Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2017! The how was your commute thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2017! The how was your commute thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-17, 09:02 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
A company that was considering hiring me told me they'd be doing a background check on me. I figured it would happen at other places, and I was curious what my records, if any, said. So I paid for a background check on myself. I think it cost $50. It turned out to be clean, and I'm glad I checked, just for peace of mind. Errors like yours are less likely for me, as my name is unusual. It's so unusual that I'm the only person on the whole internet with my first and last names. There are one or two others with my name, but they're not on the internet. I guess it's because it's a Catholic first name and a Jewish last name.
True, my first/last name is about the fifth most common in the USA, if those name ranking sites are to be believed. It sounds like you've got that covered. However, as @mgw4jc said (and I work further upstream in that industry), after any adverse decision they are required to provide you the report if it's a credit check, and should provide it or tell you how to get it in the case of more general background checks. Just be sure to obtain it either way.

The thing is, a lot of those background checks just give the employer a rating number and no other information. They don't actually know specifically why they're rejecting the applicant and the employer doesn't have to give you anything in that case, but they do have to show you the path to get it. The other thing, maybe more important, is that those background checks are compiled from different sources with varying levels of accuracy, especially the cheaper ones. So don't take anything for granted. There can always be errors. But enough unasked for advice, I'm just trying to provide moral support here.
Old 12-08-17, 09:24 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 235 Posts
...So Tuesday I traveled to the Boston area. Thanks to their graces, I stayed at the home of @jimmuller and his Sweetie. We had a really nice time together, and I got to see Jim’s bikes and his commuting routine.
Glad it worked out for you. It was great having you visit, and thanks for letting me show off my modest collection.

This morning, it was so cold that even Jim decided against riding to work. Weather doesn't often keep Jim from riding. But I saw this as good judgment, so since I’m heading home from the seminar, so I just drove the car.
Well, that day (yesterday) ended up a bit warmer and the ride home would have been quite pleasant. But after the late previous night the rest was good, plus it let me arrive at work quite a bit earlier and leave later and get more done!

FWIW I did ride in today though the temperature was about a degree colder. When it gets down into the mid-20's my thumbs get cold from being hooked over the brake hoods. But it was a nice ride. This might be my last bike commute for a while because 4 to 6 inches of snow is predicted. Traffic was much lighter than usual today. Instead of going to work everybody must have gone to a local store to buy milk and eggs. That's what people tend to do when snow is predicted.
Old 12-08-17, 09:25 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
A company that was considering hiring me told me they'd be doing a background check on me. I figured it would happen at other places, and I was curious what my records, if any, said. So I paid for a background check on myself. I think it cost $50. It turned out to be clean, and I'm glad I checked, just for peace of mind. Errors like yours are less likely for me, as my name is unusual. It's so unusual that I'm the only person on the whole internet with my first and last names. There are one or two others with my name, but they're not on the internet. I guess it's because it's a Catholic first name and a Jewish last name.
Sounds smart to get the background check report for yourself. I never saw mine. I only recall my old job using Adecco for my background check in the early 2000's. So I guess they are one of the companies that do it. This reminds me that a PM at that job was let go because of falsifying information on his resume. Moral of the story is never lie about anything on the resume...

Back on topic: I had a nice ride into work this morning. Friday is almost always great since the traffic in NYC is lighter. I ran into a co-worker whilest going downtown in Harlem and had a chat. Its nice to talk with my fellow cyclecommuters once in a while. I heard that we are supposed to get 2 to 4 in of snow tomorrow. I usually don;t ride on the weekends. But I hope that the roads aren't too hosed on Monday. Will see...

Last edited by ptempel; 12-08-17 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-08-17, 09:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
I put on the CVS generic equivalent of Tegaderm just this morning. It looks like plastic wrap with a lot of little holes in it. It is pretty pricey. The CVS brand costs a little over $7 a box of 3. So ~$2.33 a piece. Almost want to take plastic wrap and make a ton of little holes with a pin. All of these plastic wrpas are nice, but I also still have to put on sergical tape to help keep them on. They never stay on well enough by themselves...
Haha, you're right in the middle of the same learning curve I had. Man, even their generic is a ripoff :-D The name brand is so much less if you buy online
https://www.amazon.com/Tegaderm-Tran...dp/B076QR6FBG/
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-08-17, 10:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
This might be my last bike commute for a while because 4 to 6 inches of snow is predicted. Traffic was much lighter than usual today. Instead of going to work everybody must have gone to a local store to buy milk and eggs. That's what people tend to do when snow is predicted.

Huh, I thought that was only down south where it snows once a year (in a good year!). Except that we all buy milk and bread instead of eggs.

