Old feedback Quadrajets are crap, and there are still many of those heaps on the road here.
Ha! Not in California! I have a friend who likes old Toyotas. He bought a 1987 Land Cruiser from a coworker. It has a carburetor, which he can't really do much to because of smog rules. It has a 4.2L engine that produces all of 135 hp. Gets about 12 mpg. Slow as molasses. One year newer, and he'd have EFI. He's actually considered whether to buy a 1988 engine for it, but it would be pricey.

EDIT: I think this was about the very end of carburetors generally, when they'd added so many different adjustments that it had to be tweaked within an inch of its life just to run. This is why EFI took over. Yeah, a Holley 4bbl carb (or two) sitting on a big 7L V8 looks nice and gives me a nice warm feeling, but they were dinosaurs.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 08-20-20 at 11:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.