Last night and this morning were my first commutes since the cold front came through. Dark, gray, windy, and did I mention cold? Tires needed pumping and I had a hard time convincing myself to "sharpen the saw," that the additional speed on the ride would make up the time it took to pump them while shivering. I warmed up on the ride, some, but I don't know if I made up the pumping time. :/
Old 12-08-17, 10:50 AM
wphamilton

Still snowing, hard! The temp is rising slightly, to 35° (but wind-chill below freezing) and with only 1 inch forecast by quitting time I don't think any will stick on the road anyway. Not likely to have frozen spots on the ground - there was quite a bit of standing water this morning. What do you snow experts think?
Old 12-08-17, 10:58 AM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pea soup fog in the dark again, but at least it's well above freezing so no worries about black ice.

I've been loving the shape that my bike light cuts through the fog.
Old 12-08-17, 11:00 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Haha, you're right in the middle of the same learning curve I had. Man, even their generic is a ripoff :-D The name brand is so much less if you buy online
https://www.amazon.com/Tegaderm-Tran...dp/B076QR6FBG/
Wow, $16 for a pack of 20? Thanks for the link! Even though I only need 4x4, there's 10 of them so that should do me for now.
Old 12-08-17, 11:37 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Had a convoluted plan to be able to ride home today; car A needed service, so was going to drop it at shop, then my wife would pick me up w/ car B with bike rack and my commuter, so she could drop me at the office and I could ride home. Then, after yesterday, became clear our mornings are too icy for kids to ride, so would add my daughter's bike to the rack, drive her to school, drop the bike with her so she could ride home. Son is concussed so not going to school today.

Then it all kind of fell apart where the car hatchback was too iced over to open, so could not mount the bike rack. Figured this in town for my daughter to catch a ride so she got to school. Car A dropped, wife picked me up in Car B. And the two of us plus our son are off to the urgent care in Car B. Hopefully A will be done by the end of the day.
Old 12-08-17, 12:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7414 Post(s)
Liked 2,616 Times in 1,524 Posts
I rode to a doctor's appointment today. I took my fixie for the first time in a long time. I wonder why I had the saddle set so low. Was I riding a low saddle a year ago?

It inspired me to get my track racing bike rolling again, to see if it's fun at all. The fixie (a 1975 Viscount I converted to fixed gear) was a whole lot of fun to ride.

It's cold and humid in that raw kind of way, but I was dressed really well for it, and it felt good.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-08-17, 01:17 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
Wow, $16 for a pack of 20? Thanks for the link! Even though I only need 4x4, there's 10 of them so that should do me for now.

Here's hoping your need for Tegaderm is so low half of them dry up before you need them!
Old 12-08-17, 02:59 PM
wphamilton

I was wrong again, the snow did stick and there was freezing slush everywhere. Our offices closed early so I was able to make the first tracks in the snow. I love doing that, but I don't often get the chance.

About halfway home, the soft pretty snow flurries surrendered to mean stinging frozen rain. Cold water everywhere, with a carpet of brown leaves on top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bikesnow.jpg (749.8 KB, 68 views)
pathsnow1.jpg (629.0 KB, 66 views)
snowtracks.jpg (1.40 MB, 67 views)
Old 12-08-17, 03:30 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
That's double-cool! 14F with a bit of a headwind. I wish you Canadians would keep your cold fronts to yourselves! As I got into downtown there were fire trucks everywhere from a downtown building fire. Apparently both fire and police don't care about cyclists because while all car traffic was being diverted I rode right through saying hello to the fireman as I did.
I have done that a couple times. ridden through fire and ambulance situations. I ask the guy stopping traffic if I could get through and they are like go ahead.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I was wrong again, the snow did stick and there was freezing slush everywhere. Our offices closed early so I was able to make the first tracks in the snow. I love doing that, but I don't often get the chance.About halfway home, the soft pretty snow flurries surrendered to mean stinging frozen rain. Cold water everywhere, with a carpet of brown leaves on top.

that is some neat pictures. Looks like you have some serious ice issues. be careful.

we have some nice snow coming down. they are calling for 3-5 inches which is a lot for North Cackalacky!

(I drove today because my wife 1. asked me to 2. because I need to take my daughter somewhere. (it was cancelled).

about to drive home slowly
Old 12-08-17, 06:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7414 Post(s)
Liked 2,616 Times in 1,524 Posts
Nice pitchers, @wphamilton.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-08-17, 07:19 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Huh, I thought that was only down south where it snows once a year (in a good year!). Except that we all buy milk and bread instead of eggs.
Um, I'm from down south but it's been a while. I must've fergot what they do.
Old 12-09-17, 10:06 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
First commute in the snow this year, first commute on studded tires!

Wow, what a difference. Totally comfortable riding through snow/packed ice in the city with traffic. Honestly shocked at how good traction was. When it's cold...I'm never getting out of the saddle and hammering or anything...so I think I can say traction will never be a determining factor for my riding this winter. Very excited.

Now I need to sort out fenders for my 26" winter beater bike...I have a wet butt
Old 12-11-17, 07:30 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
We had some snow and sleet on Friday, but not enough to make the roads bad. I met my wife part way home and only rode 5 miles in it. The sleet kinda hurt if it got me in the face and my fingers got cold, but I was fine for the most part. Got a hot chocolate after meeting her and got warmed up.

Just under 30F this morning but clear and roads are dry. On a MUP, the wooden bridges still had some icy spots, but none big enough to be scary. The white-tailed deer that I saw seemed okay with it too.
Old 12-11-17, 07:49 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
WOW I thought it was really pretty to see my headlight sparkle off the snow on the side of the roads this morning. I also saw 18F on the GPS this morning. It was only 5 degrees from my coldest ride record (13F). I rode through a stream along the greenway and froze my brakes. [probably not the smartest way to go] It was not too big a deal until I came around a curve later and a masked bandit (raccoon) was strolling toward me. I could not stop so I veered into the grass and snow on the side of the greenway. I kept it rubber side down the whole way ... even with ice on the roads/ trails. Good ride.

I forgot my work socks too. but sure beats driving. I have to hustle home tonight to make it to a Christmas Party. I hope it is a bit warmer.
Old 12-11-17, 08:24 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 119 Posts
A warm front moved in yesterday causing this morning's temps to be 40F. This will be short lived as the temp is supposed to drop steadily throughout the day. The commute home should be below freezing as usual for this time of year.

Along with the front came 30 mph winds with gusts much higher. I had to ride straight into it for the trip to the office. However, given the choice I'd rather fight it on the way in and get a push home than the other way around.

The warm temps haven't yet melted off all of the ice from last Monday's storm, but I decided it was patchy enough to leave the winter bike in the garage and ride the hybrid. Wow, what a difference. Even fighting that brutal headwind I made it to work faster and with noticeably less effort than my winter bike on a calm day.

I know studded winter tires provide some resistance, but I'm starting to have a hard time believing that it's just the tires making that much difference. I've already double checked that I don't have any brake pads dragging. The wheels seem to spin free. I sure hope I figure this out because I'm starting to loathe riding my winter bike. Loathing any bicycle can't be healthy.
Old 12-11-17, 09:45 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
24F with a bit of a headwind. Forecast is for another round of cold temps and freezing rain tonight. I really don't want to put the studs on but afraid it'll be necessary tomorrow. @Tundra_Man I was having a really tough time with rides last week and discovered yesterday I did have a brake dragging (yay for disk brakes... not). What a difference today - though putting the studs on will negate that.
Old 12-11-17, 01:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I set up the commuter bike with the back seat and went inside to find the 3yo spraying 409 all over the kitchen. His normal reaction in such situations is much like that of a seagull or coyote... he’ll keep doing it til chased, then run away with it, then cast it away when capture is certain. Conscious of the danger to my eyeballs, I asked, told, ordered, yelled at him to stop, then lunged for the bottle... and did a giant pratfall when my bike shoes met the puddle, taking him down with me. He cried, I cried, wife and dogs ran in to see. My tailbone is bruised. That always takes forever to heal.

later in the ride, I found a plush reindeer antler from a car window. :/

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-11-17 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 02:31 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@timvan_78 I see your pea soup fog and raise it nuclear reactor concrete fog.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oBIxbirQU0py0k0D2

The clear photos were Wednesday. The fog was Thursday. The screenshot of light blue route was my route to town without a compass.

Thick fog on the water is eerie and scary (if you have no reference point).
Old 12-11-17, 05:53 PM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
2 inches of new snow with very heavy snow coming down for the first 2 miles. Then it changed to wintery mix, then to freezing rain. A thick layer of ice on my helmet when I got in to work. I'd sure hate to have to drive through that stuff.
Old 12-11-17, 11:44 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

But I heard him exclaim ere he drove out of sight,
"I'm signalling left but I'll prob'ly turn right"

Untitled by Darth Lefty, on Flickr

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-11-17 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-12-17, 07:15 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by OmegaWolf
2 inches of new snow with very heavy snow coming down for the first 2 miles. Then it changed to wintery mix, then to freezing rain. A thick layer of ice on my helmet when I got in to work. I'd sure hate to have to drive through that stuff.
Too funny!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.